PDA

View Full Version : 450R hp

yamblaster200
10-07-2003, 09:56 AM
Everyone keeps on talking about how the yammi will put out more hp than the honda, but nothing shows that. Just cuz the yzf bike puts out more hp than the crf doesn't mean it will be the same with the quads. The yfz is like 35 stock...and the crf bike is something like 45 stock (guess), so if honda doesn't lose as much going from the bike to the quad as yamaha it is completely within the rhealm of possibility that it may put out more ponies. The other thing is that hp doesn't mean anything when it comes to the real world. Look at the banshee....the most powerful atv for about a decade....and who races them in mx, or xc, or even flat track for that matter. From the pics I've seen in another post the honda looks like it will handle better than the yamaha, and thats what really counts. And as i said in another post...i was holding off on giving an opinion til the honda came out...but i can't continue hearing everyone bad mouthing honda, saying they're dissappointed and that the yamaha will stomp it. When was the last time yamaha made an atv that could beat a honda?

ATC83
10-07-2003, 10:22 AM
I don't think people are bad mouthing Honda they are just making statements based on the specs that have been released so far. According to Hondas specs it looks like the TRX450 is going to be more de-tuned than the yamaha. According to Honda, and I realize these specs could change, the TRX has a lower compression piston, a milder cam, steel valves and it does not come with the FCR carb with throttle position sensor like the Yamaha. Without these additional performance options the Honda probable will not be as fast as the Yamaha from the factory. Who CARES! Honda is going to sell an HRC power up kit that will probably replace all of these items which will make it competative with the YZF. On an equal playing field neither of these bikes is going to be faster than the other. It's all about the rider. Is it really possible to tell if a bike can handle better from a picture. That's the most ridiculouse thing i've ever read. As for the horse power numbers for the motocross bikes, the Honda makes about one horsepower more but does not make as potent of an exceleration hit and has less over rev then the yamaha. High horse power numbers don't always equate to speed on the motocross track.

44oEX
10-07-2003, 10:39 AM
In DW is says the new R does have titanium valves. But it could be a tipo

ATC83
10-07-2003, 01:15 PM
I saw that too in the DW article, but if you look close there is an asteric after that spec and it says that it is from the CRF450 motorcycle spec.

rtyfz450
10-07-2003, 08:48 PM
I agree with atc83, it about the rider when it comes to racing specially when there is going to be factory support. for the average rider we will see when the trx comes out. I like the idea of the hcr kit and I am just glad that honda has made an effort. I think that IN MY OPINION that the yfz will be straight line faster stock but mods will be made to both quads by most riders immediatly. I think the yfz handles great and it will be tough to beat but nothing is certain. Overall I think that for what you get with both bikes is a trade off.
yfz= crank is destroked,crappy stock exhaust, cam retard, 2.6 gal tank(good for mx no good for desert) and junky skids chain adjuster not as good as honda and nothing will ever be.
TRX= no fcr carb, no gull wing a-arm, not ti valves, no E-starter stock. 3.0 tank not good for mx, crappy tires

both of these lists can be corrected very fast with aftermarket parts. I think some people, like me are dissapointed in the r with no e-start but others couldn't be happier so its up to you to make the choice but atleast you won't have to tear into the stock motor replace multiple cams, valves, rebore, stroke, new cdi box, new air box, new suspension even if you are trail riding, gusset frame and all the other stuff that we did to our ltz's, 400ex and any other 4 stroke that came before:devil:

norrisboat
10-07-2003, 09:06 PM
the new bike puts out 185hp

TGW_400ex
10-08-2003, 04:48 AM
Yamaha owner stickin up for the 450r? It's a godsend:p

Juggalo
10-08-2003, 09:44 PM
the yfz makes low 40's horsepower stock, not 35

Woody_YFZ
10-08-2003, 10:46 PM
Originally posted by rtyfz450
I agree with atc83, it about the rider when it comes to racing specially when there is going to be factory support. for the average rider we will see when the trx comes out. I like the idea of the hcr kit and I am just glad that honda has made an effort. I think that IN MY OPINION that the yfz will be straight line faster stock but mods will be made to both quads by most riders immediatly. I think the yfz handles great and it will be tough to beat but nothing is certain. Overall I think that for what you get with both bikes is a trade off.
yfz= crank is destroked,crappy stock exhaust, cam retard, 2.6 gal tank(good for mx no good for desert) and junky skids chain adjuster not as good as honda and nothing will ever be.
TRX= no fcr carb, no gull wing a-arm, not ti valves, no E-starter stock. 3.0 tank not good for mx, crappy tires

both of these lists can be corrected very fast with aftermarket parts. I think some people, like me are dissapointed in the r with no e-start but others couldn't be happier so its up to you to make the choice but atleast you won't have to tear into the stock motor replace multiple cams, valves, rebore, stroke, new cdi box, new air box, new suspension even if you are trail riding, gusset frame and all the other stuff that we did to our ltz's, 400ex and any other 4 stroke that came before:devil:

I think you nailed it on the head.

44oEX
10-09-2003, 05:36 AM
the yfz makes low 40's horsepower stock, not 35

In dirt wheels it said that with a pipe it only had 36HP and a pipe addes HP and I think the DW staff can probably re-jet pretty good.

Woody_YFZ
10-10-2003, 06:29 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
In dirt wheels it said that with a pipe it only had 36HP and a pipe addes HP and I think the DW staff can probably re-jet pretty good.

ATV action said it was 36 hp stock when comparing against the Predator. Nice thing is, it doesn't take much to add another 8 - 10 horses. It cost me $6 to get mine like that and it would have been less, had I bought the jet at the place I usually go.

crazycraz
10-10-2003, 08:10 PM
Originally posted by norrisboat
the new bike puts out 185hp Man you sure know how to make people laugh. Ha Ha Ha. :D