PDA

View Full Version : parents or kids help

400exmom
10-07-2003, 11:08 AM
ive tried it all any tips for a frustrated mom?? my 9 year old is in 4th grade he has a 5th grade reading level but lacks motivation to do his work- ive tried it all yelling grounding meds no dirtbike and no fun allowed- help guys what will motivate a youngin to get school work done?? he's goin to get held back this year if he doesnt shape up- ive told him that and it doesnt motivate him it jsut scares him and makes him cry... wtf do i do- throw me some ideas will ya

knighttime
10-07-2003, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by 400exmom
ive tried it all any tips for a frustrated mom?? my 9 year old is in 4th grade he has a 5th grade reading level but lacks motivation to do his work- ive tried it all yelling grounding meds no dirtbike and no fun allowed- help guys what will motivate a youngin to get school work done?? he's goin to get held back this year if he doesnt shape up- ive told him that and it doesnt motivate him it jsut scares him and makes him cry... wtf do i do- throw me some ideas will ya

dont take this the wrong way, but maybe he needs a tutor or somethin to help out. Even though his reading level is one grade higher, that may not be so good compared to some other students. Maybe let someone else check him out who isnt emotionally attached.

Hoggr9
10-07-2003, 12:08 PM
If you find something that works, let me know. Our son is in 5th this year and it has been hell already. Trouble on the bus, only bringing home the A papers and then mid terms came home and he had 2 Fs and a D. He got his grades again a couple of days ago and his teachers said he is doing better. We know exacltly where you are coming from. I know he had to pay for his chest protector we bought him and we gave him one more chance or we were going to sell his atv. All I can say is hang in there and I am glad someone else knows what we are going through.

ILGNCC400EX
10-07-2003, 12:11 PM
he may b a little young fo this we keep takeing morgan by all the nice homes an the nice cars an say he or she went to school an now they are makeing alot of money so if you want to live like that you have to do good in school but dam it takes 2 hr every night to do homework

Ohio R
10-07-2003, 12:21 PM
I think all parents go through this. Case in point. My 15 year old( she was about 7-9 when this happened). Doing terrible in school. We were doing flash cards and she wasnt getting any of them right. I did a little test. I told her I would give her a dollar for every one she gets right.Well needless to say she DIDNT MISS ANY.. Talking about going through the roof. We tried the grounding thing, no phone, no friends, no tv.. Now I may get bashed for this but it works for my family. I am still not really comfortable with it. BUT.... We now offer incentives in a positive aspect. I no its kinda defeating the point , but she does great in school, she likes going more and all the stress in gone. We do the same with my 6 year old and soon with my 2 year old when she is ready for school. The grounding and negative's if she didnt do well just wasnt working. I just couldnt sit back and do nothing while she was failing.. Think about,, at work do you do better for your boss if you are always being yelled at or there is some positive incentive? I know that some of you will say that the positive incentive is you have your job to keep if you do your work. But it really doenst work that way. The positives could be anything from a movie or haveing their friends sleep over.. Every family is different, and I feel you have to do what ever necessary to help you children succeed. Now I am not saying give them everything they still have to work for it. but just make it more enjoyable. Sorry for the length..

DESDAK4
10-07-2003, 12:25 PM
That is the same kind of thing we do, we show them the what can happen if you do good in school and what happens when you slack. It really seems to work for the most part. We did have a problem a while ago where my oldest was doing very bad in school and after a very long time we found out she could not hear do to ear infections and tubes causing problems after that got fixed it was like night and day.

Jay
USAF
AMMO

ILGNCC400EX
10-07-2003, 12:41 PM
well u could let hem talk to monkey boy an say see what happens when u dont do good in school.hope u get it worked out

dirtmomma
10-07-2003, 01:19 PM
NO Kim you are not alone on this matter!! I think all kids that age go thru this, my son who is now 13 did the same thing when he hit 5th grade, he was reading at a 2nd grade level though:eek2: we tried everything too, no riding, NO racing(which I hated that cuz we do it as a family),no tv,ect ect ect. He can sit down & read a quad magazine just fine though.
Finally this year he is going into a class called ARK(at risk kids) it's too get the kids that they know have the potential back on track. He doesn't get to go roam the halls between classes or see his friends!! It sounds mean but I wish they would of had that when I was in school. They are in ONE classroom all day & do all the same work & if they do all thier scheduled work Mon-Thurs then they get Fri. off. We'll have to see how it works out, he HASN'T EVEN STARTED SCHOOL YET!!!! Them Damn teachers are on strike & have been since Sept.3!!!!!!!!!:grr: It's the longest strike in WA state history as of today. As for what to do I guess I really don't know cuz I was at my wits end too, but thankfully the school stepped in to help.

10-07-2003, 01:21 PM
My dad pretty much put the fear of God in me....:macho

Worked pretty good too...:o

Doibugu2
10-07-2003, 01:31 PM
that worked on me, with my dad. But my tried it with my younger brother and it didn't work.

Sometimes just getting help from someone other than you can help. The thrid party thing. I would try and help my little brother and we would just end up arguing. Someone else would show him the same thing, and he listened and learned.

Just keep trying and don't give up.

JTRtrx250r
10-07-2003, 01:31 PM
when mine were younger ..we just told them what they were NOT going to get ...or go,Now that they're almost 16...its straight home after school and no computer ,no friends over,and no XBox(the video games aren't such a threat anymore haha)but the big 1 ...which is most effective towards the end of school is Summer School,that gets mine every time..while their friends are enjoying summer..they wont be,and until then we tell them that we'll just sit in the class w/ them to make sure the behave and do their work,just the thought of the embarrassment gets them into shape:D :devil: good luck ;)

400exmom
10-07-2003, 01:59 PM
seth is a smart kid but he has to REALLY like it to get it done, science stuff, bugs anything that is lil boy stuff- dad is a worthless terd and wont back me up- i sit with him at homework time and that has been my best result.. but i try to explain to him mom isnt takin care of chit when he's 21 and gets the boot.. thanks again and keep the tips comin;)

Dune Surfer
10-07-2003, 02:07 PM
I think you are on the right track. We take away fun when they don't do thier work and reward them when they do. We have three, some are harder than others. I would have her read and do homework right next to me. No tv, friends, music, riding, playstation, ect. Tell him he needs to earn those things.
good luck
tony

blondie69
10-07-2003, 02:14 PM
I dunno...with me I usually did my homework when I was in elementry school....then around grade 9/10 I started slacking off...and I almost failed a few courses...so my mom wasn't too happy bout almost every test she found (hell no I wasn't gonna show her them) they were about...12%...20% (at the highest) and mom was like "no more" so the next dance I was goin to mom said if I didn't get 75% on it, I couldn't go, and my best friend couldn't come up and spend the night that night (she always does dance nights) and I actually studied for that test...and I pulled off an 85% or 92% (I can't remember). But really since then...I tried a bit harder then I did last yr...
but I don't know what u can really do for a 4th grader..thats a bit different scenario

10-07-2003, 02:16 PM
Maybe some switches and a trip behind the garage would straighten junior out....:macho

ILGNCC400EX
10-07-2003, 03:20 PM
er well er rico they put u in jail 4 that now

400exmom
10-07-2003, 03:55 PM
HA them boys have ta put there hands on my kitchen counter and however long i gotta count till the hands get there is the swats mom pass's out...so throw me in jail in need a freakin break from the hectic life of single motherhood

Glow Plug
10-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Really I have had that sorta troble with school i'm usally sitting at like a high 70 average which is pretty ok IMO my only down fall is with english I just suck at it I can spell worth chit (look at some of my posts if you don't belive me :rolleyes: )

i don't know what the ponit of this post was lol

why don't you tryyyy hummmmm

if he don't shape up why not "sell" his bike or whatever he rides to a friend and see by his next report card if he doesn't shape you keep it at the friends place until he does :confused:

JTRtrx250r
10-07-2003, 04:15 PM
the problem is ..these kids hear the parent can go to the clink ..so they really push their luck,like I told mine...if so..I'll evetually get out:devil: then make it worth the time :devil: haha,and like that big black lady said...they gotta beet me to the phone LOL:D

trx400
10-07-2003, 04:32 PM
i'm 17 the last thing i wanna hear about is getting my quad takin away or my car because i'm doin bad in school. I think my parents finaly relized that taking them away only makes things worse. i will admit i am very lazy when it comes to school but i am now relizing that if i want to get into the college that i want to get into if I dont get my grades up I wont be able to get into that school. i feel that over time us kids figure out that school is important and we shouldnt blow it if. for the mean time, when your kids get an A on their report card maybe u can give them 5 or 10 dollars for every A and alittle less for every B and nothing for C's,D's,F's. I know that that always gave me something to work for.

Toadz400
10-07-2003, 04:32 PM
the big problem with parents and trying to "motivate" their children with school is all the negative things they do and say, saying you are going to take something away or punish them doesn't make them motivated, it just gets them pissed off and make them want to rebel, or it sends them into a deep depression, lol, which isn't good.

give them rewards, like something they want, tell them you'll buy that one part that they've always wanted for their quad/dirtbike if they get a couple a's and b's and keep their grades up, and just keep rewarding them.

i'm 15 and my parents are always saying the negative things, and guess what? my grades are going down, and i'm an A student. i've lost all motivation to make it through school because i simply don't have any motivation to do it, maybe if my parents would tell me some positive things and give me rewards if i do well, but the problem is they know i can do well so they make it even harder for me. oh well, what retards, i work and make $$ so i don't need them.

batgeek
10-07-2003, 04:38 PM
400exmom,

i know exactly what is wrong with your 9yo.

he is not being challenged. his reading level is higher than his actual grade, that shows that he his more intelligent than the average kid his grade.

seems like he's bored.

i would have to talk with your child to try and figure out a little more.

haha! and my Dad said my Psych degree would never amount to anything! :D

Braff1
10-07-2003, 04:42 PM
mom, my son is going through the same thing. Test wise he is making b's in his classes, but because he hasn't turned in his homework and projects he is making d' and f's. This is his senior year and has a scholorship pending he graduates that he is going to through down the pipes.

Toadz400
10-07-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by batgeek
400exmom,

i know exactly what is wrong with your 9yo.

he is not being challenged. his reading level is higher than his actual grade, that shows that he his more intelligent than the average kid his grade.

seems like he's bored.

i would have to talk with your child to try and figure out a little more.

haha! and my Dad said my Psych degree would never amount to anything! :D

that's my problem too, i don't feel challenged anymore, everything is too easy and there is just no rewards so i don't really bother doing much.

haha, batgeek i also want to get a psych degree! i have to wait until next year to take the psychology class though:(

jello
10-07-2003, 04:47 PM
i always knew when my mom was saying the negative stuff that she wouldnt do it...

she gave me 5 bucks an a 3 bucks a b and I had to pay her 10 bucks for c's d's and f's

optikid123
10-07-2003, 04:53 PM
i have a problem like that, i can do well is school i just do not choose to. its kinda like what others said about being bored but its also that i cant stand tryin to do things after school that are related to it, i have motivation during the beginning of school but go downhill cause it just gets boring being there and i just wana get out and go home. then i dont wana study cause i just dont see the point and even if i do i dont care or cant care enough to do it. idk if school was about quads all day im sure i would study:)

Dune Surfer
10-07-2003, 04:54 PM
Toads400, you don't need your parents? They raise you, feed you, and work thier lives away for you, and that is the thanks they get? nice. Maybe you should grow up and stop expecting things for the work you should do anyway. Move out of thier house, suport yourself and sacrifice like they do. Then you might have a clue. Sounds to me like you need a swift kick in the butt.
What you need to know is your parents only want you to have a good life. If you get good grades it will help. Treat them with respect, they love you and believe it or not are a lot smarter then you. See they have been around longer and have learned a thing or two.

Somehow in our culture it has become wrong to punish your children. Now many kids are lazy disrespectfull whiners.

Simple, you don't like thier rules, move out and do it your way.

JTRtrx250r
10-07-2003, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by jello

she gave me 5 bucks an a 3 bucks a b and I had to pay her 10 bucks for c's d's and f's thats actually not a bad idea

I used to see it different as a kid myself..,parents just want the best for their kids and its not always easy for the kids to see that,

sometimes its just as hard on the parents to be parents,I have to be firm on what I say and not give in...giving in is 1 of my problems,to reward a kid is good..but not to the point where they expect it,

Punk'd
10-07-2003, 05:11 PM
make the work fun for him somehow and give him candy all kids like candy gook luck man

4wheelboy
10-07-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Rico

worked for me. also when i failed 2nd grade my parents were pissed! and i didnt want to see them ever like that again. But since i failed all my friends are in higher grades and all so it sucks and im never going to let that happen again!:o :macho

killed300ex
10-07-2003, 05:50 PM
i have the same problem in high school. My parents tryied yalling at me grounding me ect. they learned being negative and yalling only makes me not want to do the work even more. You can use negative vibes to solve this problem you have to use positive and try to bribe him into doing good. Ex i was always a c-d student occasianal f here and there and then pappy made the challenge and now im geting straight b+ on the verge of a's you jsut have to make him have a reason to do good if he dont have a reason to do good then why try to do good. Thats my opinion. maybe that will help
killed

400exmom
10-07-2003, 05:54 PM
i agree 100 % about the negitive comments i can see it SHREAD his self esteem and the impatient teachers and cruel kids at school do a good enough job killin kids spirit i dont want him to get it at home too although its difficult not to sometimes..its great to get both the parents and the students (kids) opinions thanks guys i really feel like ive tried everything ... i like the idea of him payin me for d's and f's- i gladly pay oout for a's and b's..

brokeitin3
10-08-2003, 05:39 AM
...so throw me in jail in need a freakin break from the hectic life of single motherhood where im from thats a proposal for marriage? and im available on the weekends;) ;)

bradley300
10-08-2003, 08:17 AM

"now boy you listen to me! no math homework, no beer at dinner!"

hmmm.... sounds about right

bradley300
10-08-2003, 08:18 AM
try not to stress the doing good part as much as the trying hard part, it'll help take some pressure away. doing good usually goes hand in hand with trying hard.

QuadJunkies
10-08-2003, 08:34 AM
seth is a smart kid but he has to REALLY like it to get it done, science stuff, bugs anything that is lil boy stuff- dad is a worthless terd and wont back me up- i sit with him at homework time and that has been my best result.. but i try to explain to him mom isnt takin care of chit when he's 21 and gets the boot.. thanks again and keep the tips comin;) your kid isthe same age as mine, and going through same thing here...I am trying to work with my girl on her having smoething to shoot for at the end of the year.I guess you can call it a reward, some dont approve of this, I think it all depends on HOW you reward and depends on the childs situation. I also requested a teacher that is a bit more stern, I noticed that last year my kids pull crap in calls alot more because the teacher was WAY too laid back and the kids tok advantage of that. Kim, Ill pm you on a question I would like to ask you also that might be an issue for your wee one, if you find the answer let me know as well.....;)

wilkin250r
10-08-2003, 11:43 AM
How are his test grades?

400exmom
10-08-2003, 11:50 AM
mostly D's & F's accept for science those are always a's and b's

Tommy 17
10-08-2003, 01:50 PM
kim ur son maybe like me... it sounds exactly like me...

when i was in middle school the teachers told my mom... i am the type of kid that said why get a A when a B is good enouf...

i would ace my 1st test... relize i could totaly blow off the 2nd with a C and still end up with a B average (good enouf for me) i still do it to this day...

also ur son mayb like me in another way bc he reminds me so much of me as a kid... when i learn i don't learn by reading... i read something i find no intrest in it... totaly start thinkin about other things and forget 99% of it... now if u talk to me and show me the same exact thing... and i hear it and see it being done... i'll remember 100%... he mayb learning by listening and reading is not goin to work for him... what i use to do was READ the info into a tape player... i would remember bits and pieces of it... but then i would play it back and re read over it again silently in my mind as i listened and i would do perfectly fine and rememeber it all... i know it was double the work/time but it worked for me and got me interested...

i serioulsy don't think i've EVER read a book just to read it... i've never read a whole story in my life... and i never plan on it... i get bored and forget it...

Narly R
10-08-2003, 02:09 PM
Ya it is VERY easy to be lazy in school, because most kids dont be pushed to exel, or atleast get decent grades. My bike will be riddin when my grades are good. If I tell my mom im havin trouble she will understand, and sometimes i get to school early, or at lunch or after school and do some extra work, I usually have c's and b's. Do the quad thing, dont sell it, but say you are and if he dont bring up the grades he will loose it, and at first he wont care, but once its gone he will shape up. But just hide it at a friends house. Then get it if or when his grades get better. In miuddle and high school you can get alternative study clases. Im not shure if they offer that in grade school, but I know they have special cleses, like my sister had trouble speaking, and after about a half a year she was fine, talk to the teacher's too!;)

wilkin250r
10-08-2003, 02:56 PM
hmm, that's a tough situation. You said he reads well, but his test scores are still low, unless it's science...

Be honest, is he a bright kid who's just bored, or is he actually struggling?

If his test scores are low, it sounds like he's actually struggling. If he was really smart, he would be able to ace the tests, regardless of what his homework scores were. Look into tutoring. It's expensive, but may be the ticket...

Jackie
10-08-2003, 03:27 PM
i think they clone boys

money works for me
my son will always take a challenge for cash, if that doesnt work try military school.
Good Luck:rolleyes:

xXx*PREDATOR*xXx
10-08-2003, 07:05 PM
I am 15 turning 16 in June...I still really remember being that age...Tell me some of the kids interests and stuff like that...I will
get you some motivation...

JD400exrider
10-09-2003, 12:40 AM
Mom

There have been several good points made here.

Your child may be struggling or just bored. I would have a teacher conference and find out whether your son is goofing off in class, sleeping, talking, or just plain don't care. If he is paying attention in class and trying he may just need tuturing.
If the homework is not done. He stays in classromm at recess to complete it.
With e mail now you should be able to know what home work is due every week and check the work every night to make sure it is done and correct. It sounds extreme. But hey there only kids once and you do what is takes to get him on track. Most teachers will work with you to get him back on track if the parents are involved and care.

Some parents do not believe in rewards, although if it works do it. Little incentives for good test grade. Homework complete for the week. My girls did not want to read when they were in the 3-4th grade. Dollar a book solved that. They both are reading all the time now without any money. The dollar incentive was used to motivate them.

My girls both have horses. I have tried the negative approach your not riding or I will sell them if your grades are not a B average. I have found that it really just does not work. More arguing than anything. You cannot make them get good grades. . They have to want to do it on there own.
My kids just started 7th & 9th grade and they are motivated and working hard.

Hang in there mom it will get better. I think as parents we all go through this at one time or another. I would go have a talk with the teacher and find out what his or her thoughts are. Let your son know you are tracking his daily homework.
Unplug the TV and any video games monday though thursday. You will be surprised how that helps.

Sorry for all the jabber. Just some food for thought I hope

Good Luck
John

400exmom
10-09-2003, 07:35 AM
seth teacher recommended ridiline HA!! i tried it last year no results well not enough to keep my kid on a narcotic!! he is a daydreamer he can do the work just want to think about bugs rocks and playin in the dirt instead- i took away the dirtbike this morning and tv and all video games.. im still tryin differant things ... glad to see im not alone.. youll NEVER believe what happend with the 11 year old yesterday:mad: :mad: he called me from home after school and said a bully told him to meet him behind the gas station for a fight:mad: :mad: the boy called and said what do i do mom hes takin cheap shots at guy in recess football games for 3 weeks guy has takin his BS that long and not said anything... i wanted to tell him to go kick his azzz!!!! but i told him stay home and i went to the parents house and the school- school didnt take the time to call me back on it:mad: :mad: ... i thought this chit wasnt suppose to be difficult till teenage years???? guy is a 2 year state champ for wrestling he could take this punk out easly and i wont let him be picked on cuz he knows better than to lay a kid out...grrr

sickmojave
10-09-2003, 07:41 AM
just a note on something I heard on our local news. did you know that if your child has been prescribed ridiline. they will not be allowed in the military.

400exmom
10-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Originally posted by sickmojave
just a note on something I heard on our local news. did you know that if your child has been prescribed ridiline. they will not be allowed in the military. didnt know that..cant say im disappointed god bless america but i dont want my boys goin to war over BS

QuadJunkies
10-09-2003, 07:52 AM
just a note on something I heard on our local news. did you know that if your child has been prescribed ridiline. they will not be allowed in the military. no, I didnt know that.. thats interesting. I have a freind who just enrolled two weeks ago and he was on it until recently...So are your sayinf if they are "currenlty takin" Ritlin or if you have "EVER" taken Ritlin.......

sickmojave
10-09-2003, 08:06 AM
I thought they said " ever ". I'm going to call them today and see where they got the info from. it seems like once they are off the ridlin then they should be allowed.:confused:

SGA
10-09-2003, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I think you are on the right track. We take away fun when they don't do thier work and reward them when they do. We have three, some are harder than others. I would have her read and do homework right next to me. No tv, friends, music, riding, playstation, ect. Tell him he needs to earn those things.
good luck
tony
I agree with Tony and do the same here at home. I have learned yelling does no good.
I also back up what I say such as " If you dont do your afterschool chores, no computer that night".
Well, he tried that a couple of times. " Gee dad, I forgot".
I said " Well, maybe you can remember better with the computer off" and pull the plug. He fussed, I remained calm.
After doing this twice, he no longer forgets to do his afternoon chores. Its been 5 months or so and hes still doing his chores. He knows I WILL pull the plug, no yelling, no explaining, no ifs ands or buts. Same with grades, bring home bad ones, the computers off.
I also reward him for doing extra good on something. Stay up later, movie money, etc.
How many times have I heard parents talking to their kids. "If you do that again, your grounded". And the kid does it again, and their not grounded. I ask the parent, I thought you said he would be grounded if he did that again? They fumble and say " oh I didnt really mean that" I tell them they are sending mixed signals to thier kid, and they need to do what they say. Some parents hate that, some say thank you, your right.

Bottom line, kids need and want guidence. You are the parent, they are the kids. Be a parent.
Its hard being a parent sometimes, but thats your job, buck up and do it.

QuadJunkies
10-09-2003, 08:15 AM
I thought they said " ever ". I'm going to call them today and see where they got the info from. it seems like once they are off the ridlin then they should be allowed.:confused: yeah thats weird.....I wonder how my friend Luke got in then too........:confused:

10-09-2003, 08:17 AM
Ridline

Might as well give your child, pot, valum, cocaine, zanax, etc, etc, etc.

QuadJunkies
10-09-2003, 08:36 AM
Ridline

Might as well give your child, pot, valum, cocaine, zanax, etc, etc, etc. agreed......:grr: its not a solution to the problem.......

10-09-2003, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
agreed......:grr: its not a solution to the problem.......

I just hate to see kids brought up to stay away from drugs but when they have a problem whats the first thing someone suggests... DRUGS

Say no to pot, but heres a bottle full of pills that will make ya dopped up and feel better about yourself...:huh WTF

What kills me is when babies are popped into this world of ours...15 minutes later their gettin pumped full of drugs for possible illness's they might get 40 years down the road...:huh But then we put a sticker on their lunch box that says "say no to drugs":huh

Anymore I don't even see a doctor as a Physician,,,he's a friggen chemist. Do you ever leave the Dr without a prescription???

XANDADA
10-09-2003, 09:17 AM
I can personally recommend NOT using ritillan from experience. I would not use it on anyone except extreme cases & I emphasize extreme. That and similar stuff should be banned.:mad: It only masks the symptoms but does absolutely nothing about the problem.

MOFO
10-09-2003, 09:18 AM
I just hate to see kids brought up to stay away from drugs but when they have a problem whats the first thing someone suggests... DRUGS

Say no to pot, but heres a bottle full of pills that will make ya dopped up and feel better about yourself...:huh WTF

What kills me is when babies are popped into this world of ours...15 minutes later their gettin pumped full of drugs for possible illness's they might get 40 years down the road...:huh But then we put a sticker on their lunch box that says "say no to drugs":huh

Anymore I don't even see a doctor as a Physician,,,he's a friggen chemist. Do you ever leave the Dr without a prescription???

so true Rico, so true. Nothing pisses me off more than when LAZY parents have their kids put on drugs to control their attitude and crap like that. They say "My kid has too much engery"....well take that little SOB, throw him outside and make him do PHYSICAL activities...that will wear that SOB out. PS2/computers and parents that dont give a chit are changing our youth... making them lazy fat slobs that need prescription drugs to feel good and get through the day.

....argh...I could go on and on with this.... :mad: :mad:

MOFO
10-09-2003, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by XANDADA
It only masks the symptoms but does absolutely nothing about the problem.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

JD400exrider
10-09-2003, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I agree with Tony and do the same here at home. I have learned yelling does no good.
I also back up what I say such as " If you dont do your afterschool chores, no computer that night".
Well, he tried that a couple of times. " Gee dad, I forgot".
I said " Well, maybe you can remember better with the computer off" and pull the plug. He fussed, I remained calm.
After doing this twice, he no longer forgets to do his afternoon chores. Its been 5 months or so and hes still doing his chores. He knows I WILL pull the plug, no yelling, no explaining, no ifs ands or buts. Same with grades, bring home bad ones, the computers off.
I also reward him for doing extra good on something. Stay up later, movie money, etc.
How many times have I heard parents talking to their kids. "If you do that again, your grounded". And the kid does it again, and their not grounded. I ask the parent, I thought you said he would be grounded if he did that again? They fumble and say " oh I didnt really mean that" I tell them they are sending mixed signals to thier kid, and they need to do what they say. Some parents hate that, some say thank you, your right.

Bottom line, kids need and want guidence. You are the parent, they are the kids. Be a parent.
Its hard being a parent sometimes, but thats your job, buck up and do it.

Could not have said it any better.

As for Ridiline Stay away from it. Allot of teachers or doctors suggest as a potential fix. It is not a fix. It's BS I would not give that to my dog let alone my kid.

JTRtrx250r
10-09-2003, 12:42 PM

Anymore I don't even see a doctor as a Physician,,,he's a friggen chemist. Do you ever leave the Dr without a prescription??? Very true!!Those drugs have more side-effects and by far more man made chemicals then hooch even w/ all the chemicals they use to grow the chit.95% of the junk mail I get is for man made drugs and just about every other commercial on tv is trying to sell you drugs or get you to think thats what you need:huh Unless they're green and natural...keep em away from me,and I am not condoning kids to smoke weed...its just how I feel about it

SGA
10-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by XANDADA
It only masks the symptoms but does absolutely nothing about the problem.

I have read that many western doctors tend to prescribe drugs, rather than get to the underlying cause of a problem.

Probably the drug companys fault here. There's billions to be made for them. They push thier drugs on the doctors with all kinds of freebies, kickbacks and bonuses, just to get new paitents dependent thier products.

86350x
10-09-2003, 09:31 PM
Just going back to how it was when I was in school

Most d's and f's are caused from not turning in assignments and homeworks ect. You can still usually still get a c even if you don't do well on tests ect. You are doing the right things as I can see. Everynight sit there and work with him on his assignments, homework ect. Get ahold of his teachers every so often ect. Ask him what he's having difficulties with. No xr riding while the grades are down will help as well.

Being a single mom, you might not have time to do all of this right away. But a friend of yours ect might be able to help you out with all the above. Having someone he looks up to telling him to get his act together will also help alot.