PDA

View Full Version : rev limiter

10-04-2003, 08:27 PM
what is the best rev limiter for mx??

AtvMxRider
10-04-2003, 08:29 PM
Just keep the stock one you will be happier.

10-04-2003, 08:30 PM
whys that

AtvMxRider
10-04-2003, 08:32 PM
cause aftermarket rev boxes are more trouble than they are worth.

10-04-2003, 08:34 PM
have you had one, or had any experiance with one?

ReconRider25
10-06-2003, 07:41 PM
i heard its alot harder to start them especially when its cold during the winter

infantry317
10-07-2003, 05:32 PM
I've ran one for MX and a 2hr XC race, I was very pleased with the throttle response and being able to rev more R's rather than shifting up when coming upon a corner. I will be buying one in the spring and hopefully borrowing another in two weeks for the final XC race. Good luck which ever way you go.

But I would listen to the racers. Ask Rico, Cody Anderson, 465stroker and some of the other racers.

Just my .02

AtvMxRider
10-08-2003, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by infantry317

But I would listen to the racers. Ask Rico,
Just my .02

He races?:huh

infantry317
10-09-2003, 05:55 AM
GNCC, and MX

10-09-2003, 06:12 AM
I've owned one and used it for about 8 months. Your quad will have starting problems if your battery is not fully charged at all times. Which is only for about 3 or 4 months on a new quad. Weather has nothing to do with hard starting. Mine wouldn't start in Aug. and it was 95 degrees out. Yes they do give you a little more rev, but the power drops off before you even get to the extra 1,200 RPM's that a rev limiter gives you. I put my stocker back in and I"m very happy with it compared to the WB CDI I bought. I suggest you keep the money and put it towards a Cam or High Comp. Piston. Those upgrades WILL give you a power increase.

If you want more revs get the flywheel shaved..:cool:

infantry317
10-09-2003, 06:24 AM
Good info Rico, I may stand corrected here :confused: :devil:
But I still like how the machine revs quicker. I'm only running one for races.

10-09-2003, 06:47 AM
Good info Rico, I may stand corrected here :confused: :devil:
But I still like how the machine revs quicker. I'm only running one for races.

When i first put the WB cdi on i only had a pipe and filter. I liked the first ride out. Actually felt like i had a lot more power. I soon got use to the power and then it became a bear to get the thing started. PRetty sad when you pull into a track and you have to push start your $$9,000 quad..:o After you ride awhile it will fire up everytime but that first start is not fun.. I'll run the stocker from this point on. I do know that some boxes are great for TT racing but there unlimited. I've seen first hand a buddy of mine take his brand spankin new rebuilt pissed off 330ex out on his first run at a race and blew the mofo up before he got too the first jump..all because of an unlimited rev limiter and he figured he could hold it wide open... That's what i like about the stocker..i'll run mine pegged in 3rd gear and never wory about it blowin the piston thru my legs from it over revving..

Colby@C&DRacing
10-09-2003, 11:18 PM
I have ran the aftermarket CDI on all of my bikes and have never had a staring problem unless it was 0 degrees out side. If you are looking for a better cdi box I would suggest the Dyna programable box it puts out 500 %more spark than the stock cdi. As for the other cdi's not doing any good because the HP drops off before you get to the higher rev limiter that is true only on a stock motor.:)

Toadz400
10-09-2003, 11:34 PM
i also have never had any problems with starting up, and my battery is still the stock one from 2000. even when it's cold out, i put the choke at full, pump the throttle 3-4 times, and hit the button and it starts right up. so i don't know what's wrong with your quad....but mine starts right up, and i have a WB CDI.

stupid driver
10-10-2003, 06:38 AM
i got a tc limiter, which is just a modified stock box. 1200 more rpm really makes a difference on a built motor

bmw500hp
10-10-2003, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by stupid driver
i got a tc limiter, which is just a modified stock box. 1200 more rpm really makes a difference on a built motor

This is true, I have ridden alot on friends Sparks National on the track and there is a huge difference, especially if you have a fcr and cam/headwork to push those rpm's as a national does.

The box is necessary to get the most out of those mods.

Unfortunately, I missed half my first practice ride that day pulling the freakin quad to get it started. Finally switched to my box and then back to his...no fun when your excited to ride:mad:

I am with Rico, I can't imagine a rev box on quad 15 miles back in bum f*cked in the middle of a big ole ravine. Only on a track quad.

The Dyna box sounds real nice if Colby is sure they have overcame the problem of starting. :cool:

Waynes400ex
10-10-2003, 09:34 AM
I have also ran a cdi box. But now that I have went to a 440 and higher comp I dont think i'am going to run it, because every engine builder has told me there is no way that your vavles WONT float unless you have springs and rockers, because of the higher reving box. I have never had a hard time starting my bike , but my brothers has had a hard time starting his, but once his bike has been ridden our warmed up it seems to be fine the rest of the day. Oh yeah the rev box from white brothers is just a cdi from a xr250!!. So if you want save yourself some moeny and just buy that !

ECAthumperEX33
10-10-2003, 04:40 PM
I ran the TC rev box on my worked motor and i've never had a problem with starting. I've heard the WB and some other cheaper boxes have troubles at times but i've never heard of the TC. I'm selling all my 400ex motor stuff and electrics because i am putting a yz 426 motor in it. I will be selling that rev box. It has about 20hours on it. Email me at atvmxrider@epix.net for more info

AtvMxRider
10-10-2003, 05:26 PM
GNCC, and MX

I thought he just hung around in the pits.......:huh

:blah: :devil:

ATVer14
10-11-2003, 10:04 AM
I ran the WB box for half a season and then switched back to my stock box. I couldn't even tell the difference, except that I didn't have to worry about over-reving it. I think that if you need more revs than the stock box gives, you should have shifted a few hundred rpm's back!:D

QuadJunkies
11-07-2003, 01:22 AM
I was debating on one for flattrack season .......Will this benefit me any ? I was reading about the WB CDI and it claims up to 2Hp gain?????? Is this REALLY true? I was thinking maybe this would be a good thing for me on the shorter track so I dont rev out so fast since Im racing machines that tap out higher up than I do.....
:confused: anyone know how it will do in TT or shorttrack racing?

cals400ex
11-07-2003, 09:15 AM
that box won't give 2 horsepower.

bradley300
11-07-2003, 09:49 AM
big gun also sells the stock xr250 box as a 400ex rev box.

on my 350, i had gthunder just remove the limiter on the stock box.

QJ, i dont know much about flat track, it seems to me, the only reason for a rev box is if you cant reach the peak horse power of the motor with a stock rev limiter

QuadJunkies
11-07-2003, 10:16 AM
lol. Wait.. its was Big Gun who claimed a 2 HP gain now that I think about it:o , but it just seems a little High for a Rev Limiter sinice I REALLY didint think a Rev limiter would give you a HP gain to begin with, but I could be wrong I guess:confused: I just wondered if I wouldnt have to shift as much on the short track and be able to keep us alittle better with the bigger boyz on the track:( .. I guess I might just go back to stock sprocket instead.....

bradley300
11-07-2003, 10:28 AM
i would say gearing is your best advantage QJ

Pappy
11-07-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by bradley300
it seems to me, the only reason for a rev box is if you cant reach the peak horse power of the motor with a stock rev limiter

i agree...and ill add that unless the new rev box changes the timing or advance's the curve there really isnt any power to be gained on a stock engine

QuadJunkies
02-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
i agree...and ill add that unless the new rev box changes the timing or advance's the curve there really isnt any power to be gained on a stock engine thought I might add to this now......So.... Im putting on a GTThunder CDI,,,,.............How well will it do on mine now with all its mods????..........:D Will the CDI make a difference??? Does Vortex make a CDI for the Honda? it REALLY helped the Predator, I just didnt want to spend as much(400.00:eek: ) IS GT the best way to go? Everyone else pleased with this CDI????? Just making sure I made the right choice......;) Rico seemed happy with there CDI........

cals400ex
02-02-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
thought I might add to this now......So.... Im putting on a GTThunder CDI,,,,.............How well will it do on mine now with all its mods????..........:D Will the CDI make a difference??? Does Vortex make a CDI for the Honda? it REALLY helped the Predator, I just didnt want to spend as much(400.00:eek: ) IS GT the best way to go? Everyone else pleased with this CDI????? Just making sure I made the right choice......;) Rico seemed happy with there CDI........

from what i read the gt and tc box will both enable your bike to start in the colder months. i don't know where the rev limits are set at on each box though. i can't imagine a gain in power except the fact you can rev it farther. however, this definately helped out on my bike. i don't have any personal experience with either box though.

Smokin 440
02-02-2004, 05:12 PM
A rev box will only do you good if you have a built motor, with a hotter cam and heavy duty valve springs etc. My motor has a very hot web cam with heavy duty springs, and the higher reav allows you to top out higher and pull longer and shift less for flattrack...

H440exconfused
02-03-2004, 06:20 PM
Everyone keeps saying it wont get you more power, and hard starting, I was under the impression that the CDI boc controlled spark ignition, and an after market box has a different timing set point and timing curve, which does help out but does make it hard for starting, I have my CDI boxes piggy backed, here in the winter in Michigan, after it warms up, I flip it over and it runs great. Without the WB box, it constantly runs in the limiter and reaches it way to quickly.

H440exconfused
02-03-2004, 06:21 PM
CDI controls timing correct????????????????/