PDA

View Full Version : CARB OR CAM? Pls. help me guys.

400exJOE
02-03-2002, 01:58 PM
Hey, as you all know my 440 project is going super slow. I might be able to get it done next w/e. Anyways, here's my Q: I bought the Lecrton carb but now I don't know if I want to use it. I know I can get $150 for it if I sell it to East Coast ATV. Should I ditch the carb and buy an xr400 cam instead? Which will give better power? I also like the set up of the stock carb and I'm not sure I want to get rid of it to replace it with the Lectron which I know very little about. Any opinions or info would be appreciated.

Matt Fisher
02-03-2002, 02:09 PM
The stock carb's not too bad, and the Lectron will probably be a waste if you don't use a bigger cam anyway.

$150 really isn't much money, why not just hang on to the Lectron for later?

I still say the XR cam's too small for a 440. It will really limit your top end.

Either way, a bigger cam will make more power than the bigger carb.

Dave400ex
02-03-2002, 02:09 PM
I would sell it and get the XR400 Cam. The Carb would add good power, but I`ve heard some Bad things about the Lectron. I guess it`s a pain to install and you have to Modify some things to make it work. I would get the Cam now, and then if you want you could Mod the Stock Carb or get a 39mm FCR Carb down the Road.

400exJOE
02-03-2002, 05:59 PM
anyone else??? I kinda want to make a decision soon so I can sell the lectron and get the cam b4 next weekend.

trx400ex
02-03-2002, 06:05 PM
sell it, get a cam

400exJOE
02-03-2002, 06:05 PM
ACTUALLY,...I just landed a job for a few days toward the end of February that I could probably make the extra money for the cam. Should I do this or just ditch the carb now?

NJ300ex
02-03-2002, 06:19 PM
Ditch the carb and buy the cam.

RAPTORAZ
02-03-2002, 06:28 PM
Personal experience here. An XR cam is not enough for a 440. You will be disappointed. A GT Thunder cam would be a better choice. Expecially since it is about the same price as an XR.

400exJOE
02-03-2002, 07:26 PM
the gt thunder is a drop in??? Wow, i never knew. How much is it? Is is on their web site?

Jekyl_22
02-03-2002, 07:39 PM
Why not just get a FCR 41mm Carb rather than a 39mm?

RAPTORAZ
02-03-2002, 09:29 PM
The GT Thunder cam is on their website. And yes, it is a drop in.

02-04-2002, 06:40 AM
Yeah I'd get a harder hittin cam for a 440 kit,,and loose the carb.

02-04-2002, 12:48 PM
ditch it and get an xr70 cam. that's what i did and i cant handle the power.

400exJOE
02-04-2002, 01:20 PM
Raptoraz,I didnt see their cam on the gt thunder site. I checked all the pages.

400exJOE
02-04-2002, 01:44 PM
i think i do want to sell it. BUT, i need suggestions on what cam to get. So far the xr400 isn't good enough for the 440 and I have yet to see a gt thunder cam. I will only buy a drop in so there is no hard facing rockers or new springs to buy. What cam do you guys recomend for $100-150?

02-04-2002, 01:55 PM
first off, sell me the carb.

here is what i did with my nearly stock 400. i of course had exhaust and a jet kit/filter , then my friend gave me his white bros race/track cam . believe it or not, I droped it in without doing anything. and it made the quad scream.. I didnt change springs, or rockers. I know I should have done that, but who cares. I think I would go for the cam....

400exJOE
02-04-2002, 02:10 PM
well I want to find the cam that I want b4 I get rid of the carb. How much are you willing to pay because there are already people who have asked to buy it. Lastly, you might be chewing up your rockers by not having them hardfaced, but I dont know for sure about the wb cam. Let me know, JOE

02-04-2002, 02:19 PM
that is what I have heard, but I still have stock springs and rockers, i have over 100 hours on the cam now, and I have adjusted the valves last ride, and there were no signs of wear at this point.. I do plan on a spring change, and rocker hardening this spring..
what do you want for the carb.. I would give 175 - 200 if it is in good shape..

Dave400ex
02-04-2002, 02:57 PM
I would get the GT Thunder or TC Cam. The TC Cam is also a Drop-In.

400exJOE
02-04-2002, 03:16 PM
The carb is in great condition. Just let me run the idea past my dad. I will get back to you later on this evening. Thanks, JOE

02-04-2002, 06:45 PM
just e-mail me with details.

thanks

hondathrashn@hotmail.com

Matt Fisher
02-04-2002, 08:46 PM
When you get to their home page, click on the part that says GT Thunder catalog. Go to page 2. This link may get you right there:

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/cat2set.html

I have thier 12.5:1 piston, their cam, and WB slip-on. HUGE difference over the average pipe and jet combo that everyone has.

400exdad
02-05-2002, 06:40 AM
I know everyone here likes the GT Thunder cam, but I wonder if it trully is a drop in. I mean, if it is an aftermarket camshaft for an ATV it is most likely a stock cam (exchange) and has usually been welded up and reground to the new specs. The welded surface is harder than the original cam and will wear the stock rockers. Tell me if I'm wrong and why.

If I wanted a truly drop in cam, it would be an HRC. However, with any kind of cam that will be aggressive enough to make your 440 shine, valve springs will most likely be required.

Just a stock 400 guys opinion.... whos been paying alot of attention to posts and planning on making some changes to his.

Ditch the carb for now, for sure.

:macho <your 440 with a cam!

MIKE400EX
02-05-2002, 10:23 AM
400EXDAD

I'll have the GT Thunder cam tomorrow to do a feedback on. I've been contemplating the GT/HRC decision also. Yes, they are a regrind off a core exchange. As a note, hardfacing is a term that is sometimes used to cover all types of material build-up on cams (and other parts). Depending on the application, many different materials can be applied, some softer, same as, and some harder than the OEM surface. Depends on what GT Thunder specified. If they're harder than stock, then hardfaced rockers will be needed.
As far as the heavier springs... The only time you need a heavier spring, is if you exceed the compression (re:valve lift) capability of the stock spring, increase the ramp angle(s) to open or close the valves quicker, or want more RPM. Drop in 400EX cams don't add too much lift or increase the ramp speed significantly, they just add duration, allowing you to use the stock springs (and rockers if they're also not too hard). Lots of variables, but you'll get the idea.

400exdad
02-05-2002, 11:19 AM
Thanks for the info Mike. I didn't know that different materials could be used to build up a cam. I kind of thought that hardwelding the lobes was the only way to build up the stock cam for regrinding. Maybe its the cheapest way.? I went to the Curtis Sparks page and read that some of his cams were "drop-ins", as a matter of fact a buddy of mine has one, probably one of the first ones. If you read on, at the Sparks page, he kind of contradicts and suggests hardfacing.? I am going from memory here from about 3 months ago.. :) BTW my buddy just got his back together from freshening it up and hardfaced this time, but I do not know if he got a new cam or not. I would guess so. Since if the rockers were junk, the cam would have been too. I think the aftermarket companies knew (know) the cams were or are harder than stock cams but are hoping that mild ramps will let the cam/rockers live awhile. One of the best things about going with the XR400 or HRC cam is that I get to keep my old cam. I can sell it, put it back in the quad, or save it for a future core if I really want to get a serious cam.

So, I am wondering, are you going to get hardfaced rockers before you install the cam?

MIKE400EX
02-05-2002, 11:35 AM
400EXDAD
No, I'm going to try doing it w/o the hardfaced rockers. I'm going to measure the cam, (we've got a metallurgical/dimensional inpection lab here), to make sure it's not too agressive or hard.
If only it were easy to put a rollerized wheel on the rocker instead of a rub surface we could grind anything to go in! Good design project. Wish there were 48 hrs. in a day!

For the price of the HRC, you can trade in your 400EX core for a GT and still buy a new EX or XR cam. Talk about choices!

oynot400
02-05-2002, 12:44 PM
Get the White Bros Race/Track cam it rocks! I have it with my 440, you can tell when the cam takes effect in the mid range and all the way through the rest of the power band. If you do get the WB cam or any other cam, get the spring kit. It is not worth trashing your motor when the valves start to float at those high rpms.
I never got my rockers hardend. I was told by many people that if I use a good synthic (sp?) oil and change it often, I should not have a problem. I have had this set up for over a year now with no problems.
From what I hear about the Lectron carb, get rid of it and get a FCR. When I put mine on it was just as much of a power improvement as the 440/ cam mod.

400exdad
02-05-2002, 05:01 PM
Right On Mike! I think the 400 would be totally different (as in really, really awesome, instead of just awesome :D ) if it had a roller rockers with a cam to match. Cool too about being able to check the hardness of the cam and compare it to the hardness of a stock one!:cool:

Maybe when you find the other 24 hours in a day you can design some, along with a serious cam and make a fortune!

TrengaBlaster3
02-05-2002, 05:52 PM
i personally would go with a blaster cam. i recently bought a DLC aftermarket blaster cam and love it. i will sell you my stock one for $220 or you can go with the DLC for $550. lemme know.

MxStar826
02-05-2002, 06:15 PM
hey trenga,post a pick of that blaster cam,i really want to see it.

400exdad
02-05-2002, 07:47 PM
Trenga, would you trade the blaster cam for a slightly used muffler bearing?

TrengaBlaster3
02-05-2002, 08:27 PM
i would have to see a pic, i am in need of some ceramic muffler bearings because the old ones are shot. i am also in the market for some clear plastics and a chrome plated seat cover, let me know if you have or know where i can get any of these. thanks.
~Craig~

Matt Fisher
02-05-2002, 09:32 PM
Mike, that's great that you have access to equipment like that. I'll bet the cam's really should have hardfaced rockers, just a guess though. Do post the results, please.

Wierd, I was just thinking about how to go about making a roller tipped rocker, then I read about it here...