PDA

View Full Version : bummer?!

slosh13
10-06-2003, 07:05 AM
I recently got my 416 built and i raced friday night and it ripped. Pulled the holeshot both motos over a new yamaha 450 2 polaris predators and a 426 hybrid. I went to race yesterday and i didnt even get two laps of practice in and my quad shut off. The electric starter was all that could be heard. There was no compression felt when i put my hand over the exhaust. It had great spark and the plug was burning great. We got it home and took it apart and we think that my cam chain came off. My dad and I took off the valve cover and noticed that there was a lot of slack in the chain and on the cam sprocket. You could pick it up a good 1/2 inch to an inch. We also checked my oil tank and there was no oil in there:eek2: We changed the oil the night before and checking it before we left that race day and it was clear full. My dads theory is that the cam chain came off the crank, thus not letting the crank circulate the oil through my motor. All the oil is sitting inside my cases. I hope thats the problem.What else could it be if its not the cam chain? thanks.:confused:

44oEX
10-06-2003, 07:34 AM
if your cam chain is that lose it is either worn out and came off . Or your chain tentioner is broken

UglyMotha™
10-06-2003, 12:34 PM
your oil rezzy should not be empty, the motor never pumps all the oil into the motor

slosh13
10-06-2003, 01:07 PM
uglymotha,

after my motor shut off we checked my oil cooler and it was dry as a bone. There was no oil in my cooler at all. We changed it the day before upgrading from an all-around motor oil to 4-cycle castrol synthetic oil. We are baffled on what could make the oil drain out of the tank. We thought maybe it blew out of the exhaust but there was no significant evidence of that. SO we are in a predicament. Anybody have any other theories? thanks for all your help.

10-06-2003, 04:58 PM
jake u neer have any luck with ur quad good luck tell me when u get it fixed i wnana go riding

UglyMotha™
10-07-2003, 06:26 AM
you definantly lost your oil somewhere, check all you gaskets and drain bolts for any leaks how much oil did you put in it when you changed it

slosh13
10-07-2003, 01:36 PM
we found out what the problem was...... the cam chain broke in half. It seemed like the tensioners werent tight?! but we cant prove that. We also drained all the oil out of the oil cooler ( if there even was any) and the motor cases. We found that all my oil was in my motor sitting. We also found deposits of the cam chain guides by my oil pump and clutches.:( Just wanted you guys to give you and update on what happened. We plan on fixing the problem and i plan on getting a Hotcam stage 2 cam as well to try out. Hope i like it. Well wish me luck on my progress. Later.:D