PDA

View Full Version : Coral Pink Sand Dunes

A Family of 4
10-01-2003, 09:09 PM
Going for our first time next month and looking for some riding info.... dunes and surrounding trails.

Also...about jetting.....any good recommendations? My '02 400ex is bone stock.

Thanks!

Sandgod4
10-01-2003, 09:30 PM
I think they came w/ 145 mains. Leave it stock then. I haven't been there. It's at 6000ft..

F-16Guy
10-02-2003, 06:17 PM
Yeah, it's pretty high. Stock is a 148. Leave the stock jet in and take off the airbox lid or drop to a 146. You can either camp in the improved camp area or the dirt parking lot. If you're doing the family thing, I recommend the improved area. The bathrooms are the cleanest I've ever seen at a camp area, they have nice showers, and there are quiet hours (I think 10:00pm to 9:00am, but they may end them earlier in the morning since I was there last). The dunes are great. There is a big open stretch of dunes that runs on an uphill slant. Each end of the open area turns into trails. The top turns into open trails with lots of cool hills (some pretty big-- my stock 400 couldn't make a couple). At the bottom, the trails are a little more flat and wooded, getting tighter the farther down you go. There's also a cool single-track trail that goes from the top of the dunes to the bottom, with lots of s-curves, berms, and whoops. As you enter the dunes from the parking lot, that trail is on the far side of the dunes. That place is a lot of fun, but if you have young kids or dogs WATCH FOR SCORPIONS! There were a lot of them last time I was there. They like to hide under tents, and anything else you put down on the sand. Other than that, it's great! Have fun!

A Family of 4
10-03-2003, 04:50 PM
Thanks for the help about the CP's! We're really excited about experiencing something completely different from Glamis. I'm looking forward to being able to ride around pine trees instead of that milkvetch plant......

Thank you too for the info regarding jetting....I hope it wasn't too painful to answer "another jetting questiong". My hubby has rode at sea level for the better part of his life and we're not taking his bike....only mine and our son's, so my homework was to find out what it needed. ;)

We're camping at the State Park (so I assume that's the improved area?) I heard the quiet time was strictly enforced, as well as all the other rules. That shouldn't be too much a problem, we've gotten used to it at Glamis....

I've taken notes and can't wait to check out those trails you've talked about. I think our oldest will have a blast riding in that trail from the top to the bottom!

Thanks again!

F-16Guy
10-04-2003, 04:48 PM
My pleasure. You guys will really enjoy it. The quiet hours sound like kind of a drag, but it's actually pretty nice to have a couple of hours at night without everyone ripping by your camp spot (not to mention the good night's sleep!). Don't take the jetting thing wrong. I am more than willing to help out with a legitimate question, but a lot of people post the same question over and over again. If I were you, I'd try the stock main jet with no airbox lid. The extra airflow will lean out the mixture and give you a little more power, and believe me, you need all the extra power you can get up that high! One more thing-- You'll be on the edge of Zion National Park, so bring a camera because the scenery is amazing.