PDA

View Full Version : leaky carb..

400ex#18
10-03-2003, 11:59 AM
What could be the problem, my carb leaks...I have the gas off, and it leaks from the over flow, even after cleaning the float bowl a few times...

F-16Guy
10-03-2003, 12:44 PM
Take the float bowl off, remove the float and needle (attached to the float). Inspect the tip of the needle, it should have a black rubber tip that comes to a fairly sharp point. Now look at the seat (where the needle came out of), it should be clean and smooth, especially around the little hole where the rubber tip of the needle sits. If the tip of the needle and the seat aren't clean and well mated, when the float raises to shut off fuel, fuel will continue to run past the needle and out the overflow tube.

10-03-2003, 12:45 PM
make sure your drain screw is in all the way...:o

Jay300ex
10-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by F-16Guy
Take the float bowl off, remove the float and needle (attached to the float). Inspect the tip of the needle, it should have a black rubber tip that comes to a fairly sharp point. Now look at the seat (where the needle came out of), it should be clean and smooth, especially around the little hole where the rubber tip of the needle sits. If the tip of the needle and the seat aren't clean and well mated, when the float raises to shut off fuel, fuel will continue to run past the needle and out the overflow tube.

Make sure the needle doesn't stick either.

400ex#18
10-03-2003, 04:18 PM
thanks everyone....But one thing, the needle doesn't have rubber on it...I have had all that **** apart before, but it was about 2 weeks ago...