PDA

View Full Version : Hipers Leaking

JOEX
10-07-2003, 07:54 PM
I picked up a pair of used front hipers 4-1 offset. Having trouble getting them to hold air.

They leak in a few spots inbetween the inner edge of the ring and the rim. I have tightend them down fairly tight I think.

Is there a torque spec for these? Do I need to use some kind of sealant? Any thing else?

Joe

remlapr
10-07-2003, 08:06 PM
Spincr4hire had this problem with his - not sure what he ended up doing, but he finally got them to seal. I've heard of people putting a bead of silicone between the ring and the rim body on beadlocks before to solve the problem

10-07-2003, 08:25 PM
try spreading soapy water around the bead that might help

Taco
10-08-2003, 05:48 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
I picked up a pair of used front hipers 4-1 offset. Having trouble getting them to hold air.

They leak in a few spots inbetween the inner edge of the ring and the rim. I have tightend them down fairly tight I think.

Is there a torque spec for these? Do I need to use some kind of sealant? Any thing else?

Joe Yes there is a torque spec for these but i can't seem to remember what it is. I'll check later for ya if know one else chimes in. spray both sides of the tire with some amorall or something to that effect.

10-08-2003, 05:59 AM
Originally posted by Taco
Yes there is a torque spec for these but i can't seem to remember what it is. I'll check later for ya if know one else chimes in. spray both sides of the tire with some amorall or something to that effect.

If you have no useful info, don't post...:grr:

Taco
10-08-2003, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by Rico
If you have no useful info, don't post...:grr: Ermmmm Bite me:D 8-11 ft. lbs (96-132in-lbs) for the rings and 9-11 ft lbs(108-132in-lbs) for the center section.:D

JOEX
10-08-2003, 08:37 AM
Thanks Guys and Girls:)

Joe

cdalejef
10-08-2003, 09:57 AM
You may have the origional Hipers that came with gaskets (new ones come with 0-rings). You can take them apart and use silicone on both sides of the gasket then put them back together. This should solve your problem.

spincr4hire
10-08-2003, 10:23 AM
Use lots of WD-40, and tighten bolts in a clockwise motion.

Ex'r Marlin
10-08-2003, 11:09 AM
If it is leaking between the beadlock ring (outside ring) and the rim, then it seems as though the ring is not fully mounted to the rim.

I have torqued the bolts to there specs and noticed that the beadlock ring did not fully mate to the rim. I torqued the bolts so that the beadlock ring mates with the rim. In other words, if I saw a gap between the beadlock ring and rim, I tightened it down further til there was no gap. (Except were the 3 mud plug recessed areas are).

Good luck!:)

If it means anything, I have the Tech 2 rims.

ScreaminZ400
10-08-2003, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by spincr4hire
Use lots of WD-40, and tighten bolts in a clockwise motion.
tighten them in a caddy corner direction, like oposite sides so that one side isnt all tight while the other side isnt even on...

Ex'r Marlin
10-08-2003, 11:45 AM
As for tightening the beadlock ring to the rim, I recommend tightening the one bolt a little of the way down, move to the next one in either direction, tighten that bolt to same depth as the first until all bolts are the same depth, then start over again in a somewhat clockwise direction. I try to be cautious to avoid a chance of snapping the ring. Again, I tighten the bolt a little at a time until I move to the next one.

NOTE: Before I mounted my front rims, I trimmed the excess rubber (flash) around the inside diameter of the tire with a razor blade.

JOEX
10-08-2003, 08:06 PM
Jeff, i'm assuming you mean the gasket/o-ring inbetween each half of the rim and the center piece. I didn't check that area for leakage but I know it is leaking around the ring, I used the water/air bubble method:p

I've also tried both techniques of tightening the ring, criss cross and circular.

The next thing to try is the WD-40 and trimming the tire of excess rubber. And making sure the ring is mated to the rim.

Joe

cdalejef
10-08-2003, 08:10 PM
My bad.....I thought that is what you meant.

JOEX
10-11-2003, 08:23 PM
I think I got them sealed up:D The biggest problem was I didn't have them tight enough:rolleyes: The WD-40 definatly helped too.

One has been holding 12psi for two days now (just for testing purposes) the other went from 12psi to 7psi in 24 hours. I don't think there will be a problem at actual riding psi.

I also had to reposition the ring on the one that lost a few pounds to get it where it is at now.

Thanks for all the help:)

Joe

Pappy
10-11-2003, 08:30 PM
remeber the good ol days when tires just sealed on plain ol rims:eek2:

JOEX
10-11-2003, 08:45 PM
LOL! I was starting to have second thoughts about that purchase:eek:

Joe