PDA

View Full Version : Whats the Best Paddle for the money for a 400 ex

JD400exrider
10-02-2003, 12:20 PM
Planning my first trip to sand mountain in November.

I need to get some paddles. What size ? How many paddles ? What brand. I won't be going to the sand allot maybe two times a year. I hear the angled ones are better for turning. I am running stock gearing with the mods shown below in my sig.
Is it worth getting some shark fins for the front or will the
stockers work OK

Need some tips.

Thanks for the help

zephead400ex
10-02-2003, 03:50 PM
Whats up man? You have heard correctly, V-shaped paddles aid in turning, and aid a lot might I add. I currently run Kenda Gecko's...which are not the best paddle. For the mods you run, I would bet something like a 9 paddle Hauler, which are straight cu would be good. 8 paddle Haulers are good for a stock setup. Turning should be fine if you did run the 9 paddle haulers b/c of your engine mods. Shark fins on the front will definitley help with the "gliding" motion across the sand. I have stock tires that I run in the sand which do ok, but fins are in store for me!

Hope this helps...sand virgin!:blah:

peace

Glamis400ex
10-02-2003, 05:28 PM
For only 2 trips a year, I would buy the Sand Sharks, best for the money hands down. They are V paddle also. Look on EBAY, you can find them cheap with rims.

Stay with your stock fronts, they actually do pretty well in the sand.

Glamis

airheadedduner
10-02-2003, 11:49 PM
Sand sharks or sand devils. Cheap, durable, and work decently.

400exride.red
10-04-2003, 03:01 PM
on my 400 i went w hauler 8 paddles and itp t9s good light weight package and hooks up real well i would recommend when you gett them get tubes in them when you buy them i had big problems with losing air preasure over a week of riden on my vacation too coos bay putt tubes in no more problems. Before ya go i would buy a 14 t front sprocket and take it w you helped me a bunch in sand.
As far as fronts go i run my stock tires seems too work ok i wanna try buffs or mohawks just too see, butt first time stock tires will work for steering

JD400exrider
10-07-2003, 10:54 PM
Thanks guys. Going to try and find some sand sharks. Stock tire size ? or different size. I will put my worn stock tires and rims back on the front.

Glammis are you running a 14 tooth or stock geering with your mods.

Glamis400ex
10-08-2003, 06:00 AM
I have stock right now. It seemed to wind out to fast for me with stock. I haven't run in the sand yet, so I may gear down to a 36 or 37. I also weight 225 pounds

Glamis

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-08-2003, 09:40 AM
I would agree with the sand sharks for an inexpensive good paddle. this is what I have had for 2 years I am thinking about running the new sand stars :D

QuadJunkies
10-08-2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I would agree with the sand sharks for an inexpensive good paddle. this is what I have had for 2 years I am thinking about running the new sand stars :D I agree .Or if you go with a Straight paddle, you might want to check out the Turblo Paddles . They are a GREAT tire I swear by them and they are only 56.95 a tire!

JD400exrider
10-15-2003, 11:46 PM
I know for drag racing the straight paddle is better. For all around riding, climbing and some dragging is the angled paddles better.

Straight paddle ?

Angled paddle ?

QuadJunkies
10-16-2003, 12:16 AM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I know for drag racing the straight paddle is better. For all around riding, climbing and some dragging is the angled paddles better.

Straight paddle ?

Angled paddle ? WEll, my preference is still a straight paddle, I like to climb hills and a V paddle is more of a fun slidin tire they will get you areound fine, but if you plan on climbing anything too serious, I would stick with a straight paddle.....;)

airheadedduner
10-16-2003, 11:22 AM
The only difference I can feel between angled/straight paddles is that the anlgled hook up better out of corners, otherwise they feel and handle the same.

JD400exrider
10-28-2003, 12:41 AM
Well i am going to order some paddles in the next day. I have narrowed it down to these All 20x11x10

Sand Sharks
Sand Skate II
Rooster V Blade (I think they are made from maxxis)
Skat Trak Edge

I am leaning towards the sand skate II on 160 wheels

What do you think. I don't mind putting out a little more if it helps hooking up better. The sand skate II to tall ?

Is there a big difference between sand skate II and sand sharks

Thanks everyone

dariusld
10-28-2003, 05:49 AM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
I am leaning towards the sand skate II on 160 wheels

If I was you, this is what I would do. If money wasn't a factor and if you were going to be using them more I would get the Skat Trak. In my opinion, the Sand Skates are a better quality tire than the Sand Shark. And they look lighter, I don't know if they actually are though.

Dune Surfer
10-28-2003, 09:28 AM
Get the sharks on douglas 160's. also I run the Mohawks on the front. Get a wider offset than stock to make it more stable in the sand and I recomend a smaller counter sprocket to help you climb. I have one you can have for free if you pay shipping.

JD400exrider
10-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Tony thanks for the counter sprocket offer. I have a 14 tooth sitting on the shelf.

Dune Surfer
10-29-2003, 09:32 AM
No problem:)

wilkin250r
10-29-2003, 12:41 PM
The angled "V" shaped paddles help with the sideways bite. With straight paddles, your back end will slide easier. In the corners, the "V" paddles will keep you back end from getting loose, and will REALLY help you if ever are heading across a hill, rather than up it.

So, straight paddles give you the best foward traction. "V" paddles still give you really good foward traction, but much better sideways traction.