PDA

View Full Version : Sprocket suggestions

NewRider
02-04-2002, 08:44 AM
I bought my ride used, and the fellow that had it before geared 2 teeth lower on the rear. Its fairly new, the front is the stock sprocket.. showing some wear. I was wondering if I should put a stock tooth sprocket back on the rear.. or just get a 14T to replace the worn front. I think this would actually gear it a little lower than stock and didnt know what problems that may pose.

Thanks for any suggestions

02-04-2002, 09:23 AM
If your 400 is stock engine-wise, I would go back to all-stock gearing, or go back to stock in the rear and 14T in the front.

My 416 has enuff mods to easily pull a 16T in front (similar to your rear sproket having -2), but a stock or lightly modded 400 will have trouble off the line with this setup.

Good luck.

NewRider
02-04-2002, 09:27 AM
Well, Im currently running with a JE 10.8, XRcam, and K&N ... the powers ok.. just seems to be missing that initial jump.

02-04-2002, 09:40 AM
Hmm...I would really think you would be ok to stay with the gearing you have then. -2 in the rear isnt quite as "tall" gearing as my 16T up front (closer to -3 in rear), and I have seen lightly-mildly modded 400's pull the -2 in rear with no problems.

Any chance your airflow or jetting isn't up to snuff?

I prefer the 16T up front on mine because I can easily pull it, off the line and thru the top of 5th...resulting in higher top speeds in each gear (dont hit rev limiter as easily either), so I can keep up with and even pass 250R's and Raptors out there.

RideRed400EX
02-04-2002, 09:49 AM
Can you still run a casesaver?

NewRider
02-04-2002, 10:04 AM
Well, I know I have jetting problems... Im still running factory pipe, which Im planning on changing. Maybe Im just expecting too much I dunno..lol Been out of this for some time... and when I was into offroading... it was 2-cycle bikes... *shrugs* Guess is could be doing fine off the line... just seemed weak to me. Thanks for the input though.. I appreciate it.

02-04-2002, 01:07 PM
NewRider
No prob man, hope I helped a bit...Yeah, with the mods your engine has, i would say under ideal tuning conditions that you should be pulling that gear ratio fine. I'd slap an aftermarket exhaust on, and get a 'tune-up' and see how you do before changing the gearing. Or, just go to stock gearing (15/38) which performs well all around. (I just like having the higher top speed)

RideRed400EX
The stock case saver wont fit with the 16T, but about 30 mins with a dremmel/grinder, and you can make it fit...