PDA

View Full Version : finding TDC with advance key installed?

brian400ex
10-02-2003, 10:36 AM
With this key installed how do i get the engine to TDC for adjusting the valves? Can i just make a new mark on the flywheel or is it more complicated than that? How would you go about getting TDC through the spark plug hole?

Thanks
Brian

wyndzer
10-02-2003, 10:58 AM
You can take the spark plug out and stick something in the hole and turn the flywheel until you get TDC(you will feel the piston pushing up on what you stick in there). TDC on my 400 w/ a key was when the T mark was just at the left side of the inspection hole.

UglyMotha™
10-02-2003, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by wyndzer
You can take the spark plug out and stick something in the hole and turn the flywheel until you get TDC(you will feel the piston pushing up on what you stick in there). TDC on my 400 w/ a key was when the T mark was just at the left side of the inspection hole.

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif

yup what stupid said it's just a hair past the tdc mark on the flywheel just pop the caps and when all the rocker arms are loose then you'll know ya have it then i took and engraver and put another mark on the flywheel :blah:

brian400ex
10-02-2003, 11:20 AM
Could you see the "T" mark still or was it too far to the left of the inspection hole? Thanks for the info guys.

UglyMotha™
10-02-2003, 11:40 AM
i'm pretty sure you can still see it, it not rotated to much, only 6 degrees which isn't all that much

10-02-2003, 12:18 PM
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif

Bad Habit
10-02-2003, 01:58 PM
The top of the "T" will line up with the edge of the inspection hole, not with the mark in the center of the hole.

wyndzer
10-02-2003, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by Yellow416ex
The top of the "T" will line up with the edge of the inspection hole, not with the mark in the center of the hole.

Yep, that's what I meant.

Bad Habit
10-02-2003, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by wyndzer
Yep, that's what I meant.

Oh ya, my bad. I didn't see that part of your reply:o
Guess I should try reading more than the first sentence.:p

mikey726
10-03-2003, 02:28 PM
If you haven't installed the key yet when you do you will see a small pointer on the engine case that lines up with the TDC mark. If you put the new key in with it still at TDC, you can use that pointer to make a new mark.

chad502ex
10-03-2003, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by brian400ex
With this key installed how do i get the engine to TDC for adjusting the valves? Can i just make a new mark on the flywheel or is it more complicated than that? How would you go about getting TDC through the spark plug hole?

Thanks
Brian

hey Brian, I can tell you that when I had my 502 torn down I measured exactly where 6 degree advance was,...... Rotate the "T" so that the upper horizontal line of the flywheel "T" is positioned on the left side of the flywheel timing sight hole. You can take my word for it, or buy a flywheel degree wheel and measure it for yourself. Hope this helps.

:)

Chad502EX.com