PDA

View Full Version : What to do with my new exhaust?

2001400ex
10-01-2003, 07:35 PM
I ordered my HMF slip on exhaust for my 400EX, I know I'm going to have to re-jet and adjust my air/fuel mixture...but does anyone that's ordered a HMF slip-on for their quad know if the canister comes with a manual so I know how to re-jet and adjust the air/fuel mixture? Or do I have to bring it somehwere or what?

If it doesn't can someone just explain to me how to jet it and where my air/fuel mixture is? Because I don't know much about carbuerators and don't want to make anything worse:eek2:

Jetting Modifications (after the pipe is on):

175 main jet
3.5 turns out on air/fuel mixture

I couldn't afford the Yoshi, and don't want to wait any longer:(

trailburner
10-01-2003, 08:05 PM
Click on "forums" them click on "frequently asked quistions" There is theard on how to install a K&N jet kit. this should tell you all you need to know..It's easy... ;)

REDRULES
10-01-2003, 08:35 PM
I am very happy with my HMF. Joe at HMF told me to jet it this way:

165 main instead of the 175
3.5 turns out on the air/fuel screw
and stock needle to the 2nd clip from the bottom.

I did all the above except for the needle clip. It comes stock on the 3rd clip from the bottom, so i decided to try it on the stock setting. Also, according to my manual the stock setting for the mixture screw is 2 1/4. With the above settings I got a tremendous improvement

-better throttle response
-more power throughout the rpm range
-it feels as if it has a small 2-stroke type hit in the midrange in 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gears

It sounds great also! I hope that you will be happy with yours. If you feel overwhelmed with the jetting thing, I would get it done by a professional

cals400ex
10-01-2003, 10:39 PM
do not take it anywhere, jetting is easy. you have to learn somewhere and it is next to impossible to actually break something in the process. check these sites out and let us know if you have any questions. for the mainjet, a 165 will be too big if you have just a slip on pipe. hmf is bad at telling you to jet too big. on a stock engine with just that silencer, i recommend a 155 main. i like the 42 pilot jet. as for the needle, i would stay stock or move the clip down one position.

redrules, you might have a two stroke hit because you are probally too big on the main. i am not sure what elevation or temp your at, but i can almost guarantee your bike will be faster with a 155 main in given that you only have a pipe, filter, etc. with jetting, bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. however, you don't want to run lean (too small of a jet) either as this will make your bike run hotter.

www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=6644

www.exriders.com/techarticles/jetting.html

hondarider2006
10-02-2003, 12:00 AM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19832

That thread helped me out a lot when I had to re-jet for my wb, and k&n filter. I ended up with a 165, and 3 1/2 turns out. My plug was perfectly brown, and now that winter is almost here, I am thinking about going to a 170.

2001400ex
10-02-2003, 01:50 PM
Thanks guys!:)

REDRULES: How long did it take for yours to come?

REDRULES
10-03-2003, 09:11 AM
If you just ordered by e-mail I would give them a call and speak to someone. I ordered mine on a wednesday, it show on the credit card that they did not send it untill friday, and it arrived on a tuesday. So depending on when they put the order in. I would expect about 6-7 days.
:)

2001400ex
10-03-2003, 03:40 PM
K, I'm gonna call, hopefully there's a number on the website, thanks.:)

2001400ex
10-04-2003, 12:04 PM
Ok, here's the scoop, I e-mailed HMF on Wednesday with all my information, except my credit card number, because I don't feel comfotable e-mailing them with it, it's not a set up like for a registration type deal, then...I got sick of waiting, so I called today at 11:11 in the morning, and I got the message "We are on the phone, call back later or leave a voice mail." It's 2:05 in the afternoon and I still haven't gotten a call back, I called them 5 minutes ago and it said they are still "on the phone" - what the #$(^ is going on here? How un-professional is that? I want my exhaust to come QUICK, I don't want to be waiting a month JUST to contact someone, anyone know what's going on with this company?

cals400ex
10-04-2003, 04:12 PM
my friend had the same problem as you. they actually never even sent an email back. it would almost be enough for me to buy another brand. he ended up ordering it from C&D. however, you won't get it within a day or two.

2001400ex
10-04-2003, 04:45 PM
I'm getting really impatient, anyone know any other places that carry HMF exhaust systems? I want the HMF series slip-on...REDRULES: How did you get yours? Do you know someone that works at HMF? Is this 'company' run out of some guys backyard or what? Serioussly...I called about 4 times today and during all of their 'hours' they were "on the phone" Like I said, I don't want to wait a month just to talk to someone and THEN place my order.

redroost85
10-04-2003, 06:13 PM
2001, I hear you man. I have thought about getting the HMF slip-on...mostly because I am cheap and can't afford the Yosh either. But if this is what happens when I try to order from HMF, then screw that man. I may just get a White Bros. R-series or something. Let us know how it turns out dude!

Don't you just frickin hate waiting for parts....when I order, I want them like yesterday, lol!:devil:

Doibugu2
10-04-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
I'm getting really impatient, anyone know any other places that carry HMF exhaust systems? I want the HMF series slip-on...REDRULES: How did you get yours? Do you know someone that works at HMF? Is this 'company' run out of some guys backyard or what? Serioussly...I called about 4 times today and during all of their 'hours' they were "on the phone" Like I said, I don't want to wait a month just to talk to someone and THEN place my order.

Call C&D. I got mine withen a week.

2001400ex
10-04-2003, 06:41 PM
I just called, well, actually my mom did. It's some guy's cell-phone, I called him while he was out eating dinner.:o :huh

Too bad HMF couldn't be MORE PROFESSIONAL, because I will never order anything from HMF again after I get this exhaust, if I can even ($*^@%# talk to someone at their company, sheesh.:mad:

2001400ex
10-04-2003, 07:11 PM
Originally posted by redroost85
2001, I hear you man. I have thought about getting the HMF slip-on...mostly because I am cheap and can't afford the Yosh either. But if this is what happens when I try to order from HMF, then screw that man. I may just get a White Bros. R-series or something. Let us know how it turns out dude!

Don't you just frickin hate waiting for parts....when I order, I want them like yesterday, lol!:devil:

Defenitely, I want my parts yesterday too...but how un-professional is it to not even call someone who wants to order a part from your 'company' - I'm serioussly getting impatient, I just emailed HMF again and told them I'm extremely dissapointed that I've been waiting for three days just to get a call about my credit card number so they will ship it out...I left them all my information again too, and told them I've heard good things about their products and now I'm starting to not belive it, if I can't even get a call back...SHEESH!:mad: :mad:

2001400ex
10-05-2003, 10:07 AM
bbbbbbbbbbbuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmppppppppppp pppppppppp