PDA

View Full Version : why suspension before motor

02-04-2002, 09:16 AM
iam just curious why you need to do handling mods on a 400ex before motor mods......the thing handles awesome already?

oynot400
02-04-2002, 10:21 AM
If you do the suspension first you will be able to handle corner and jumps faster because you can control it better. I did the motor work first because I thought that it handled great, but if I were to do it again I would do the suspension first. ;)

02-04-2002, 12:10 PM
Cause your suspensions more important. untill you can push your motor to the limit and use it's full potential then why upgrade something you can't use right. suspension reduces fatiuge(sp?), makes the quad handle better ans allows for bigger air

Mitch400EX
02-04-2002, 12:26 PM
I agree with LRDTRX250R, the 400EX handles great in stock form, but not well enough to push the motor to its limits. Fatigue is probably the biggest problem you will face during a race. suspension will go a long way in keeping your lap times consistent. I raced last year for the first time, the only real mod I had done to my bike was the addition of works tripple rates W/O cans on the front (not very good, but still a lot better than stock). The motor was totally stock. I got holeshotted a lot and was always toward the back of the pack at the first corner, but as the races progressed I had always passed like 5 or 6 people. I think the suspension had a lot to do with this. This was not a very technical track, and most of the other 400's were running motor mods with stock suspension. The only guys that were ever in front of me on the final lap had 440's or raptors, and I was right on their tails. Had I just had more laps per race I probably could've passed everyone up.

PhilMoore
02-04-2002, 06:31 PM
That theory is only for racing, where you need an advantage. Or, if you like to do big jumps. If you are bottoming out a lot, you better get it fixed ASAP.
If you are not racing, go for the motor mods first!

400exRacerX
02-04-2002, 06:37 PM
Whats the point of having a extremely fast quad you can't handle?

optikid123
02-04-2002, 07:05 PM
with better suspension you will be able to use your extra power but if you do the motor mods now you wont be able to take full advantage of the power

Tommy 17
02-04-2002, 07:11 PM
ask norm (400exracerx) or kendrick(blackguy) how much i bug them on aol bc i need to find ways to get my quad to handle better... now i have all this power i can't handle it at times... so its worthless at times... if i had to do it again u would see my axle still here and elkas and houser a-arms on my qaud... haha sry norm and kendrick for buggin yinz all the time haha... but i would get handlin first...