PDA

View Full Version : More 500ex problem

44oEX
10-01-2003, 11:50 AM
I got it running and brokin in ( it hawls ***** ) but know I bluew the head gasket ( steel ) I think I didn't take it apart but it sound like a really really bad exaust leek when I got home there was some carbone under the head fin in the left front corner. So I check the torke settting on the bolt in front of the spar plug and it was at 20 f/p so I thigted it (I did retorke after a little riding like your seposed to.) but it won't go past 25 f/p so it's stipped but it doesn't go tight and then come back lose it just stays steady at 25.

Can I just put a heele coil? I just have OEM studs cuse my dealer can't get over size.

If it didn't damage the gasket I'll just re-use it but if it did I'm goingto have to get one from FST and since I am canadien is going to cost like a hundred to get it to my house.

Can I just use a 440 gasket it's only 1 mm smaller? Or could I just cut it a bit bigger?

MOFO
10-01-2003, 04:55 PM
Honestly, I think your just asking too much out of that 400EX motor. Seems like all the guys that do the 500+cc bores end up having head gasket problems left and right...

jb500ex
10-01-2003, 05:56 PM
when doing any motor kit in the 400 you have to be careful with the studs. best bet is to find something called keanserts. i dont know if that is spelled right but they are supposed to be better than heli-coil. and dont regret the 500 kit. i had a 440 before and my 500 is much more reliable. manly because it is lower compression. i had 13:1 in the 440 kit

__________________________________________________ __

had a 440 with 13:1 comp
now has a four stroke tech 500 kit
port and flow
hardened rockers, heavy duty valve springs
web cam
k-n filter, with outerwear
lone star steering stem, axle carrier, and axle
laegers a arms
tcs zero preload shocks
pro taper bars
lrd exhaust
ac aluminum skid, glide plate, and front bumper
omf scoops
steel braided brake lines
hiper beadlocks
holeshot tires
one industries seat cover
graydon nerf bars
pro design kill switch
pep clutch lever

skemp
10-01-2003, 06:19 PM
You need to invest in oversize studs. Not only are they larger in diameter, they grab more of the meat in the cylinder therefore holding tighter. There are several vendors for them with fair prices. My guess is that without them you will keep pulling studs and losing head gaskets. By doing things right now, you will avoid all the headaches that could arise in the future. Glad you like the power of the 500; they are a handful! :)

44oEX
10-02-2003, 05:04 AM
thanks for the help I will try what you sad and see what happends. Don't worry I don't regret the 500ex one bit this thing rock I can't wait to try it agains a Raptor.

jb500ex do you have over size studs in you motor or did the stock one's holed up?

Chris400extreme
10-02-2003, 08:16 AM
HEY MAN I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM, I JUST HAD FOR DIRT ONLY INSTALL THEIR STUDS. THEY USE A CORSE THREAD AT THE BOTTOM AND ARE WAY LARGER. IT IS BULLETRPROOF. HE SAID THEY WILL HOLD AT UP TO 54 FT/LBS OF TORQUE. LOOK ON THIS SITE THEN GIVE THEM AS CALL

10-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by 44oEX
Don't worry I don't regret the 500ex one bit this thing rock I can't wait to try it agains a Raptor.

I beat raptors with my mildly tuned 416...:huh I'd hope you can beat them now...:eek2:

44oEX
10-02-2003, 08:38 AM
I know I could get over size studs but since I live in canada I would have to get it shipped and it would be to expensive. I have no money left ( just payer university ) so that is why I was wandering if a heli-coil or keanserts like jb500ex said would hold the load of the 500 cause the compression is only 11:1

44oEX
10-02-2003, 08:42 AM
I beat raptors with my mildly tuned 416... I'd hope you can beat them now...

I am not to worried but i'll let you guys know when I get a chance to drag race a raptor or even civic's and intergra's

jb500ex
10-02-2003, 05:13 PM
440ex my stock studs did hold in my 500kit. i had a 440 kit with 13:1 that i ended up ripping all 4 studs out it was a mess, in the end i got a new cylinder. one of the keys is when you are torqueing the bolts to make sure you have some kind of antisieze lube and torque each bolt a little bit at a time

chad502ex
10-02-2003, 06:45 PM
I havn't had any head gasket problems yet with my 502, and I have stock studs and even 11:1. I use metal Cometics for head gasket. Anything over 11:1 i would suggest stronger bolts cause the high compression causes the top end to twist a bit under load. a twisted top end causes leaks.

Chad502EX.com

44oEX
10-03-2003, 05:04 AM
I took it apart yestherday and ends up I didn't strip a stud the studs just can lose. When I torck the head bolts I didn't torck the studs ( whitch you are seposed to do ) so I just torck the stud whith lock nuts ( two nuts ) and that sould work now I just have to get another gasket cause this one is shot.

I'll let you know how it works in a few days.

joeroadking
10-03-2003, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by skemp
You need to invest in oversize studs. Not only are they larger in diameter, they grab more of the meat in the cylinder therefore holding tighter. There are several vendors for them with fair prices. My guess is that without them you will keep pulling studs and losing head gaskets. By doing things right now, you will avoid all the headaches that could arise in the future. Glad you like the power of the 500; they are a handful! :)

it will pull them out forever unless you go aftermaket I sold my 440 because it just became too unreliable after the big bore studs head gaskets etc