PDA

View Full Version : Question about a wierd looking screw

JForestZ34
10-05-2003, 07:30 AM
Does anybody know what this screw type is. It looks like a torx but it has more points to it. It looks like it has about 4 more points to it. I'm trying to post a picture but I can't seem to do it.

James:rolleyes:

Bill Fuller
10-05-2003, 08:16 AM
Can't help without a picture,sorry.

4TraxRider
10-05-2003, 08:47 AM
There are a few of those on an old 70's scooter I have, but I don't know what they are called. I know if you have a 6-point socket, and the bolt isn't seized in, it will come out. But the socket has to fit very tightly, because it strips really easily.

seven
10-05-2003, 09:53 AM
OOOOPPPS! I thought you were talking about somthing else.

JForestZ34
10-05-2003, 09:57 AM
It's not a bolt I'm trying to get out it look like a torx head screw but with a couple more piont in the screw head

James

400exride.red
10-05-2003, 10:30 AM
This could be a screw called a triple square i dont know the technical term for it but thats what it sounds like triple squares come in male and female and the only place i found too get sockets for them was off the tool trucks (ie snap on mac ect.) Just a thought

danney f
10-05-2003, 12:48 PM
The screw has 6 points right? looks something like this "*" If so you are reffering to a star screw. I have bought bits and seen them at just about every where that carrys tool. Wallmart, Auto Zone, Sears, ect....

JForestZ34
10-05-2003, 02:40 PM
That's the one I'm talking about. You said you got the bits at Walmart or sears. Thanks for the help. You said there called star screws. Or a star bit?

Thanks James

Doibugu2
10-05-2003, 03:09 PM
What is the screw in? Sounds to me like it is one of the security screws, like found on things your not supposed to open.

I don't think you can get them at walmart.

skemp
10-05-2003, 03:45 PM
That is a Torx you are referring to from what I understand. Looks like *

danney f
10-05-2003, 05:48 PM
It all depends on the Walmart wether or not they will carry them. But you should be able to get them at any auto store.
Yes, torx is another name for them.
No, they are not used for security. they been used for automotive uses for years. to hold on tail lights, head lights, seat belts, ect....

Here is a link to some on JC Whitney.
http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?Dx=mode+matchall&productId=4596&catalogId=10101&Ntx=mode+matchallany&langId=-1&storeId=10101

skemp
10-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by danney f
No, they are not used for security. they been used for automotive uses for years. to hold on tail lights, head lights, seat belts, ect....
He was referring to a similar type of screw that is used on things such as mass airflow sensors, computers, EFI systems, etc. in cars and trucks. They look much like a Torx screw with a pin in the middle so a normal Torx driver cannot be used. They are a bit harder to find than normal Torx tools, but are out there.
Not really relevant here, but a bit of FYI nonetheless. :)

Here is a normal Torx
http://www.aaronstorxscrews.com/images/TorxDriveMachineScrews.gif
And this is a security Torx. Notice the pin in the middle.
http://www.adorama.com/images/Product/VDRAPNTXB.jpg

Doibugu2
10-05-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by danney f
It all depends on the Walmart wether or not they will carry them. But you should be able to get them at any auto store.
Yes, torx is another name for them.

Skemp's pic is what I was refering too. There are normal torx which you should be able to get almost anywhere. The security torx are a much different story.

danney f
10-05-2003, 09:54 PM
I gotcha, I have came across those too in the past. In the past I have use a drimel with a very small grinding tip to remove the center part, so I can use a standard torx bit.

400exride.red
10-05-2003, 11:53 PM
yea torx are real common butt i was refering too triple square they r 12 points and the female ones you need special tools too get at there poppin up on new cars all over now-adays