PDA

View Full Version : removing 250x kickstart shaft?

Uncaged
10-07-2003, 08:25 PM
Can someone tell me the procedure for removing the kick start shaft on a 250x? I can't see any other things holding it in. The only thing I can figure is that the springs are holding in, but I don't know how.

Any help getting this thing out?

ghak99
10-07-2003, 08:58 PM
There is a large return spring behind the gear. It will be hooked into a hole in the center of the case. I always just used a screwdriver to slide it out of the hole. Just wait till you have to put it back in.....that sucks!

Uncaged
10-08-2003, 11:15 AM
Well, I got the kickstarter shaft out this morning, and without any tools.:rolleyes:

After all the idler gears and brackets are off and the only thing left is the kick start shaft with the big gear on it, put the kick starter lever (that you put your foot on) back on the shaft.

The kickstart return spring holds the whole assembly in, but mostly, there's another bracket under the big gear that holds the ratchet pawl in. That's what prevents it from coming out.

Turn the kickstart lever about 180 degrees (against the spring) clockwise and pull. This allows the bump that's on the kickstart ratchet pawl to clear the bracket that holds it in. It'll come out about 3/4" then you can twist the kickstart shaft back so that the tension comes off the return spring, and the whole thing just comes right out!

I imagine installation is the reverse of removal, but we'll see. Thought that might help somebody!

FYI - this is for the kick start conversion into my 300ex. :D