PDA

View Full Version : cylinder problem...

Glamis400ex
10-03-2003, 05:37 PM
lets just say for chits and giggles that something happened to my cylinder, not the sleeve, the sleeve is fine... but the outside, the finned area... lets just say it was ruined.:ermm:

Can I press out the sleeve and put it into a new housing so I don't need to re-bore a fresh cylinder sleeve?

I know this is kinda a vague question...but can I do that??^^^

Glamis

Bill Fuller
10-03-2003, 05:39 PM
As long as it's a stock sleeve than I don't see why not.

Glamis400ex
10-03-2003, 05:50 PM
ok, cool, I thought so.

When I put in some new OEM studs, I had trouble getting them out and put the jug in the oven for like 10 minutes, I noticed the sleeve sliding in and out a little until it cooled.

Glamis

worm
10-03-2003, 06:36 PM
no when they get the sleeve out of your cylinde they bore it out and its ruined... right?

MIKE400EX
10-03-2003, 07:28 PM
Glamis,

Why do you think that the jug is ruined?

Warm it back up and push the sleeve back in. Keep some pressure on it until it cools. Have someone measure the bore to make sure it didn't go out of allowable tolerance (check size, taper & out of round). It will most likely be OK, maybe just a light hone if anything to bring it back.

How hot was that oven anyway?

Bill Fuller
10-04-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by worm
no when they get the sleeve out of your cylinde they bore it out and its ruined... right? WRONG....where do you get your info from? The sleeve is pressed out,as long as it's a stock cylinder (not a 440).If you don't know dont respond :confused2

Glamis400ex
10-04-2003, 03:14 PM
sent you a email on the low down Mike400ex.:(

Glamis

sleeveslave
10-06-2003, 02:38 PM
Unless you want to scar the cylinder or sleeve surface, you never want to "press" a sleeve to remove it. Even in situations where there is very little interference fit between the sleeve and the cylinder, heat is all you need.

Follow Mike400EX's instructions to try to re-insert the sleeve--and if the bore turns out ok, also be sure to check cylinder deck for level between the cylinder and the sleeve--you don't want one higher or lower than the other.

Northwest Sleeve
Tech Staff

Glamis400ex
10-06-2003, 05:18 PM
situation took another route.
Thanks everyone for your input.

Glamis

JOEX
10-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by sleeveslave
Unless you want to scar the cylinder or sleeve surface, you never want to "press" a sleeve to remove it. Even in situations where there is very little interference fit between the sleeve and the cylinder, heat is all you need.

Follow Mike400EX's instructions to try to re-insert the sleeve--and if the bore turns out ok, also be sure to check cylinder deck for level between the cylinder and the sleeve--you don't want one higher or lower than the other.

Northwest Sleeve
Tech Staff
Cool, a local motor person here:macho What kind of stuff do you do? If i'm ever able to hop up the motor, i'd like to do it locally. I'm in Oregon City.

Joe

Glamis400ex
10-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Hey JOEX,

Off topic here but...
I used to live in Molalla and Colton a few years back. My wife is from Colton...:p

Glamis

JOEX
10-06-2003, 07:23 PM
Small world!:eek:

I used to live live about 7 miles out side of Molalla, closer to Marquam. My friend lives in town and his dad lives way up Sawtell road. I spent many summers up there growing up. Well, still do:p
We made a track up there two summers ago. Did some riding in Colton too.

Joe

worm
10-07-2003, 01:21 PM
WRONG....where do you get your info from? The sleeve is pressed out,as long as it's a stock cylinder (not a 440).If you don't know dont respond
woh...whats up your as$ ? i said "right " at the end of my statement i didnt know... i was pretty much askign a question in my response..you need to chill