PDA

View Full Version : changing tires???

chrisp333
10-05-2003, 01:58 PM
im going riding today with a few people and i need to change my tires before i go. is there any easy way to do this at home? i dont have a bead breaker and im doin the fronts... any info would help thanks...

Bill Fuller
10-05-2003, 02:44 PM
A hack saw maybe.....Honda rims are about the most difficult rims there are to break the bead.Good luck you WILL need it.Your best bet is to wait and take them to a tire store(Co-Op ,Wal mart etc...)and pay them to break the bead.I've seen Honda rims hurt many a strong mans pride.

skemp
10-05-2003, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't waste my time without the right tools.

terko440
10-05-2003, 04:15 PM
Hey Crisp, I just did mine this weekend. I still had my stock tires on my 99 400ex fronts. Even with my bead breaker they didnt want to come off. I know this method sounds half arse but it works. Just put them in front of your vehicle and run them over getting your car tire as close as possible to the rim. Do both sides of course. As far as getting them off, I think it always helps to have soapy water hand and a couple desent sized flat screwdrivers. Pry the tire over the lip of the wheel. Leave it there and do the same with the other screw driver.(I used screw drivers beacause I do not yet own a set of tire removing spoons.) Just go easy and you wont punture anything. Just keep removing the one of the screw drivers until you work it around to the half way point and you should be able to pull the rest of the tire over the lip. Same goes for the other side of the tire. It will take some time to figure which way to pry on what side but you can do iiiittttt! As far as seating the beads, make sure you have access to a air compressor that can inflate fast like a gas station or something other wise your screwed unless you feel brave and do the lighter fluid method which I'd really rather not get into. wet your tires and wheels before inflating to help the tire seat. Good luck and be careful. One more thing. It helps to remove the valve stem so you have no pressure in the tire and so it can breath better when trying to remove the tire from the wheel. Out!

10-05-2003, 06:01 PM
yah i couldnt get my stock tires opff with my friends bead breaker last time...the other ones i got now on the fronts are now down too. will they be just as hard as the stock tires to get off or doyo uthink my friend could do it down the street with his bead breaker. :huh

terko440
10-05-2003, 06:35 PM
I'm not sure if it's the stock rims or the tires that cause the problems but I didnt have too much trouble getting my mx holeshots on stock wheels. I just got tired of having to have someone help me all the time and it's just nice to no how to be able to do it if your out camping or something. Good luck guys.

chrisp333
10-05-2003, 08:35 PM
i tried running them over with my truck that didnt even break the bead. so i bought a bead breaker and that i bent in 2 places and didnt even come close to takeing the tire off.

after much aggravation i got one off and the new one on but im going to wait and take the other one to get done by someone that has a neumatic machine.. its not worth the hassle.

thanks guys

R-Crazy
10-06-2003, 07:25 AM
i just put new rears on yesterday, and after cuttin both originals apart w/ a Sawzall, i figured it was time to take it to a place 2 do it for me. my dad has friends a local gulf station and i brought them there, they were done in about 2 hours, and the guy did it for free (its nice having connections). no pain, no hassle, and they even cleaned my rims;)

dave