PDA

View Full Version : how does the 450 quad compared to the yz250f 4stroke

yellowrider
10-06-2003, 06:26 PM
yz250f
ARE BAD *** !!! i rode one for about an hour today!! its great i love the power respones .. you floor it in 4th gear and there goes the back tires ... :D with the front end coming up fast...

i was wondering how did the 450 quad ... compares to this since i havent rode one i was hoping sokme of you folks could tell me if the power is that good on yamaha 450
cause if so .. bye bye 400ex :D

also those 200 hondas are pretty good .. i climbed all day with my buddies... he is about to trade it for that new honda that is coming out ... 250 somthing... sorry i dont keep up with dirtbikes :confused: so i dodnt know what they are called but i know how many cc's they are....

:D

man i wish i rode that 250 when i used to ride a dirtbike.. ... i would have loved it even more then .. !!

AndrewRRR
10-07-2003, 12:52 PM
Not sure what you are asking but it sounds like "how does a YFZ450 compare to a YZ250F?"
Check out this month's Dirt Wheels. They ran a YFZ450 against a YZ450F dirt bike. The YFZ actually won on the MX track and the bike won in the woods. I couldn't believe my eyes. They did say the machines had to keep their wheels on the ground though, so the bike couldn't sail over triples and stuff like that.
Pretty impressive for a 100lb difference.

ScooterX
10-08-2003, 07:00 PM
So the bike got beat on a flat track or were they just rolling everything? I heard about the quad having faster lap times and something didn't seem right about that to me. Overall, a quad can't keep up w/ a bike on the track unless the bike riders really sucks and the quad rider is pretty good.

AndrewRRR
10-08-2003, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by ScooterX
So the bike got beat on a flat track or were they just rolling everything? I heard about the quad having faster lap times and something didn't seem right about that to me. Overall, a quad can't keep up w/ a bike on the track unless the bike riders really sucks and the quad rider is pretty good.

I kinda glanced over the article again today. It wasn't flattrack, it was a regular MX track and Barry Hawk did laps on both machines. They had them roll over the double because there was a big bump before it (the track was all tore up) that the bike could get around but pitched the quad sideways. They did show some pics with both machines in the air so I think they were jumping other parts. He was like 2 seconds faster on the YFZ. In the woods the YZ was like 3 seconds faster but he said part of the problem was he isn't used to a thumb throttle and was getting a cramped thumb.

AndrewRRR
10-08-2003, 09:25 PM
But it's pretty impressive regardless.

trueblue450
10-09-2003, 07:08 AM
on the woods trail he only was 4s econds down a lap on the yfz and he hasnt rode quads for a few years mind you!:o

Toadz400
10-09-2003, 08:34 PM
i've never ridden a yz450f before but yesterday was my first time on a yfz450 and all i can say is "wow:eek2: " i was amazed at how much power it has stock. and this thing wasn't even broken in yet. i can't wait to get my banshee back tomorrow and drag the guy and see who wins!

the yfz450 is light, great handling, and has power like a piped out banshee! i love it!!:D

ScooterX
10-10-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
But it's pretty impressive regardless.

Definitely

Ryan
10-10-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
I kinda glanced over the article again today. It wasn't flattrack, it was a regular MX track and Barry Hawk did laps on both machines. They had them roll over the double because there was a big bump before it (the track was all tore up) that the bike could get around but pitched the quad sideways. They did show some pics with both machines in the air so I think they were jumping other parts. He was like 2 seconds faster on the YFZ. In the woods the YZ was like 3 seconds faster but he said part of the problem was he isn't used to a thumb throttle and was getting a cramped thumb.

Thats very impressive! Although I think what Yellowrider is trying to say, "Which is faster in a straight line."

Im curious to know myself the different speeds in the woods comparing the professional bike riders the the professional quad riders.

Sad to say, I road a yz85 2 days ago and I thought that thing had major balls. I think they can beat a stock z-400 no problem! But im also not used to dirtbikes.

Toadz400
10-10-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Ryan
Sad to say, I road a yz85 2 days ago and I thought that thing had major balls. I think they can beat a stock z-400 no problem! But im also not used to dirtbikes.

yz80's and 85's have a lot of pep to them, but i don't know about them beating a z-400 on top end...i've ridden an 80 and it was geared up for top speed, but i've never ridden a z-400 so i don't know what the top speed is for that.

ScooterX
10-11-2003, 12:41 PM
Well, don't let the feel fool you. 2-stroke always FEEL faster. Whether or not a 85 is faster than a Z400, I really don't know. I have ridden both numerous times, but never consecutively and I am also a bit big for a 85 being 6'3". As far as a 250F compared to a Z400... the 250F is hands down faster, but they both have almost equal RWHP and the 250F is about 160 lbs lighter, so thats to be expected. I've never ridden a YFZ450... actually I haven't ridden a quad since I sold my Cannondale back in May, so I don't want to even try to guess at which would be faster just because I don't like to make false assumptions... Like they say... when you Assume, you make an @ss out of you and me :p . But I have drag raced a Z400 and I had no problem pulling away. I'm also terrible at starts on bikes (still need lots of practice) so me being a better rider is unlikely.

My Cannondale I had was pretty quick and CDaleChick has some video clips of me and her exboyfriend practicing starts at Splendora. Levi (her ex) has a KX 125 w/ some mods and my Dale was almost completely stock except for 18" holeshots and a few other little things that wouldn't effect performance. We were pretty muchly side by side the whole time w/ me beating him a couple times and him beating me a couple of times but never more than 1 bike length. I know that doesn't answer your question since it isn't a comparison of either bike you were asking about, but for the most part YZ 250F's are faster than the average modded 125 2-stroke.

raptor_02
10-14-2003, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by yellowrider the 2nd day I had my YFZ450 i was just riding down the road cruising and I saw a couple of my buddies on their dirt bikes. Which were a KX 125, YZ250F, and a old RM250. Well I went up and talked to them and they were all talking about my quad and was asking me how fast it was. I told them it run pretty good and asked the guy on the 125 if he would drag race me. So we raced a rolling start on black top in 1st gear for about 150 yds. By the end of both runs I'd have him by about a quad length. So then I asked the boy on the YZ250F if he would run me. Same distance on black top and same situation he would get me by about 2 1/2 quad lengths. Mine is a bone stock restricted YFZ so I was happy with that. I'd say if I had a pipe and a rejetted carb I could probaly take the 250f by a quad lenght or so. Just my opinion but I will find out soon enough. Oh the 250F was stock too
yz250f
ARE BAD *** !!! i rode one for about an hour today!! its great i love the power respones .. you floor it in 4th gear and there goes the back tires ... :D with the front end coming up fast...

i was wondering how did the 450 quad ... compares to this since i havent rode one i was hoping sokme of you folks could tell me if the power is that good on yamaha 450
cause if so .. bye bye 400ex :D

also those 200 hondas are pretty good .. i climbed all day with my buddies... he is about to trade it for that new honda that is coming out ... 250 somthing... sorry i dont keep up with dirtbikes :confused: so i dodnt know what they are called but i know how many cc's they are....

:D

man i wish i rode that 250 when i used to ride a dirtbike.. ... i would have loved it even more then .. !!

raptor_02
10-14-2003, 10:20 AM
f