PDA

View Full Version : Zero Balls Top End? Help

vroom
10-07-2003, 02:11 PM
hey guys i was racing my friends banshee with prolite pistons and a boost bottle and a proflow arifilter, were both pretty good riders but i had him off the start and from 1 - 3 i was ahead by one length... then he caught up and I thought i'd destroy him top end cause i had my 22'' mudsharks and from what i hear 400ex's are SUPPOSED to have a huge top end. Ans he was ahead for the rest of the ride by like 1 or 2 lengths.. anyways it felt like it wanted to go faster but it just wasn't going anywhere, the engine kept sounding like it was roarin' to go faster.. but it just didn't go anywhere. I deff think it isn't internal engine prob's cause it didnt sound like it wanterd to blow or anything... it has ALOT of low end balls, even with the mudsharks.. the front sproket says 15T .. is that meant for bottom end? Please help me out if you know what could be wrong

H_W
10-07-2003, 03:34 PM
A stock banshee will run about 74 to 76 mph on top end, and a stock 400ex will run about 65 on top end. With the bigger tires you may be hitting 70 or close to it but not much more. And a 15 tooth front sprocket is stock on a 400ex. If you put a 16 tooth sprocket on it you will gain 4 or 5 mph on top end but lose some bottom end.

cals400ex
10-07-2003, 05:01 PM
you won't have a prayer with a modded banshee up top unless your engine is built. 400ex's are known for nice throttle response and torque. they are NOT known for their speed up top. by the way, what jetting you running?

10-07-2003, 05:25 PM
yep i agree 100%...4 strokes r torque monsters but arent built for the top end speed like the 2 strokes...my bike can take out a few fairly modded shees down at the dunes...but anything over mildly modded will smoke me...but yet...on an XC track i will tear a shee to peaces because it cant turn worth **** and isn't always in its powerband...on an MX track me and a shee r about even...unless its a wide open track...then of course there goes the shee...2 strokes=speed demons 4 strokes=torque monsters...enough said :D ;)