PDA

View Full Version : A-Arm doesn't line up

JOEX
10-06-2003, 06:32 PM
I finally got shocks on the way (thanks to pappy) so I started installing the new Burgard +1 a-arms. I got three of them on with not much trouble oher than being a bit tight.

When I got to the third one, upper right, the gap between the mounts on the arms is about 3/16ths of an inch wider than the the mounts on the frame. I got them in with a little encouragment but i'm not sure if it is such a good thing to have them in like this.

Is this somewhat normal or should I call Burgard for a replacement?

Joe

Pappy
10-06-2003, 06:32 PM
make sure you have the them on the right sides

JOEX
10-06-2003, 06:38 PM
They are on the right sides and I don't think that would even make a difference in this case.

I lined it up with the other side and the stock arms, this one has a wider gap.

Also, the threads on one of the tie rods are messed up. I don't think they were cut right:(

Joe

skemp
10-06-2003, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't accept that. Send them back. Sorry to hear about the problem. :( Hopefully they will stand behind their product.

Pappy
10-06-2003, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by skemp
I wouldn't accept that. Send them back. Sorry to hear about the problem. :( Hopefully they will stand behind their product.

send it back and they will take care of you...if not call me:macho :blah:

JOEX
10-06-2003, 06:44 PM
I guess i'll be on the horn in the morning. What time does Burgard open?

Pappy, I got the email about UPS shipping for the the shocks, I like that set up:)
Did you ship the scoops also?

Joe

10-06-2003, 06:47 PM
didnt you hit something with your quad? if u did id find a buddies and see if they go on, you may have tweaked your frame

Pappy
10-06-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I guess i'll be on the horn in the morning. What time does Burgard open?

Pappy, I got the email about UPS shipping for the the shocks, I like that set up:)
Did you ship the scoops also?

Joe

yep the scoops are on thier way ...shocks didnt get picked up by ups tonight so they will grab them in the morning

JOEX
10-06-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
didnt you hit something with your quad? if u did id find a buddies and see if they go on, you may have tweaked your frame
Yeah, a tree jumped out in front of me:p I thought of that, it was even on the same side:eek: So I measured it against the other Burgard arm and there is a difference.:(

Joe

Pappy
10-06-2003, 07:00 PM
maybe it was me...i might have thrown in the wrong arm to see if you was payin attention:eek: :blah:

i have faith...he will take care of ya. it still sucks but i reckon could happen to anyone:(

JOEX
10-06-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
maybe it was me...i might have thrown in the wrong arm to see if you was payin attention:eek: :blah:

i have faith...he will take care of ya. it still sucks but i reckon could happen to anyone:(
LOL! So is that how you earn your keep, packing parts for Burgard?:D

I'm sure he'll take care of it, just a bit of a hassle and a slight dissapointment.

Joe

Pappy
10-06-2003, 07:11 PM
tell him i said to throw in a few t shirts for your troubles:devil:

JOEX
10-06-2003, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
tell him i said to throw in a few t shirts for your troubles:devil:
Thanks pappy:)

Joe

Chef
10-06-2003, 07:27 PM
My tops were like a quarter inch too narrow. I just pulled em apart and shoved em in. No problems yet. They were too shiny to complain about.:cool:

JOEX
10-06-2003, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by Chef
My tops were like a quarter inch too narrow. I just pulled em apart and shoved em in. No problems yet. They were too shiny to complain about.:cool:
LOL! Those shiny parts are hard to pass up !! But i'm more concerned with longevity;) :D :cool:

Joe

JD400exrider
10-06-2003, 11:10 PM
Joe

My +1 burgards are a tight fit to get mounted also. I do remember one top was also a little more of a hassle and one of the nuts on the tie rods was a little rough going on. Not stripped or damaged though. The tight fit bushings will loosen up a little after you ride. You will like them.

Thanks Pappy

JOEX
10-07-2003, 07:48 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Joe

My +1 burgards are a tight fit to get mounted also. I do remember one top was also a little more of a hassle and one of the nuts on the tie rods was a little rough going on. Not stripped or damaged though. The tight fit bushings will loosen up a little after you ride. You will like them.

Thanks Pappy
I didn't get a chance to call yet, had kind of a rough morning.

Was the trouble you had with the tie rod by chance left hand threads? And was it the top right a-arm you had trouble with?

Thanks, Joe

JD400exrider
10-07-2003, 10:25 PM
The right upper arm would be the one. (Sitting on the bike- a arm on the right.) I did make a mistake though joe. It was not the tie rod it was the ball joint that was a little tough getting the nut on. After i got it on I took it on and off with a little oil. All was fine. Tie rods went on fine.

I will say joe. After you set up every thing make sure you crank down the large nut and the small nut on the inside of those upper arms. The small adjuster nut on the inside came loose on me last ride. I think it is a 22mm

JOEX
10-08-2003, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the heads up:)

Joe

10-08-2003, 10:21 AM
I've heard tis happening with many aftermarket suspension parts, you have to remember that there are many factors that play into why somthing may not fit, slight variances in manufacturing, how hard is somthing ridden etc. My family runs a shop that makes A-Arms Swingers etc and when I put my arms on they were tight because my 400 had many hours on it and the one they did the mock up on was factory fresh. It was the very same set so if you put all those factors into play the tolerences will change. If Burgard stands up for their products than you will be ahead of the game! Good luck.:)

JOEX
10-08-2003, 08:13 PM
I don't have a problem with them being tight because I know they will loosen up with use. But I think 3/16" off is a bit more than neccessary and the mis-threaded tie rod shouldn't have left the shop..... maybe I expect too much?:confused:

I called him this morning and sent it back today.... no questions:)

Joe