PDA

View Full Version : 250ex owners I got a question

10-06-2003, 05:46 PM
The guy across the street just bought a used recon. there is a tube that runs off the very bottom of the carb. Like a overflow tube. His has a screw in it and if ya take the screw out it leaks gas. I'm figuring a stuck float. But the quad runs OK. Any idea's??

Also what is the stock main jet in the carb. It's runnin lean and i'd like to know what jet came in it from the factory??

Thanks

motoxak
10-06-2003, 06:05 PM
ok the tube from teh bottom is the over flow and the screw that is by it is the air fuel mixture screw, and the stock main jet is a 95. when u unscrew the jet it seems to get like an inch to two inches long but it isnt the actual jet is the top of it, does that help? lol:)

Bad Habit
10-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Actually, I'm pretty sure it's just a drain tube not an overflow. There's a screw on the left side of the carb that you can turn to drain the bowl. Maybe the screw isn't turned all the way in or it's tightened down on a chunk of dirt preventing it from closing all the way??????
Yup, 95 is stock and a slight jetting change really affects that little carb.

ReconRider25
10-06-2003, 07:01 PM
yea its a drain tube and that screw is like a valve so if you gotta drain it just unscrew it

brokeitin3
10-06-2003, 08:48 PM
if the gas is coming from the bottom of the floatbowl its a bad o-ring on the drain screw or the screw itself may be stripped from over tightening, but if its the hose midway on the left side of the carb then the problem is a stuck float needle valve. reove carb and clean it, might as well do the gas tank also. Install a 105main and you will see a big change.

EXrider03
10-06-2003, 10:01 PM
I am almost positive that it is the carb breather. Now the gas leaking out, I dont know! But, my old 250ex had the same problem but I think my jetting was messed up because I had an aftermarket exhaust and no aftermarket jets...

10-07-2003, 06:03 AM
I've checked the obvious. The float drain screw is turned all the way in. It is not the tube from teh side, the top, the corner, it is the one tube that comes off the bottom of the carb directly in the middle. The drain screw is screwed all the way in and feels snug, so i don't think it's stripped. Guess i'll just pull the sucker off and see what i can find..:cool: Guess I'll round up a 105 jet and see what i can do..

brokeitin3
10-07-2003, 06:10 AM
there is an o-ring on the drain screw that proably just needs to be replaced. do you know how to remove the carb from one of these machines?:D :D wish i knew that he was looking i would have sold a 250ex for $1500

10-07-2003, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by brokeitin3
there is an o-ring on the drain screw that proably just needs to be replaced. do you know how to remove the carb from one of these machines?:D :D wish i knew that he was looking i would have sold a 250ex for $1500

Tanks fer the info brokitboy....he bought this one for $1800 and it's been used pretty good...:o the thing is totally stock so why it would be running lean i dont' know. Do they ship these suckers from the factory lean?????????

brokeitin3
10-07-2003, 06:38 AM
yeah they ship them that way, dont know why. but on a stock motor with just a pipe the dealer installed a 105 on amy's, i would suggest a 102 to a 105 main, and put the needle clip in the last notch. is it a 2000 or older? the older recons have different heads and carbs, if its a 2001 or newer is should have everything just like the 250ex. with amys set up i cna run with a 300ex in the woods:) and dont be jawing on me cauz i was only riding slow because she was with me:grr: