PDA

View Full Version : 2004 GNCC Opener in Texas?????

jlhughes750
10-03-2003, 11:52 AM
I was over a t the scene and a guy posted a link to some info that implied Jeff Russell was down in TX and approved a site for the opener. Thats different!!!!! and its supposed to be on Jan 31 -Feb 1................... HHHHMMMMM rumurs or not?????????

where in TX????????????

10-03-2003, 12:02 PM
:confused:

quadman21
10-03-2003, 12:36 PM
I just read the thead over at the scene and I sure hope it's not true. If it anin't broke, don't fix it! TX is too far away. If it's about the 18 wheelers form the factories they are expexting, than what about smaller tracks like Steele Creek? How are they going to get these rigs in there?

jlhughes750
10-03-2003, 12:42 PM
:confused: thats what i was thinkin

12gofast
10-03-2003, 02:38 PM
I believe Racer Productions has been forced to expand the series....They want it classified as a national series by the AMA and right now it is more like a regional series.

This will bring them more support from the AMA, the manufacturers, and sponsors.

10-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by 12gofast

This will bring them more support from the AMA, the manufacturers, and sponsors.

and cost them a ton of riders that can barely make it to all the rounds as it is...:mad: I can see them slowly migrating out west but jump straight to Texas is a little on the wild side i think...:confused: Maybe the stuff their smokin is in Texas:huh

jlhughes750
10-03-2003, 03:22 PM
ahhh that texas stuff is a lil harsh...too close to mexico!!! it must be the AMA thing not the smoke...

this is why were expanding our D6 schedule we'll reap the benefits of their lost riders!!!!

beyer05
10-04-2003, 04:46 AM
I wish we could get a GNC in Texas.:D

jlhughes750
10-04-2003, 06:30 AM
i really don't mind having one in TX, but then again i don't go to all of them. so i might just skip that round.

i can see how spreading this GNCC series around might thin it out a little. thats a good point. why not a GNCC west series, with the same rules and specs. then we'll west champs and east champs. plus when the ATV olympics comes around, or the 12 hours in Iowa,or similiar races, they'd be west and east rounds. that way the hardcore from each series will stand out.

Vtr_Racing
10-04-2003, 08:34 AM
Here is a link to that report. 2004 GNCC opener (http://www.texasoffroad.net/forum_php/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tchss_pits&Number=126832&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1) I dont know why they are changing it. I am glad to have a GNCC race in TX though. Also, they just added a WORCS race in Texas, Austin to be exact at the Cross Creek MX park is where that is going to be I think. The GNCC race, according to the report is in Gilmer Tx. close to Longview. I have never been there or heard of this place. Maybe somebody who has been there can give us some input?
I was looking around on the AMA and GNCC websites for the 2004 schedule and couldnt find anything.

ScooterX
10-05-2003, 07:05 PM
Prolly gonna be at Barnwell Mountain. It's not to far from me but I've never been there cause I'm not into trail riding really. I hear a lot of good things about it though, ofcourse I hear all those good things from drunk rednecks that walk up and talk to me when they see me w/ my bike in the back of my truck.

It is also rumored that there will be a National race in Texas starting in 2005 at Either Swan MX or Lake Whitney MX. They're gonna be changing up the line up for the nats in 05 and if one goes to Texas it'll more than likely be at Lake Whitney since it's more of a National level track than Swan and Whitney is already host to some BIG amature races. Cycle Ranch is already holding a 4-stroke national so it prolly won't be going there.

This is for the bikes though... I don't know if that applies to the quad GNC series.

ScooterX
10-05-2003, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by jlhughes750
why not a GNCC west series, with the same rules and specs. then we'll west champs and east champs.

Like the 125 SX series? Thats a good idea really. After a while when it gets a bit bigger, they could combine it and just have one big national series. The AMA is kind of retarded though. They split up the 125's in a East and West coast region and now that it's really popular and there's a big following, it's time for them to just combine it and make it one series like they do the 250's but the AMA isn't in any hurry to do that. But then when they want to expand the GNCC series, they just throw out another race further out west and try to get all the same people to go. They need to split it up and let it get a bit more popular and then combine it. It seems to me like the AMA and ATVA just get things started and then sit back and don't mess with it or "update" it for another 5 years. A lot can happen in 5 years and the ATVA and AMA need to try to do a little work and "keep up w/ the times." They seem really lazy to me.

Bonnie Cook
10-05-2003, 08:45 PM
Just talked to my dad, Buren Hamrick, on his way home from St. Clairsville, and he said that GNCC is always the first week of March, no changing now. My dad has been laying out the tracks with Dave Coombs long before Jeff, and now he works along with Jeff laying out all the tracks. That has to be misheard. But, he is calling Rita now and getting the scoop.

tprender
10-05-2003, 08:46 PM
Just for your info the GNCC is not run by the AMA. RacerX runs the whole show just incase you didn't know or notice that from going to the races. When Dave C set the series up in the early days he copied rithed it or something like that. they set there own schedule and then hand it to the AMA to be posted.
I did see the on Friday that The first race will be in Texas and it will also be a National Hare Scrambles just it is at LL. They will still go to Florida later. The schedule for next year is done for the GNCC races, did not get to see it. But, did see the schedule for the AMA Hare Scrambles for next year.
So, get your cowboy boots ready and have your quads done early.

Smokey
10-05-2003, 08:52 PM
I talked to Jeff Russell this weekend about this and he said that everyone better get ready to go to Texas . He said that they want to bring more new people to the sport and that he did hold them off on going to Ca. . The way I understand it it will be about like goign to Fl. ,same drive time . It is near a town called Longveiw , its about an hour or so west of Shrieveport ,La ....a NEW track You have to like new tracks , no ruts , not torn up before you start ....could end up being the best track of the year ...

ScooterX
10-05-2003, 10:03 PM
They hold XC races there for the WORCS series and some of the TCCRA races (Texas Cross Country Racing Association), and from what I understand, it's open to dirt bikes, ATV's, and Jeeps all the time. They closed it off for a horse ride this weekend;my mom entered that ride and said that that place was REALLY awesome. Like I said, I'm not a trail rider so I've never bothered to go there, even though it's practically right down the road from me, so I can't really give you guys that much helpful info about the place.

If any of you watch MotoWorld on ESPN, and you remember them covering a WORCS series race in Texas, that was the same place. So for those of you that saw it, that might give you an idea of what it's like. It looked pretty cool to me though. Maybe I'll run by there and take some pics and tell you all about it.

465Stroker
10-06-2003, 04:46 AM
Just checked drive times from PA - Longview, TX - 24 Hours or Daytona Beach, Fl (Good midway point in FL) 16 Hours. So we are looking at least an 8 hour longer drive...:(
Racer Productions is going to need to start helping out the Pro and Amatuers racers more with maybe more time between rounds, working with Hotels to book better rates (just booked the Holiday Inn in Indiana - $135.00 a night!! - they said they knew there was a race and a crafts fair in the area so they increased rates), Contingency money - actual cash back, Gas card (like SX series), etc.
I sure hope they break the news soon - good or bad - on what they are doing so we can all plan accordingly. I just cannot figure out if they are actually looking to increase racer turnout or decrease it...

quadman21
10-06-2003, 04:57 AM
I'm not sure of what they are thinking. There is already a west coast off road series WORCS. Maybe they want to compete with that and truly be the number one off road series as they advertise? To me and my way of thinking, it should't matter. GNCC riders are loyal and have followed the series for years and in some cases a generation. So why try to get new riders now? I say leave it like it is but search for new tracks on the east coast. Another thought I have about this is Factory support. Maybe this factory support will end up being a double edged sword. What I mean by this is that i don't want the GNCC to become a SX series where is nearly impossible for the average rider to compete in it. I'm not saying it will, but it's a thought.

GNCCracer
10-06-2003, 07:09 AM
I know exactly what you mean Rick. A 24 hr drive for a $3.00 piece of wood. Something doesn't add up there. GNCC racing is an east coast series, so keep it on the east coast Racer Production's, or you are going to loose alot of your core racing people.

gncc571
10-06-2003, 07:13 AM
I would like to know what they are planning on doing about parking if they get a increase in rider turn out.This weekend was getting pretty crowded buy Saturday afternoon.Theres not many tracks on the schedule now that has enough room for all the quad riders and bike riders(when they start coming in on Sat. afternoon).

Johnny_G
10-06-2003, 10:46 AM
I'm not happy about the 24HR drive either...thats a long arse drive...but I will be there If Racer productions decides thats what's best for GNCC Then I'm ALL IN!!!!!!!!!!

Racer Productions has made GNCC the premeir ATV series in the world..and I thin they will contiue to make decisions that will make things better!!!!!!!

As far as amatures go...use that as one of your 4 throw-aways!

monkeyboy
10-06-2003, 11:08 AM
c u gurls darre:cool:

i b att da HNF jonnny C tennt:macho

popo
10-06-2003, 01:05 PM
The real shocker is gonna be, where is the next race a week later? is it Georgia, which would be another 10 hrs back east or back down to Florida....

I can say one thing. The riders meeting will be interesting after the awards dinner.

Now will have to prep our bikes against armadilla' s and catus needles, cow pooop tooo!

Wingnut
10-06-2003, 02:54 PM
Maybe Loretta Lynns will be round two. It's kind of on the way home.:confused:

79400ex
10-06-2003, 03:38 PM
what about a race in Missouri, on the way home. closer to the east coast. and the grip about miles and time on the road , the people from the midwest average 6 to 12 hours on the road to come the races on the east coast. so stop gripping about it. and deal with it.

Bad Habit
10-06-2003, 03:48 PM
I'm gonna have a different view than most on this and I'll get my flame suit on now. Although, this is not meant to flame or instigate anything, I'm just giving another viewpoint.

I see this as a good thing to grow the sport to a new level. Honestly, how can it be a "national" series if it doesn't go west of the Mississippi? Now I understand that it was started back east and the riders out there have been the ones that have made it as successful as it is, so I can understand why people would want to keep it close to themselves. But, you guys are seeing what someone like me is confronted with when we would like to run in a national series event. It's 8 hours minimum from my particular location. I'm sure that they are doing it in hopes of finding a new untapped area that will draw in huge numbers of riders. Huge number of participants equals huge dollars, and that is what the factories look at as well. As someone pointed out, I think the east/west series makes a lot of sense. That may be the best way to grow it slowly as opposed to stretching it out too thin.

joedirt
10-06-2003, 05:58 PM
HMMM. I'm broke now. WOW I'm going to be in real debt goning to places like TX for get about my job . why not north like NY MI. Readin this turns my crank

ex kid
10-06-2003, 06:35 PM
when half the normal rider turnout doesnt show up my guess is race productions might smartin up. dirt u got a pm.

12gofast
10-06-2003, 06:44 PM
the series must expand to grow and keep the sponsors interested. To draw a major sponsor such as Parts Unlimited they must race in the largest markets in the country.
Texas offers one if not the largest offroad market in the US....its a no brainer for the series and sponsors....if the regulars dont show up there will be plenty of locals.

joedirt
10-06-2003, 06:47 PM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

IS that all they see

joedirt
10-06-2003, 06:51 PM
I may be getting a new hobby STRIP CLUB CRITIC.

tprender
10-06-2003, 07:08 PM
Is it GNCC

or

Is it GECC?

jcv400ex
10-07-2003, 05:56 AM
I agree with the majority. Yes, it would be great to have like a 30+ race schedule like Nascar or something and go all over the world. But who can afford to do it? The pro teams will even have trouble with this. Most of them return home and report to work on Monday morning. If Racer Productions wants to expand the series, then they better snuff up and start paying people more. A typical race weekend is already in the $500-600 dollar range and thats shutting down your shop on Friday or taking a vacation day from your job.

But, maybe they have a reason for this, maybe a potential sponsor wants to see what the reaction will be if there was a race in Texas. I dunno, I haven't seen Racer Prod. make too many dumb decisions, but they better be up front with the racing public about their decision.

jlhughes750
10-07-2003, 07:30 AM
thats why i love the PA state harescramble championship!!!close to home and about tO get bigger!!!

jshtex
10-07-2003, 03:23 PM
Man the stars are lining up now.....

My son races XC in the ATVCCS series here in Texas. And he has always wanted to run a GNCC event.

This decision may have more to do with bikes than quads. There are several BIG XC racing associations in Texas and Oklahoma but they are primarily two wheelers.

At any rate if anyone wants info about the area (I live in Longview) or the proposed spot (barnwell mountain) I will try to help, just shoot me a pm.

Vtr_Racing
10-07-2003, 09:58 PM
jshtex ill be out there this weekend in Columbus Tx. See you there.

I think the above post hit it right on the head. This has more to do with motorcycles than the ATV`s.

gncc571
10-08-2003, 07:00 AM
Originally posted by Vtr_Racing
jshtex
I think the above post hit it right on the head. This has more to do with motorcycles than the ATV`s.

Don't it always!

jshtex
10-08-2003, 07:22 AM
Now don't get me wrong there are tons of ATVs around NE Texas. Heck you can't go a mile around here without seeing a trailer with two or three on it. We have four diferent ATV parks within 30 minutes of Longview. So there is the potential to draw alot of new people. But on the other side, probably 75% or more are great big 4X4's with lift kits, snorkles, and 28" tires . Highlifter in Shreveport (60 miles away) is probably the meca for mudders. :rolleyes:

VTR_Racing... I have a Red Chevy ext cab truck, a red trailer, and both my quads are red (450s and 400ex) stop by and say hi.
Doh, I just remembered I am riding with someone else. I think we will be pulling a car trailer with 3 quads and a bike, but I don't know for sure. My son is #703, and the guy we are going with is a blue raptor #103. What class are you running?

Vtr_Racing
10-08-2003, 03:37 PM
I just recently got back into riding/racing. I raced from the early 80s through 1993. Racing the Score series, District 37/38, Casey Folks early races and was also racing a Class 5/1600 volkswagon. I can say that travel was a major expense so I can empathize with those with travel issues. Hotels and food etc....Getting back to work to pay the bills. Towing a trailer, fuel for at 9 to 16 miles per gallon. Than racing fuel at 5 to6 dollars a gallon. Figure in a 4 gallon tank and you can squeeze about 70 miles per tank and you get the picture on fuel. Than factor in tires and spare parts and the list goes on, prep time etc....I am using the example of desert racing here. Most of the races we did were were 150 to 1000 miles. So the expense is quite a bit. I race mostly in Calif, Nev,Ariz, Baja and have made the trek from Tx many times. I am fortunate enough to have had 2 bikes most of the time. One in Ca and the other in TX so I dont have to haul it around. I pick it up from my parents house or whomever is prepping it at the time. I am lucky in that respect to be able to do that. Traveling does get very old though, especially when you have to leave the wife and kids behind. I guess my point is that whatever type of racing we do there is usually somebody that will have to drive or travel somewhere. It just depends how much you love to race. I am going to try to make the race in Longview and race in one of the "old men" classes, LOL. I hope to meet you guys up there and bang some bars.......

jshtex....will be running in the vet class a 250r with white plastic and red seat...I think I should have nbr 827????

quadman21
10-09-2003, 04:53 AM
http://********.com/this-just-in/atvarules-03.htm

Maybe this will shed some light. This is a link to an article over at the scene that outlines some proposed and some approved ATVA ideas for 2004.

03GNCC270
10-10-2003, 05:45 PM
look at the gncc website they have a tenative schedule listing texas as the first round. 14 races one month between texas and florida. who is going to make the trip just to texas? I know i will not be there.

660bigdaddy
10-10-2003, 09:33 PM
what state is TBA , and why are we racing there so many times?:huh
j/k
:D

LaegerTRX250R
10-13-2003, 07:07 AM
Don't get me wrong.......I think Racer Productions have done a great job over the years promoting and getting good places to hold races, but Texas!!!!.......GNCC Racing was started in Southern Pa & West Virginia......I dont have a problem traveling south to NC, SC & TN when it is cold and snowy up north, but who can afford 2 trips south........not I. The Fla & Ga trip is cool because you can either come home or stay and get a 2 for 1 race. I think the races need to get tougher and more technical like they used to be. Anyone can go fast in a field. We need to see more woods with hills, creeks, rocks........Like it used to be. My favorite tracks this year were the Wisp & Rausch Creek...both tough and technical. I don't think 90% of the entries should be able to finish. Bring the series back to the roots where it belongs. I'm near the end of my career, but there are great riders coming up thru the ranks from the Northeast. And one last thing, I'm glad Honda, Yamaha, Suzuki, Kaw, Cannondale & even Artic Cat are making cool Quads, but the 250R is still the BEST QUAD ever made and still can win most classes. The only reason the Pros are switching over is the support or possible support or support they are getting. If you have a race ready 250R, why change. It will cost you over 10,000 to get the new 4 stroke GNCC race ready. I'm not switching.

Blaine Shick
GNCC National #30
250A

rs169300
10-13-2003, 10:16 AM
you wont see me near texas either. and why is there an extra race this year.

12gofast
10-13-2003, 01:53 PM
I am with you Blaine...It needs to be way more techinical and a challenge. Some of the races are boring because of so much open area and grass tracks.
If you put in a tough ride to pass someone in the woods and you come out to 2 miles in the open and they pass you back it is disheartening.
It will never get back to its roots....Racer Productions needs the money.

That is why some of the outlaw series are becoming bigger.
Check out the PK Offroad series in WV and OH.

www.kontzadventures.comPK Offroad (http://www.koontzadventures.com)

gncc571
10-13-2003, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by 12gofast
I am with you Blaine...It needs to be way more techinical and a challenge. Some of the races are boring because of so much open area and grass tracks.
If you put in a tough ride to pass someone in the woods and you come out to 2 miles in the open and they pass you back it is disheartening.
It will never get back to its roots....Racer Productions needs the money.

That is why some of the outlaw series are becoming bigger.
Check out the PK Offroad series in WV and OH.

www.kontzadventures.comPK Offroad (http://www.koontzadventures.com)
TV ruins everything!
Don't get me wrong I'm glad its on tv, but thats why you have so many "grass tracks" sections in a course, its easier for the film crew to set one camera in a field than it is to chase someone through the woods.If you think about it the tracks started getting less techinical when it got put on TV.

12gofast
10-13-2003, 05:18 PM
Haven't seen it on TV yet this year!!!!

tprender
10-13-2003, 06:30 PM
I think that the reason that the tracks are getting wider is because of the numbers and the types of quads that are being races in the GNCC races compared a local race. With all of the utitily quads that track has to be wider for them. Most local races will only have just a few and they are lucky to finish because of the narrow track. 10 to 15 years ago the tracks were only 6-8 miles long, but with the number of quads at a national the track has to be over 8 miles because of the number of riders.
If you don't want to go to a race that is the reason that there are throw outs.

Ryan
10-13-2003, 06:56 PM
Originally posted by quadman21
http://********.com/this-just-in/atvarules-03.htm

Maybe this will shed some light. This is a link to an article over at the scene that outlines some proposed and some approved ATVA ideas for 2004.

The GNCC series is ran by Racer Productions, not the ATVA.

12gofast
10-14-2003, 12:39 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
The GNCC series is ran by Racer Productions, not the ATVA.

It is run by racer productions but it is governed by the AMA/ATVA and must follow their rules to be recognized as an AMA/ATVA series.

tprender
10-14-2003, 06:55 AM
If they want to change a rule all that racer has to do is put in writing there chages and sent it into the AMA ahead of time and then they can do what they want. A good example of this is the production class rule. The AMA has a limit of 450, but racer runs it open. Another is there diffition of stock.
We are getting a little off the topic .

240GNCC400
10-15-2003, 02:05 PM
since they are adding a race (with most people who run the majority of the series skipping it) are they gonna give us another class throw-away?
hope all you guys in texas finish top 20 in all the classes so it doesnt mess up the points next year.

Vtr_Racing
10-16-2003, 11:03 PM
I have posted a few topics on this and I think it needs to be revisited by you guys who are the racers. The only way to change rules, in anything, is as a group. Not one person, but as one unit. Now keep in mind, your sponsers. The ones that really help you guys pay the bills. They want as much bang for their buck, IE exposure....Now as far as the rules go, you guys should start a riders "union" of some sort. There you can be as one and bargain with the promotors for what you want. I have suggested making up a group that could be called "Pro Quad" or something and you can get the sponsers to put up money or some sort of payback and have your own series with whatever races you like and what ever points system the YOU set up. You pay "X" amount to belong to this group and that goes into the points fund for the year. However much is up to you? Its kinda like the pro truck series that Ivan Stewart has. Now you "the riders" are the reason that people come out to watch this stuff and also get exposure for these companies. If you want to change the rules for the better, you need to do it as a group....

660bigdaddy
10-18-2003, 02:24 PM
to anyone looking for tougher tracks, try out a wnyoa series event. tight tough nasty tracks. and a 14 race series.
we run after the bikes making the off cambers even worse. if your ever in central n.y. or northern p.a, look us up. worth the drive.

cheetah
10-18-2003, 09:49 PM
I plan on racing my first year next year and as many of the races as I can. I have followed the GNCC though over the past couple of years. A while back we all said we want to see the sport grow as big as the bikes and be able to make a living at the pro level and we all thought factory sponsorship was a decade away at best. Well now factories are about to step it up and to grow they must expand. It is bad for the average racer I agree. What we need if the GNCC is going to get this much bigger is maybe 3 or 4 regional series that amatuers can race to make it to the bigger division. Anyways I'll probably make Texas, but only because Ky is almost a central location to all of them.