PDA

View Full Version : plastic polish? grease/dirt cleaner?

willjoe86
10-02-2003, 05:37 PM
Is there an alternative to Plasic Renew? I tried it but its a pain in the neck and it peels off. I was thinking about maybe using a rotating polisher with polishing paste or something? Anyone ever tried anything like this?

Also, what is a good cleaner for grease and dirt buildup on my 250x? Whats good to use that you spray on the engine/frame and rinse it off, instead of scrubbing the grease and grime off?
thanks
Will

ReconRider25
10-02-2003, 06:00 PM
engine degreaser?

10-02-2003, 06:31 PM
i use this engine degreaser stuff fromwalmart& it works great..only like $0.57 a can :eek2: very cheap

zfire_28
10-03-2003, 01:07 AM
plastic renew blows!!! future floor wax shines em up nice;)

dirtmomma
10-03-2003, 08:22 AM
Well as for the degreaser I started using Simple Green straight & it works great plus it's not hard on the enviroment, NOW as for the plastics, I just did mine, well am still in the process, what I did was took 100 grit paper on our electric palm sander (I had pretty deep scratches & thick clear coat)after fighting w/ the old clear coat & took it off w/ thinner, then I went to 320 wet/dry paper,then went to 1000 grit wet/dry to finish it. After cleaning it up w/ laquer thinner I then sprayed w/ clear coat paint. It is looking REALLY good, granted it's not smooth smooth like factory but the scratches are gone & it's shiny:cool:

As for the cleaning of plastic, we use laquer thinner on our blaster it does a good job of getting the dirt out of the cracks & what not.

good luck, I'll be posting pics once the plasics are ALL done!!

RoadkillerRyan
10-03-2003, 07:16 PM
Originally posted by dirtmomma
Well as for the degreaser I started using Simple Green straight & it works great plus it's not hard on the enviroment, NOW as for the plastics, I just did mine, well am still in the process, what I did was took 100 grit paper on our electric palm sander (I had pretty deep scratches & thick clear coat)after fighting w/ the old clear coat & took it off w/ thinner, then I went to 320 wet/dry paper,then went to 1000 grit wet/dry to finish it. After cleaning it up w/ laquer thinner I then sprayed w/ clear coat paint. It is looking REALLY good, granted it's not smooth smooth like factory but the scratches are gone & it's shiny:cool:

As for the cleaning of plastic, we use laquer thinner on our blaster it does a good job of getting the dirt out of the cracks & what not.

good luck, I'll be posting pics once the plasics are ALL done!!

i used that plastic renew stuff and to does an OK job but there is fade marks on the plastic where i used the 320 and 220 sandpaper and i used the 400 to to get it off but its doesnt work. how do i fix this?
i am going out and i will get 100 and 1000 grit sand papers.
what will fix the fade lookin?

dirtmomma
10-04-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by RoadkillerRyan
i used that plastic renew stuff and to does an OK job but there is fade marks on the plastic where i used the 320 and 220 sandpaper and i used the 400 to to get it off but its doesnt work. how do i fix this?
i am going out and i will get 100 and 1000 grit sand papers.
what will fix the fade lookin?

Well as for the faded look try using Mop n glo or clear coat spray to make it shiny?? I don't know, I guess if your really desperate you could get some paint & paint it I don't know how good that would turn out though, Good Luck:)

redneck440
10-12-2003, 07:45 PM
for the degreaser i use this stuff called purple cleaner, its the best stuff i found yet

hondarider2006
10-19-2003, 01:50 AM
here is a good thread on keeping your quad clean.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74191