PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Predator?

Porkchop
10-05-2003, 09:34 PM
i looked at one yesterday over at les schwab and thought they were pretty dang cool looking!! how do the people that own them like them?? are they easy to take care of? are they tempermental? they handle good? power good? and one question i really wanna know... do they do good in the sand??? also if ya got some pictures of them just sittin around post them, i wanna look at some trick'd out and what not

QuadJunkies
10-05-2003, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Porkchop
i looked at one yesterday over at les schwab and thought they were pretty dang cool looking!! how do the people that own them like them?? are they easy to take care of? are they tempermental? they handle good? power good? and one question i really wanna know... do they do good in the sand??? also if ya got some pictures of them just sittin around post them, i wanna look at some trick'd out and what not We own a Predator and have had a few problems with it(seat bolt frame issue on some early models and Tranny issues on alot of the TLD models) but all under warrenty . I still feel it was a great quad and have had good performance and its been awesome on the MX(for all who says a predator is not cut out for MX) They do VERY well in sand, bottom end is my only real complaint but mid range is VERY sweet!:blah: Lime the Cdale, you do have to do frequent oil changes and this quad likes to be revved!We ride primarliy sand all summer and winter when not racing,so yes.... they are great in sand,just dithced the razrs cause they suck in sand for any climbing.. I have posted our Predator many times and have TONS of pics in my sonyimagestation of close ups, racing pics and duning pics as well. here is the link to my album if you want to see some of them........:) TINA http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4289656077

RED121572
10-06-2003, 03:48 PM
I was real happy with mine for awhile....Until I started to trail ride in Pa with it. On the Predator, its either your on the gas or off....its abnoxious. Tranny feels like it could be better, if the chain is not spot on, it rattles. I dont like how the seat makes me sit so far forward. Most the time when my stalls out, it takes several seconds for it too start back up. After a few hours on one, youll realize it aint a Honda. Polaris had a great idea with this machine.....but it just dont feel like a Honda. Compared to my 435EX, it doesnt have squat for bottom end. I would be willing to bet my 435EX could win a street drag race up to the EX's top speed.
If I had to do it all over again, I wouldve passed it up for either the new Yamahadog 450 or the new Honda 450R.

Good luck with your choice.:D

RED:D

Dune Surfer
10-06-2003, 03:56 PM
I love mine:) Better in the sand than my honda 426. I rode this weekend with three piped z-4oo's and a piped ported shee. The shee couldn't lose me and the z's can't keep up with the speed of the pred or the shee. I think it is the right quad for me.

stock400ex
10-07-2003, 04:52 PM
i love mine too. ive had it for about a month and not a prob except a broken headlight mount. (has anyone had this prob yet?) the speed is great. 9.2 1/8 mile time with bad reaction time.never got beat the whole night :o

here is a pic of mine although it is all stock...

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/vtecivic10/predside1.JPG

KrazyKid300ex
10-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Imo get the yfz. I have had not one problem with mine yet. i think polaris needs a 450 light weight quad but i do think the predator is pretty damn sweet.

QuadJunkies
10-08-2003, 07:52 AM
Originally posted by KrazyKid300ex
Imo get the yfz. I have had not one problem with mine yet. i think polaris needs a 450 light weight quad but i do think the predator is pretty damn sweet. they do have a 440 kit and rumor has it they are working on shaving some of the weight off it soon.....:D funny thing is. when I jump it, you really dont feel the weight of it....;) They also need to not have that motor so overprotected and get those RPMS up!! it revs out WAY too fast for what its got..

trueblue450
10-10-2003, 03:07 PM
Those predators run fast. I raced mx and they were with me the whole time and jumped the same triple i was hitting.. They seem pretty nice, but i did pull the hole shot by 3 bike lenghts on a stock 450l.

flyin#5
10-10-2003, 04:02 PM
preds are fast. they like to nose dive though.

250rquadracer
10-10-2003, 05:02 PM
Dude my PrEdAtOr is off the Foshizzle, its hauls *** and BULL ****T that it NOSE dives i jump that **** as far as my 400ex, it jumps BETTER and the suspension is awsome, IF u get one go with the rezziiz on it, the steering is the best i have ridden, and i never road it in the sand, but i heard that they are half descent, mine rides like a jacket up 250R but it doesnt feel top heavy and it never want to come up on 2wheelies and it like to wheelie, i think the shifting is a little slopy but isnt to bad.

i had it about a year, it is a little heavy when u are putting it on the trailer, but when ur driving it u cant tell and in the air it feels nice and comfy, and it hauls *** in the sno!http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid75/p6e44d757e651b04f2fd37e9a20fa93c1/fb4e9a69.jpg

QuadJunkies
10-10-2003, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by flyin#5
preds are fast. they like to nose dive though. that couldnt be more further from the truth!:D Its Anti-nose dive....Unless you pull what I did and let off the throddle on the table........:o :eek: hehe I learned my lesson there!!!!

AlaskaSpeed
10-11-2003, 07:47 AM
I don't own a Predator, but a very good friend of mine does....we actually raced together this season. He had a lot of problems with his...the most common was front brake calipers braking and locking up. I personally witnessed this happen on more than one occasion. He also had his frame crack at the top rails under the seat/tank area. For what it's worth, he is selling it and going to buy the new Honda for racing next season. He says it's heavy, he raced an R for years prior....so him calling the Predator heavy is no surprise compared to that.........JIM

Braff1
10-13-2003, 06:20 AM
I bought my Predator approx 2 months ago. Since then I have run 1 GNCC (Sparta), 1 Mid-south hare Scramble, 4 xc Races at Haspin (loacal race), and 1 poker run (1 hr to complete 5 laps). This is not to mention the additional trail riding on the weekends that I am not racing.

As for the front nose dive theory, all I can say is it flies as straight and true as my 400ex. The suspension gives a sweet ride. It needs some fine tuning for my weight (213#). I replaced the rear razors with some Hole shot XCR-03. Let me tell you these babys hook up that power to the ground. I agree with the sad low end power but after putting on the 13T counter sprocket from a xr 650 the bottom end is no problem. Since adding the HMF pipe and K&N I think I can now run a combo of 14T front with +1 tooth in the rear, just have to adjust to track conditions. knock on wood but I have not had any brake problems with mine. I did get a piece of gravel locked up in the front caliper this weekend. Scared me at first till I rolled the quad back and out it fell. Boy I was happy to see that!! No cracks noted in the frame, I check after racing/riding.

Overall I am very happy with the Predator. I think that if you look at each design, yamaha, suzuki, honda, and polaris, they all have their Achilles tendon. I think one thing to look at with the predator is Polaris is being good about fixing problems(may be slow at it but they are replacing cracked frames). I fill also that Polaris is actually listening to their riders, (exampes: 04 updates include, better shifting, Honda rear hub pattern, overall weight reduction, and reinforcement of the top mount that is known to break)

TroyLeePred03
10-13-2003, 05:45 PM
check my new post for pics of my pred...i love mine and all 10 of the ones ive sold the owners love it and wouldnt trade it for anything else...we have had no major problems with them....and polaris is good about putting bulletins out for problems...TLP