PDA

View Full Version : valve adjument

400woodsrider
10-03-2003, 03:41 PM
when your vavles are ticking it means that they are loose right? Because mine started to tick the other day and when I checked them with a feeler gauge they felt as if they were too tight:confused2

cals400ex
10-03-2003, 05:18 PM
your valves could make noise if they are out of adjustement. i assume you know the intake are .004 and exhaust are .005 with the stock cam. also, i assume you where at tdc on the compression stroke. if you are not on the compression stroke, your exhaust valves may be tight. try rotating the flywheel one revolution until you get back to the T mark if you were not on the compression stroke. you have to adjust your valves when your bike is cold, NOT after you have been riding. also, when the feeler guages goes in, it is suppose to be snug. the dealer told me that its adjusted correctly when it is somewhat hard to move the feeler guage.

Bill Fuller
10-03-2003, 05:37 PM
The ideal way to check with feeler gauges is to try the next size up ...if a .006 fits in than it's a .006,reset until you get the proper clearance.It has been my experiance that valves will tighten with time.

400woodsrider
10-03-2003, 09:16 PM
so it should be tight on the feeler gauge not just a slight drag

cals400ex
10-03-2003, 11:45 PM
yes, it should be a little snug. i would try to put the next size bigger in and if it goes in, you know the valves are too loose.