PDA

View Full Version : Woohoo! Wife gives OK for arms & shocks!

02-04-2002, 02:19 AM
Howdy guys and gals! I'm sitting here grinnin' ear to ear 'cuz I struck a deal with the boss and I've been alotted some cash for a-arms and shocks all around. Though I've got a firm budget to conform to, I think I can get what I'm after, but I need to find the right deal, right now! One wrong move on my part and she could change her mind! (the rest of you married-types know EXACTLY what I mean)

Here's what I'm after;

Houser +2 Long-Travel a-arms (chrome tops, red bottoms), and ZPS tripple rates w/rezzies all around. I'm set firm on houser for the a-arms, so I'm looking for a "package deal" that I can get my hands on ASAP. The shocks can be Elka or PEP. From what I've researched/read/been-told either manufacturer is a top-choice and would serve me quite well. I will have the stock rear sent in for conversion, as this seems to be the most economical choice. I will probably have to wait on the wider rear axle for a while, so I will use spacers in the rear for the time being. I am a big guy 370# last I checked, and I beat on my 400 pretty hard. I am primarily after a MX setup, but I do hit the dunes as well.

Questions;

1. Where should I look for best package pricing? I believe there is a fellow ex-rider with a new shop who carries Houser and Elka and boasts a $1450 price for the a-arms and shocks that I want.

2. What sort of delivery times should I expect?

3. If I get a piggy-back reservoir, will I still be able to use shock covers? I like the simplicity of the piggyback, but I'll go with the remote layout if I need to so as to protect my investment with shock-covers.

4. I am losing weight rapidly. I have lost nearly 150# since June and will loose another 100# or more by the end of this year. I plan to order for a rider weight of 350# for now and send them in later to compensate for additional weight loss. Is it safe to assume that either shock manufacturer can deal with this for a reasonable price? What should I expect this to cost later?

5. I assume I will need longer brake lines up front, so I could use a recommendation on where to look for them as well.

6. Lastly, anybody got some rear wheel spacers for sale?

Thanks a bunch for your input now and in the past. I trust most of your opinions pretty well, even that nutjob Rico with the rubbermaid airbox and the boomerang axle.

FatBoy

kabd69667
02-04-2002, 05:22 AM
You'll have to get your rear shock revalved to zps or ssd also if you get the fronts. You can get that done for $275 at HSD Racing or the Quad Shop. I have the Elka triple rate compression only adjust and they're great. You have to get used to jumping with the ssd if you haven't ever jumped a quad with that on it. You'll get the Elka's much faster than PEP's. So you'll just have to add $275 on to that $1450. I got my Elka's in 2 weeks. I think i have heard that PEP's are about 4-6 i think. You won't need longer brake lines, you can use stock. But steel braided lines are a good investment. Just about anyone has those. Moto man, nacs, ect

NewRider
02-04-2002, 06:49 AM
FatBoy,

Im afraid I dont have any suggestions on your topic, but just wanted to say "WAY TO GO!!" on your weight. Thats a heck of a drop since June. :)

02-04-2002, 07:56 AM
YOu won't need new brake lines with the +2 arms,,but if ya got them in the budget,,good purchase,worth it.

And I can't remember the new member's name but I'm sure he'll chim in sometime soon,,not a bad price on the shock/arm setup.

ANd a big thumbs up on the wieght lose man,,keep up the good work.:D

02-04-2002, 12:18 PM
I don't know about that new members price. it sounds a bit low. the housers long-travels are 800 and i talked the the own of elka(he called me one morning while i was sleeping) and i was quoted 1000 for a good set of long travel shocks. as for the rear suspension kabd told you two good sources for that. I would try to get that axle asap. you might bend the axle with wheel spacers. i suggest a 250r axle set-up cause their stronger around the hubs.

02-04-2002, 02:07 PM
Well, I just spoke to a very helpful fellow at Elka (Martin was his name). I asked him to recommend a good outlet for package pricing with the houser arms and his shocks, and he sealed up a good price for me so I went ahead and ordered my shocks direct, and I'll just order the arms from wherever. I went with the SSD piggyback tripples up front with comp and rebound adj., their shock covers and a conversion for the rear shock, which I need to yank out and ship to him tomorrow morning. Total was right at $1300 for all the shocks. This also included some special order heavy springs for my weight.

I'll probably get the arms from Marcums, since he's got a good rep, free shipping, and I am ordering a cam/piston from him already, so maybe he can package that stuff up with a good-guy discount.

Rico, even with long travel and +2 you dont believe I'll HAVE to get the brake lines right now? That would be great, cuz I'mm gonna slide a little over the budget, so I have to cut corners wherever possible and slip in the little things later if I can.

I also decided not to do the chrome top arms for now, I can always get them chromed later if I really want to, but that will shave $75 off the price and help keep the wife from goin' in reverse.

Kabd, whats different about jumping with SSD/ZPS? I land like a sack of cement anyways, but do you have considerations that I need to keep in mind?

Thanks a bunch!

trx400ex
02-04-2002, 02:16 PM
i have plus 2 aarms with stock lines, you dont need them,,, however plus 2 plus 1 is what i reallllllly wished i would have went with you need lines for that... the stock lines are soft and will leave rubbermarks where they touch powdercoated aarms if not secured properly,,, im going with new lines soon

kabd69667
02-04-2002, 06:00 PM
Ok, right when you get your rear shock back put it on and then it'll need major adjusting. It's going to sit way to low. It will bottom out your frame right under your motor if you don't. Then you can make the fronts sit lower yet, there is a silver aluminum colored spacer in between the bottom shock mount and the red thing that the spring is on. That's what i did to mine. As long as you adjust the rear and fronts you'll love the shocks. Then right when you get on your quad your shocks will make a weird sound when the zps spring compresses. It'll sound like they're falling apart. It takes a while to get used to that. I don't know how to really put it in words but you can tell it jumps differently. The ssd will kind of in a cruel way teach you how ot jump with them. Good luck

Crypted1
02-04-2002, 06:12 PM
Wow I've been a way for a while, and all h*ll breaks loose. I'm sorry that you bought your shocks from Elka. I'm running a special on the Houser Longtravel arms and Elka Longtravel trips. for $1450. And yes elka can revalve your shocks for you as you loose weight. And I must say "Good Show Ol' Chap" on loosing weight. I'm running this special because I'm a new shop trying to make it. any one insterested mail me at FullThrottleMX@Hotmail.com:)

tinner
02-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Congrats! you got the go ahead....I know how it goes.Jim