PDA

View Full Version : what carb?

Pappy
10-03-2003, 07:43 AM
well im gonna have ta order a carb if stock wont cut it with this 440. baldwin recommended a fcr....but i aint never owned one of them. whats the scoop on them....hard to adjust? anything other then the carb needed? tell me what ya think

10-03-2003, 07:46 AM
I got a sparks racing modified stock carb I'll sell ya for a dam good price....:D

FCR39 and order the new adjusting screw and put it in before you even put the carb in the quad..:cool:

Pappy
10-03-2003, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by Rico
I got a sparks racing modified stock carb I'll sell ya for a dam good price....:D

i would wash your hands after you recieve that carb:mad: :blah:

Colby@C&DRacing
10-03-2003, 08:01 AM
I have had the most luck with the fcr carbs. Easy to tune and they make a big horse power gain. I recommend getting the fuel screw. All the fcr carbs I sell leaves here prejetted and have the fcr screw installed

Bad Habit
10-03-2003, 08:34 AM
I'd give a big thumbs up for the FCR. When I built my 416 I used the stock carb and it ran really good. After about 3 months, I added the FCR. Somewhat to my surprise, it ran quite a bit better, more improvment than I thought it would be. I don't think they're any harder to adjust/jet than any other carb.

kgbg
10-03-2003, 09:02 AM
FCR: Easier to jet than stock. Easier to change needle, easier to change screws (fuel, air is a pain to change). Get Colby's fuel screw and do a few trail runs, your jetted good. The throtle response is amazing, and the top end keeps on going!
Highly Recommended.

YZROOSTINYA
10-03-2003, 09:04 AM
how much gain for the FCR.

as much as the 416 did?

10-03-2003, 09:11 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA

as much as the 416 did?

I believe so...:eek:

Bad Habit
10-03-2003, 10:31 AM

as much as the 416 did?

I don't think it was as much as the 416 rebuild, but it was still impressive. Especially when you compare pricing.
Parts and machine work for motor=$800
FCR carb=$450 (ya I think I got porked)

Dollar for dollar, the FCR has a better power gain.

YZROOSTINYA
10-03-2003, 11:51 AM
I already have a 416, I want to add the carb. I am curious if the gain you felt from the carb was the equivlant from going stock 400 to the 416 if that makes sense.

mbiigambler
10-03-2003, 01:12 PM
I have the FCR 39MM and love it, with 10.5:1 stock bore high compression piston and xr cam. I would say it was like doubling the power i gain from the cam and piston.

The carb is very easy to adjust the needle. I have the fuel screw screw adjuster too.

My bike definitely rev's quickers and it will 4th and 5th gear much stronger.

After putting my carb on and when I was adjusting it, I was doing to some drag racing and I kept getting this popping when shifting through the gears. It took me a while to figure out I had to shift much faster with the carb and I ended up changing my gearing to accomodate the power.

Quadfather
10-03-2003, 01:51 PM
What's wrong with the Sparks modded carb? I bought an extra stock carb to be bored, and I figured I'd have Sparks do it? Did they fubar it or something? Let us know.

mbiigambler
10-03-2003, 02:46 PM
I don't think anything is wrong with it. It just isn't going to get you the performance of the FCR. Most people were/are doing as a cheaper alternative to the FCR (with less performance also).

BTW I'll sell you my FCR with cable, fuel aduster screw installed, and some extra jets $325 shipped to your door!

Bad Habit
10-03-2003, 06:13 PM
I already have a 416, I want to add the carb. I am curious if the gain you felt from the carb was the equivlant from going stock 400 to the 416 if that makes sense.

IMO, no it's not the same increase. For the sake of argument, let me put it in these terms. On a seat-of-the-pants-feel scale of 1 to 10;
Going from stock 400 to 416 with cam and headwork would be a 10
Adding FCR to worked 416 would be about a 7

Does that help;)

JD400exrider
10-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Yellow416ex
I'd give a big thumbs up for the FCR. When I built my 416 I used the stock carb and it ran really good. After about 3 months, I added the FCR. Somewhat to my surprise, it ran quite a bit better, more improvment than I thought it would be. I don't think they're any harder to adjust/jet than any other carb.

I did the same thing. It might not be as close as the 416 as far as power build but sure feels close. It just revs better, much better throttle response and she keeps pulling. You won't be disapointed. The fuel screw is a nice add also. Very easy to fine tune. The only draw back i can see with the fuel screw is if and when you change the main jet you have to pull the fuel screw all the way out to get that large nut off, therefore removing the carb off the bike is easier. Colby has a good price on them including the screw.

Chef
10-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Get a FCR41 with a add on intake bell that has a air splitter in it. Makes it have great sub half throttle response. It stops the venturi effect and makes it just suck air straight. You have to do some stretching and enlargening of the intake boot, and makes the air box mount just about an inch short of the mount, but its an awesome carb!

pnut420
10-03-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by Chef
Get a FCR41 with a add on intake bell that has a air splitter in it. Makes it have great sub half throttle response. It stops the venturi effect and makes it just suck air straight. You have to do some stretching and enlargening of the intake boot, and makes the air box mount just about an inch short of the mount, but its an awesome carb!

Im going to be running a 426, 11:1, porting, X-6 exhuast, etc, would it really be worth getting a 41MM with the air splitter than just getting a 39MM and what is the price difference?

:confused:

10-04-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by Quadfather
What's wrong with the Sparks modded carb? I bought an extra stock carb to be bored, and I figured I'd have Sparks do it? Did they fubar it or something? Let us know.

There's nothing wrong with the sparks carb. It was supposed ta be Kenny's and I got to it first...:D HE's gettin a FCR anyway....:macho

AlaskaSpeed
10-04-2003, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by Rico
There's nothing wrong with the sparks carb. It was supposed ta be Kenny's and I got to it first...:D HE's gettin a FCR anyway....:macho

Rico....IM me on AIM....

FCR39.....way easy to work with and very responsive............JIM

10-04-2003, 07:48 AM
How do you guys feel about an FCR39 before any other engine mods like exhaust, airfilter, cam, piston, etc? And what about with just a full pipe, filter and EHS lid? Do you need to have engine work done to really get a good difference? Thanks

10-04-2003, 08:25 AM
im going with the stock bored out carb just because i dont feel like shoving out $450 for a FCR 39mm

Pappy
10-06-2003, 08:04 AM
carb is ordered...ill let ya know how it feels in a week or so:D

Bad Habit
10-06-2003, 08:49 AM
Did you get the 39 or 41?

Pappy
10-06-2003, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by Yellow416ex
Did you get the 39 or 41?

39mm with all the other parts needed:cool:

harlen has a 40fcr but i never hear much about them on a 400ex...so ill stick with what i know will work i reckon

Bad Habit
10-06-2003, 09:29 AM
One thing I had to do with mine was shim up the back of the gas tank. The top cover of the carb has a cap screw head that the tank wants to set on. I didn't see any benefit to having a hole in the bottom of my tank,:p so I cut some new bases for the back of the tank out of 1/2" solid rubber. It kicks the front of the seat up a tad, but that's a easy trade off.