PDA

View Full Version : Blowing fuses

H_W
10-06-2003, 04:30 PM
I was riding my 400 yesterday and it ran fine all day. Started up fine everytime and everything. But when I got back to the truck and cut it off, it would not start back up. It was not even trying to start, the headlights wouldn't work either. While I was inspecting the battery today after work, I noticed this fuse holder right in front of the battery. I pulled the cap off and there are two fuses. I think one is a spare, but I am not sure. I pulled them both out and one was blown, the spare one was fine. So I put the good one in the spot where the blown one was and as soon as I turned the key it blew also. Before any one says this, yes they were both 15 amp fuses. I am not sure what is going on. Please help.

H_W
10-07-2003, 03:27 PM
For those who are interested, I found out what my problem is. I thought I had a bare wire somewhere touching the frame, but I searched and searched, looked over every wire and could not find one. I have just recently put new front and rear fenders on my 400 and my neutral light is not working. I knew that but everything else worked fine. I decided to unplug the wire going from the neutral light to the engine and try it. I put a new fuse in and turned the key. It did not blow, so I tried my headlights and they worked. I then pulled the clutch and hit the start button and it fired right up. So now I know it has something to do with the neutral light and wire. I just need to figure out exactly what.

RytM1
10-07-2003, 05:59 PM
Check along the entire length of that wire, you may have whats called a "pinch short", meaning you may have the wire pinched in something when you put the fenders on.

H_W
10-07-2003, 07:35 PM
I found my problem. When my friend was putting my neutral light back into the piece above the headlights, the bulb came loose or something. I took the bulb out to see if it was blown or something and put it back in and now the neutral light works and it quit blowing the fuse. So everything works now. I didn't realize that this could cause the fuse to blow. But apparently it can. It could have been a pinched short, I took the neutral light assembly back out of the front fender and put it back in. That may be what fixed it. I just am glad to finally have found it. Thanks for the reply.