PDA

View Full Version : 250r leaking coolant

panteramatt
10-05-2003, 03:11 PM
I was out ridind today and notices a great deal of antifreeze leaking from under my r and it seems to be coming out of a hole on the bottom of the water pump cover and then the thing got crazy hot and even melted off the stickers on my cool head! Whats this hole for and how do I fix it? Do you think I did any damage running it so hot? It still kicks over but I havent started it since.

deathman53
10-05-2003, 06:41 PM
the screw that goes in the drain hole must have rattled out. you probably blew the top end, if it melted the stickers on the head.

panteramatt
10-05-2003, 06:51 PM
I dont believe that th etop end is blown cause it wasnt even really broken in yet before this happened and it still has plenty of compression. Is there supposed to be a screw in there cause I was told that its a weep hole.Do you think that I need my waterpump rebuilt or just a screw?

lil400exman
10-05-2003, 07:35 PM
well we cant tell you as we arent there looking at it and seeing what happened. Take it apart and really study it seeing if anythings wrong or not. Yes there is a hole in the bottom of the water pump. it has a phillips head and a socket head on there. I take the socket and some blue loctite and torque it down a bit but not too much as that is magnesium.;)

mikealexander88
10-05-2003, 08:21 PM
most likly your mechanical seal is worn out but i would take the cover off and make sure the impeller is tight, if it gets loose it leaks like a mofo. i had to replace my mechanical seal on mine, if you do u should get a new water pump shaft bearing and iol seal along with the mechanical seal so it doesn't ware out as fast. the ceapest place i have found to get any parts for the R is http://www.servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx250r%2086-89/trx250r%20frames%20page.htm - i reccomend them highly, i'v never had any troubles w/ them and they have the best prices around. hope this helps, i also know that there was a really long post the could tell you anything about the water pump leaking you wanted to know on www.rriders.com thats the site you should be looking at for info. i hope i helped some- mike

310Rduner
10-05-2003, 09:46 PM
That is the weep hole that it is leaking out of. You probably need to replace your mechanical seal, which was about $28 from service honda when i replaced mine. When my water pump mechanical seal, and water pump shaft/impeller broke that is exactly what happened. Don't run the bike anymore, you will only burn out the coolant and then overheat your bike.

panteramatt
10-06-2003, 12:43 PM
I think I should but the whole kit than and do it all at the same time.Is this hard to do?