View Full Version : Elka SSD tripple rates and TOW settings?

Steven
10-05-2003, 08:39 PM
I have my front end towed in 1/4 inch with me sitting on the quad.

Problem is that when I get in the whops and the front end starts working up and down with those plush shocks, my front end gets darty as if I dont have enough tow in.

Do I need more than 1/4 inch tow in or do I need to increase preload to reduce the shock travel action?

Thanks, Steve

HELP!

10-06-2003, 09:34 AM
off of the quad on a 400ex your suppose to have a half inch of tow in on each side it shouldnt be measured with u on the quad as far as i know

thats also the first time ive heard anyone say elkas are plush:p

norrisboat
10-06-2003, 09:40 AM
You should be measuring in the angle(degrees) not inches. What do you mean by darty anyway? Is that in the webster dictionary?

10-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Originally posted by norrisboat
You should be measuring in the angle(degrees) not inches. What do you mean by darty anyway? Is that in the webster dictionary?

noo your talking about the wrong thing

tow in is the front wheels point together forward, camber is what your talking about that can make it darty too lol

bleupoud
10-06-2003, 11:55 AM
It's seem like your front is to low for the rear. Mesure under the frame and make sure that you have 1/4 inch more groud clearance at front than rear. I suggest you to lower your rear.

norrisboat
10-06-2003, 01:19 PM
damn. I dont know what i was thinking freeride.

Hey pay no attention to what I was saying in my earlier post. Whoops!!!! I didnt have my morning coffee. That must have been the problem.

boogiechile
10-06-2003, 03:58 PM
bluepoud is probably right, especially if you have a stock rear shock with those frt elkas. Caster is what is needed to hold a straight line and remove the dartyness(is that a word?). If the frt is lower than the rear that effectively makes the caster less. The more positive the caster is the straighter it will track(but the harder it is to turn). So leveling the quad or making the rear slightly lower will be like adding more positive caster. If you have aftermarket a arms with heims at the frame you can set the caster(about 4.5 degrees is good for mx). As for the tow it can make it darty if it is not towed in enough, especially on very loose or sandy tracks. 1/4 inch tow in should be about right though. It may help to add just a little more tow in and it should be set with you on the quad.

Before someone gets caster and camber confused, You can not SEE the caster angle by looking at the tires. And you can not adjust it unless you have heim type joints where the arm attaches to the frame rail.

Steven
10-06-2003, 06:14 PM
yea, i got the stock rear... i guess thats the problem

thanks, fellas