PDA

View Full Version : which gaskets on my R?

mikealexander88
10-07-2003, 05:53 PM
well my R blew a head gasket and i will have to replace it, my cylinder is VERY smooth, as smooth as it was when i first got it bored, i think i will get rings also as long as i am tearing it down this way i won't have to do another winter rebuild. what head/base gaskets should i get? i have a 21cc coolhead dome in and i would not like to have to run race gas but i would consider adding a little octane booster to it w/ every tank of gas. which gaskets should i get? i am thinking about the 89cr head gasket with the stock trx base gasket, what do you think? let me know asap! i want to go riding again! thanks alot guys- mike

airheadedduner
10-08-2003, 10:37 AM
You may have to run race gas with that setup. I think you are okay with premium up to 180lbs of cranking compression. But, I think the stock R head is a little larger then 21cc, and with the cr gasket I was getting nearly 180lbs. If the cylinder is smooth that is bad, it should have some cross hatch marks from the hone job I hope it got after being bored.

mikealexander88
10-08-2003, 07:25 PM
when i got it bored(about 50 hours ago) it had those cross marks, but now they are pritty much gone, but it has no scratches or anything on the walls so i am just getting new rings so i won't have to do it later on this winter. i am going w/ the stock setup becuase they seemed to work well, i might not gain any power but o well. l8r- mike

airheadedduner
10-08-2003, 10:55 PM
If you put in rings make sure to have it lightly honed again, otherwise you did no good. The rings need the cross hatching to properly seat during break in.