PDA

View Full Version : rad taperd bearing carrier installed but QUESTIONS PLEASE ANSWER

Greg Z
10-01-2003, 03:11 PM
hey OK i installed the carrier all correwct now im putting in the washer i put the wavy washer in I now try to put in the rotor but the Rotor doesnt leave any splines for the axle nut is it suppost to be like this? or should i have more splines for the axle nut?? help me out i got picshttp://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p121a6db5b5605ebe823a2d91c86ed811/faefd299.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid81/p30340ea0f9906df5737f9f01ea9a1bb3/faefd297.jpg

Greg Z
10-01-2003, 03:35 PM
ok more info on the sprocket side the axle isnt going in all the way but why?

Greg Z
10-01-2003, 04:56 PM
hey well ig ot teh wrong part i beleive Remplar the part ofr a 400ex bearing carrier is a H7 right? not a H-9 or H12 right? the guy sent me a H-9 H -12 at least thats what it says on my carrier..

thanks!!

remlapr
10-01-2003, 05:06 PM
Greg - I don't know, I'm at work - besides you on my kikkin list :grr:

But I guess I will still try to help you out - do you think you have the completely wrong carrier??

Greg Z
10-01-2003, 08:20 PM
i got it on!!! but how tight should i have it on? theres still a lil free play in the axle i tightend the loc nut with my hand to the tightest i can go?

( there was part of the broken bearing carrer on the axle that was stuck between the sprocket thing and i got it out then it just got on and about 5 min after everything was assembeld tommorow all i gotta do is put on the new chain and put on the rear brake!!! and lol a tie rod )

GNCC#829
10-02-2003, 03:47 AM
Tighten the axle nut as tight as you can and use some loc-tite.

Greg Z
10-02-2003, 04:56 AM
they say if i over tighten it i will pop the bearings out or destroy the bearings very quuickly

remlapr
10-02-2003, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by GNCC#829
Tighten the axle nut as tight as you can and use some loc-tite.

Talk about bad advice.

I don't know for sure - I think the goal is to have zero play in the axle, but no drag on the axle when turning it. I definately don't think you want to leave any play in the axle - but at the same time you definitely don't want to get it too tight. I would think having no play would be the most important though. I think I probably tightened mine a little too much - but so far so good, but only time will tell I guess. One thing I did wrong was tighten it with the chain on the sprocket - I couldn't really get a good feel for if I was adding drag by turing it because of the drag of the chain. I want to say I turned mine about 1.5 turns after I had it hand tight.

10-02-2003, 02:58 PM
I put on a glove, tighten the axlenut by hand, and then tighten the pinchbolt or if stocker the push nuts. If you over tighten yoru axle nut you'll ruin the carrier's center slide. It'll warp it and you'll startin goin thru bearings even faster..:eek:

Notu400ex
10-02-2003, 03:17 PM
You definitely don't want to overtighten a tapered bearing. You should check with RAD to see what torque they recommend. It is probably around 15-20 lbs max.

/jon

F-16Guy
10-02-2003, 05:49 PM
I'm not sure about carrier bearings, but in a lot of tapered bearing applications, theres a specific running torque. What I mean is, you tighten the axle nut until it takes a certain amount of torque to turn the axle (in this case, probably by turning the axle at the hub nut). Maybe Rad could tell you if that's the proper technique. In this case it's probably measured in in/lbs, as the bearings are pretty small and carry a relatively light load. My $.02

Taco
10-02-2003, 05:50 PM
I believe I heard somewhere you tighten to where you just feel a slight bit of drag on the axle.

Greg Z
10-03-2003, 02:42 AM
i called thm up they said have no to very little pressure on the spring ( im guessing he means the C-CLIP ) but i went riding today for a good 1 and a half hours to 2 hours and all went good my rad lock nut got loose but ill fix that up but its all workin well!:devil:

bigbadbrad
10-03-2003, 11:20 AM
had you broken your stock axle carier? i broke the adjusting part on mine on the last ride i went on.

Greg Z
10-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by bigbadbrad
had you broken your stock axle carier? i broke the adjusting part on mine on the last ride i went on. yeah i did and the bearing inside the adjusting part broke off and got stuck inbetween my sprocket hub i hammerd it off with a screw driver. then i installed the bearing carrier :) i went riding yesterday was really fun and nothing happend!

joeroadking
10-03-2003, 10:20 PM
I have the rad tapered carrier in my 250r and it is bullet proof I have rode twice as long as any other carrier <I even bought spare bearings so I could change them when they wore out but they never did still siting here new in the package , I just hit with the grease gun after each ride and it has pretty mush been matience free what an awesome part!