PDA

View Full Version : Question about Airbox Lid!!!!!!

CG400ex
10-01-2003, 08:53 PM
I have a 400ex, and it has the stock airbox lid on it, there are like three one inch holes drilled into it. By the way I bought the bike used it's a 2000 model. It has like a Graydon Proline exhaust pipe on it. which probably sucks i know, but besides the point. I'm not sure what jetting is in the carb. but it seems to be a little rich...it runs strong with the airbox lid on, but I took it off and ran it like that for a few minutes and it was even stronger, like a very noticable difference. The bike had a deeper sound to it too. As long as I didn't get water in the box would this hurt the engine not having this lid on?! It seems to get alot more air, and runs alot better, but I'm afraid that it might not be good for it or something, I mean I just don't know, I need some advice! Is there a better lid i could buy that would allow a lot more air in that the three holes, and so it would run like it does with the lid off? You're opinions PLEASE! Thanks.

10-01-2003, 08:58 PM
lose or cut the lid...stick an outerwear over it...ur set

CG400ex
10-01-2003, 09:07 PM
So if I take it off then it won't hurt the engine?! I mean it's not gonna get TOO much air or anything?!

cals400ex
10-01-2003, 10:19 PM
taking the lid off shouldn't hurt as long as your jetted correctly and want to clean your filter really often. i would take the jets out and see whats in there so you know for sure. also, graydon is a good pipe.

stupid driver
10-01-2003, 10:22 PM
a k&n w/ outerwear , and toss that lid. U will like. Just keep that filter oiled

250exen
10-02-2003, 02:23 PM
the pipe dosen't suck, its acutally pretty good...

10-02-2003, 02:34 PM
If you take the lid off or drill holes in it and you increase the air flow you HAVE to rejet or you'll melt your piston over time..

I see you live in KY. NO airbox lid in KY is askin for a rebuilt motor,, to wet and muddy..:(

If you ride on a MX track and that's it then remove the lid. If you trail ride I suggest leaving the lid on..