PDA

View Full Version : Tire Balls

Quad Racer 600
10-01-2003, 08:44 PM
Is anyone going to be buying the new Tire Balls? they sound like a really good investment but I heard they were like a grand to get all four tires done. :eek:

bradley300
10-01-2003, 10:19 PM
i dont think they wil be quite that much, though they will be exspensive.

think about it this way though on the summer hatfield trip rico went thru like 4 rear tires at about 65-75 a piece, not to mention the trouble it took switching wheels every night and have to be careful with plugs ripping out, i bet rico would have payed 2 grand for them that weekend.

Braff1
10-01-2003, 11:01 PM
For the racer who is racing for a paycheck I think the 1K for the balls is well worth the money. But for the weekend rider maybe in the near future the price will come down and/or become more affordable.

I remember Traci Cecco passing me at sparta in the long creek bed run. While I was weaving my way around the rock trying not to blow a tire, she come by me 3-4 gear wfo. That reassurance on no flats can mean the difference between 1st place and 2nd.

lt250r91
10-02-2003, 05:21 AM
If I remember right (Jeff can correct me if I'm wrong) the tire balls cost $260 a tire, plus the tools to inflate and install them. So your well over a grand for 4 tires. I too agree that this is something that the pros and some A class rider will benifit from.

vroom
10-02-2003, 05:49 PM
what the heck are tire balls? anyone got a pic or somethin??

Doibugu2
10-02-2003, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by Braff1
For the racer who is racing for a paycheck I think the 1K for the balls is well worth the money. But for the weekend rider maybe in the near future the price will come down and/or become more affordable.

I remember Traci Cecco passing me at sparta in the long creek bed run. While I was weaving my way around the rock trying not to blow a tire, she come by me 3-4 gear wfo. That reassurance on no flats can mean the difference between 1st place and 2nd.

Isn't this just going to put a bigger gap between those that have money and those that don't.

Yea it's a great idea, but for $300 a tire or whatever, that puts it out of reach of the average racer.

cdalejef
10-02-2003, 07:01 PM
The tire ball info will be posted very soon!

You can also look at it this way, you will be saving money by not replacing tires when you get a hole in them. I had a 2" gash in my rear tire after The Wisp. The following weekend I went to HM for a 4 day ride on the same tire that had the gash in it and rode all weekend with no I'll effects at all!

A good example is Traci and Stephanie were in a heated battle for the overall at Sparta. With one lap to go, Stephanie got a front flat. She lost over 2 minutes because of it which let Traci pull a huge win!

Like some of the others said, these will not be for everyone. But for the serious racer or for someone that is going on a vacation ride that doesn't want to worry about carring spares, they are worth their weight in gold!

bradley300
10-03-2003, 09:13 AM
or the serious racer with more money than talent (those like me)

10-03-2003, 10:48 AM
As soon as my tires and rims like jeff's come in I'll be runnin tire balls too...:eek:

Doibugu2
10-03-2003, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by Rico
As soon as my tires and rims like jeff's come in I'll be runnin tire balls too...:eek:

you going to be running hipers too?

seatec
10-03-2003, 10:54 AM
i believe that GNCC'ers like Lafferty are running tire balls in their tires too.

cdalejef
10-06-2003, 08:31 AM
Originally posted by seatec
i believe that GNCC'ers like Lafferty are running tire balls in their tires too. Yep, several pro bike racers are running them. I ran them in my bike several years ago when I worked for Scott Summers. Traction is unreal!