PDA

View Full Version : What to do first? Shocks or wheels???

cbrown400ex
02-04-2002, 11:58 AM
Should I get wheels and tires or get tires(use stock wheels( and shocks(front elka). I am going to be racing xc. If I get wheels I am going to get carbon fiber on the rear and race wheels on the front. If i get shocks I will probably get the cheaper elkas. I am going to get 6 ply razors for the front and rear. Both would run abour the same cost. Just under $800. Which would you suggest? I already have most everything else needed(bumper,skid plates, nerf bars, handle bars, helmet, boots, etc...)Thanks for the help. CJ

02-04-2002, 12:50 PM
shocks...

400MXer
02-04-2002, 08:27 PM
go with tires on stock rims, and shocks.

02-07-2002, 09:16 PM
Wow, tough question. Riders usually ask motor mods first, or shocks first. My answer to that is definetly shocks first.

For XC, you definetly need good tires. As for rims, stock rims are actually good rims, even for XC racing. Shocks made a world of a difference for me.... :D My 2 cents.... go with shocks, you can even upgrade them in time if you need to.

Good luck racing.:macho

MOFO
02-07-2002, 09:22 PM
I would say the shocks also. The stock 400EX tires are pretty good for the most part and the rims are actually pretty tough as long as you stay out of the trees. :D

Best setup would be to get the shocks and squeeze out a set of 22" Razors or Holeshots for the rear and keep the stock rims and front tires. That would be a good combo to start with until you get the $$$ to complete what you want to do.

Eric

cbrown400ex
02-08-2002, 07:38 AM
Thanks for all the advice. I have decided to get race wheels and the new holeshot xcr's on the rear and get xc's for the front to go on my stock wheels. I need to buy a few other things so for now I am going to put the shock purchase off. I was going to order a pair of thor t-20 boots, but changed my mind and bought a pair of alpinestar tech-6's. I went to a local shop and tried both on and in my opinion the alpinestar is far superior. And it should be for $120 more. I wanted a confortable boot and those definitely are. I also needed to buy pants and a new pair of roll off goggles. With the wife's $1000 budget, that didn't leave any room for shocks. Plus I really want the triple rate elkas with comp adjustability. For $750 those will have to wait till next year. I also wanted to get my rear shock rebuilt at the same time. I figured it is my first year of racing and will be a total learning experience. By next year I should have a better feel of what shocks and set-up I need. Again thanks for the help. CJ

tprender
02-08-2002, 09:08 PM
If you are going to be racing XC and this is your 1st year best of luck and have some fun. The thing that is most important is to have good shocks. The stock ones will last about 1/2 of the year and then they will be shot. Stay with the stock wheels and get the 20" tires. The 400 has a small problem in XC races coming out of corners with any speed compared to the 20" tires. Save your money and dont buy the carbon fiber wheels. Try and find some 250r or any other older wheels. They are stronger than the 400ex wheels. Also, get some 250r tierods, the 400 tierods will bend. With your $1000 get the pants, boots,shocks, and tires. The wife will let you buy the other items later when you break the stock ones.
I have been riding and racing the GNCC since 1987 so I think that I know a little about them and what works.

SGA
02-09-2002, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by tprender
If you are going to be racing XC and this is your 1st year best of luck and have some fun. The thing that is most important is to have good shocks. The stock ones will last about 1/2 of the year and then they will be shot. Stay with the stock wheels and get the 20" tires. The 400 has a small problem in XC races coming out of corners with any speed compared to the 20" tires. Save your money and dont buy the carbon fiber wheels. Try and find some 250r or any other older wheels. They are stronger than the 400ex wheels. Also, get some 250r tierods, the 400 tierods will bend. With your $1000 get the pants, boots,shocks, and tires. The wife will let you buy the other items later when you break the stock ones.
I have been riding and racing the GNCC since 1987 so I think that I know a little about them and what works.

tprender's correct & saved me some typing. Go with the front shocks first! My stock shocks are holding me back bad. Run the stock rims for now. The stock front tires are o/k. Get rid of the stock rear tires & get some razrs or holeshots or any flat tread type tire. The rear stockers will throw you when you slide around corners. Do not go with the 22'' rears, stay with the 20''s. My friend who races X/C (he's way better than me) tried some 22''s on his 400 for fun in the last race we were in. He hated them, said they were way to tippy. Hes going back to 20's. Hope this helps

Dave400ex
02-09-2002, 05:45 PM
Sgaexer, What kind of Shocks do You and Your Buddy run?

SGA
02-09-2002, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
Sgaexer, What kind of Shocks do You and Your Buddy run?

I'm running the stockers for now, allmost have enough cash saved up for aftermarkets. My friend is running custom axis.

Dave400ex
02-09-2002, 06:09 PM
What kind are you going to get?

SGA
02-09-2002, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by WarriorMan
What kind are you going to get?

I'm no pro racer, heck, i'm usually in the back of the pack, but i'm havin a blast. I'm gonna get some works triple rate with rezzies. they'll do fine for me. Of course some peps or elkas would be nice too. $$$:(
Oh yea, i've noticed that i can hang with the fast guys more or less in the open fields, but once we hit the rough stuff the fast guys leave me. My stock shocks can't handle it.

Dave400ex
02-09-2002, 07:10 PM
I`m saving for Shocks now too. I think I`m going to get PEP ZPS. If I get different Shocks I will be able to Ride a lot faster. The Stock Shocks do hold you back from doing things.

stocktires
02-18-2002, 06:01 PM
I think just about everyone reccomend the shocks! there is a reason! You will regret getting rims. the have almost no effect on the bike except looking better. GET THE SHOCKS, stock's are very bad but will fad and are blown way before the season ends!!!

cbrown400ex
02-19-2002, 07:47 AM
Stocktires it was obvious to me too that the best purchase would have been shocks, but stock tires just wouldn't have worked. So i had to buy tires($250), i needed a pair of good boots($225), I got a good deal on pants, jersey,&gloves($139). Roll off googgles and misc. stuff($100).That left $286 left in the budget. I could have saved some money on boots and other stuff, but I still couldn't have afforded the shocks I wanted. In the past I have always regreted buying the bottom end of something just because that is what I could afford. And I seem to always end up getting what I orginally wanted in the long run anyway. So if I would have bought a cheap set of works shocks and then ended up buying a set of elka or pep; I would have spent $400 for nothing. I think good rear rims make sense. Also this is my first year. I seriously doubt I push my suspension to the limits. This is also a local series not GNCC. The races only last an hour. Maybe I'll get half way through the season and wish I have bought shocks. But I think that everything bought was just as much as necessity as shocks(with the exception of rear wheels but where can you find a set of shocks for $250). CJ

RideRed04
02-19-2002, 08:37 PM
Hey get the works, and then sell them to me when you have the money for new ones!

cbrown400ex
02-20-2002, 07:25 AM
What are a used set of works worth? I thought about that,but decided to do other mods first. CJ