PDA

View Full Version : Which Cam?

fastrax
10-06-2003, 07:42 AM
I'm looking for a cam to add power to a mostly stock 400. I ride in the southwestern part Pennsylvania which includes mostly woods, lots of mud, hill climbs, deep puddles, etc... I like my low end, but im willing to sarifice some for more top end. I have an R4 slip on, and no choke. i need more mid to top. Does anyone have any suggestions on which cam may provide this? i dont want to loose all my low end, however. Hotcams' stage one perhaps, or not worth the money for little gains? any suggestions or experience? Thanks

RED121572
10-06-2003, 04:03 PM
For mid to top end, try a hot cams stage 2. Those cams are so cheap nowadays, there practically giving them away on EBay.

Spend another hundred and sum bucks for a higher compression piston for the bottom end.

With a high compression piston for the low end.....and cam for the top end, you now have the best of both worlds.:D

Hope this was helpful!

RED

10-06-2003, 04:05 PM
ya the stage 2 hotcam owns with a high comp piston and a little bit of porting :D

MIA450R
10-06-2003, 07:14 PM
dude, weed wack that signature

WebCam's XR400 cam has done fine by me.

fastrax
10-06-2003, 10:01 PM
Thanks a bunch guys. i noticed that nobody mentioned the hotcams stage 1. i have heard that one's just a waste of metal... but the stage two is advertised for closed course racing only. i realize that it's not a law, but will i foul plugs like crazy with a stage 2?

cals400ex
10-06-2003, 10:36 PM
with stage 2 you won't foul plugs like crazy. actually, with stage 1 vs. stage 2, you won't notice much difference. my friend has almost the same amount of top speed as me when i am running a full exhaust, stage 2, and a higher compression piston. he is running stage 1, 10 compression versus my 10.8, and only a slip on. i can't figure it out, but he has about 1mph less top speed than i do. however, i beat him through the gears without a problem, but i think that is due to my piston.

JOEX
10-06-2003, 10:45 PM
My understanding is top speed is determined by gearing, wind resistance and weight. Internal engine components only help you get there sooner.

The importance of building a motor is to get the most power when it is most needed. Which varies by the type of riding an individual does.

JOe

JD400exrider
10-06-2003, 10:54 PM
My HRC Cam works very well in mid - top end with little to no low end lost HRC- Honda Quality ;)