PDA

View Full Version : cam comments / ideas

400exride.red
10-05-2003, 02:15 AM
Well here is an idea I had,I helped my friend put a white bros cam in his 400.We didnt want too pay the high price too have the rockers hard faced by powerall,so we had them done at a automotive cam grinding shop.(Iposted this under the tips section long ago ) This has worked well over 30 hours on it and no probs all oil cahnges loked good no exesive wear on the cam we can see as of yet.
Here is my new comment on this. I was talking too the shop doin the work and they said they can build a new/reground cam for me and hard face my rockers all for about $150 they measured the white bros cam and a web cam another friend was doin at the same time . They also said they have done a few xr 400 cams for local hairscramble riders from local dirt bike clubs.
I think this could be a cheap alternative too the major mark up on atv performance parts .Ill keep everyone here informed as too how it goes for me My openion was made up when the hard facing from an auto shop worked well so far so im gonna give it a shot any one out there ever try havin a auto motive cam regrinder do thier cam for them using aftermarket cams and stock cams as a guide ? thanks again for the comments in advance ill keep yall updated.

bmw500hp
10-05-2003, 07:28 PM
have always thought it weird that 3 pockets full of hardened rockers could be worth about the same as a stock 400ex

personally, going with a performance shops work on the rockers would be ok but I personally wouldn't chance it on the cam. If you do however, it would be interesting to know how it turns out.