PDA

View Full Version : Ironman Help

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 11:37 AM
I plan on running the Ironman in a couple of weeks, but have a couple of questions.

What time do the normal crappy riders run?

I don't have an AMA card or ATVA, will I have to get one for just 1 race? If I do, will it last till October of next year?

What time do I need to be there in order to register and stuff? I think I might have to work late the night before and figure I have to get up that morning to drive there, so how much time will I need?

What about the cold and the water? Just suck it up or are there any tricks?

Any other pointers I can get would be great.

Pappy
10-01-2003, 11:39 AM
pointer #1

drop the hammer:D

good luck too. im sure jeff or another mud monkey will fill ya in on the sign up times etc:)

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
pointer #1

drop the hammer:D

good luck too. im sure jeff or another mud monkey will fill ya in on the sign up times etc:)

Thanks Pappy, you going to be heading out here for this one? I figure I got enough stamina to drop the hammer for about 15 minutes. Rest of the time is just sight seeing!

10-01-2003, 11:44 AM
First off...slow riders like you and myself start in the morning at 10:00. Afternoon race starts around 1 i believe. Your gonna be pressed for time to make a long story short...:(

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 11:55 AM
What if I get there at like 2am or something, can I find a place to sleep easy? I guess I will be in the car sleeping though.

02 Red Rider
10-01-2003, 11:59 AM
It's best to sleep there. You will need to be a member of the ATVA (you can sign up and pay there) and your membership is for one year.

Good luck and just have fun with it!

Jason
4stroke B

remlapr
10-01-2003, 12:30 PM
I think they opened AMA registration at 8a if I remember correctly at Sparta, there was already a good size line when they opened.

Also - don't forget you will have to go through tech inspection which is another long line.

trx400ex
10-01-2003, 02:28 PM
Just make sure you have a warm place to sleep. It is freaking freezing up here in Crawfordsville.:eek2: Ill be watching the race only, and i guess now there is NO pitriding at the Ironman.:(

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by trx400ex
Just make sure you have a warm place to sleep. It is freaking freezing up here in Crawfordsville.:eek2: Ill be watching the race only, and i guess now there is NO pitriding at the Ironman.:(

Up here in Crawfordsville? I live in CHI, so I know cold pretty well.

trx400ex
10-01-2003, 03:18 PM
I feel for ya.....I hate cold unless theres snow to ride on.

400exmom
10-01-2003, 04:08 PM
ill be there as a racer not a nurse- just stay on the gas when in doubt-:D ;)

400exmom
10-01-2003, 04:11 PM
doug what class you runnin? i though i read somewhere fred was gonna run 1st year racer-hmmm-me too i think

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 04:35 PM
Momma, I'll wait till I'm done to get injured. You can take care of me then.

I have no clue what class to run in, first year sounds good to me. Give me somone to follow for awhile.

MX_Racer_20
10-01-2003, 05:29 PM
i'll be there racing in the first yr racer class also. This will be my 2nd xc race. My first was at L. Lynns earlier this yr.

10-01-2003, 05:36 PM
Doug it's a requirment to have a flag like you use at the badlands on your quad at the ironman...:cool:

I"ll be running the morning class also about 4 rows ahead of the first year class...:D

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 05:41 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Doug it's a requirment to have a flag like you use at the badlands on your quad at the ironman...:cool:

I"ll be running the morning class also about 4 rows ahead of the first year class...:D

So you are coming?

Are u serious about the flag!

10-01-2003, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
So you are coming?

Are u serious about the flag!

I figured I got all winter to hunt and only one race left to get together with all my buds from the GNCC series, so I"ll be there unless we get 3 foot of rain before the race...:devil:

And yes doug the flag is required..:(

400exmom
10-01-2003, 05:57 PM
yeah doug and you need a skirt that match yer flag and pink riding boots

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 06:00 PM
I haven't been able to find my pink skirt. But I still have the boots.:o

I seem to have lost my skirt when Rico was wearing it at H/M dancing with peaches:eek2: :eek:

10-01-2003, 06:19 PM
As long as you don't follow Kim you'll be OK Dougy...http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/nanny_nanny.gif

ILGNCC400EX
10-01-2003, 08:03 PM
Rico u don't think that mom will get lost do ya? Ya that flag is a real B*I*T*C*H if u have to get off and push up one of dem hills. Did u get dat sub-frame welded yet? I was a SEARS they had some really good deals on some tool sets. Get urself a boyfriend and tell him dat is what u want for christmas and den dump his arse!
About the pit ridin at the ironman we pitted next to a guy at Sparta and he lives by the guy that ownes da ground that they run the ironman on as far as he noes he was gonna let us pit ride.

bradley300
10-01-2003, 10:24 PM
to brave the weather a good way to do it is this-
1st layer, poly propelyne long underwear
2nd layer, riding gear
3rd layer, nylon wind breker jacket and pants.

handgaurds are nice to.

what ever you do, dont show up like me and rico did, summer vented riding gear, that was COLD!

400exmom
10-02-2003, 03:49 AM
Originally posted by ILGNCC400EX
Rico u don't think that mom will get lost do ya? Ya that flag is a real B*I*T*C*H if u have to get off and push up one of dem hills. Did u get dat sub-frame welded yet? I was a SEARS they had some really good deals on some tool sets. Get urself a boyfriend and tell him dat is what u want for christmas and den dump his arse!
About the pit ridin at the ironman we pitted next to a guy at Sparta and he lives by the guy that ownes da ground that they run the ironman on as far as he noes he was gonna let us pit ride. just teasin doug bout the flag its a badlands story-and i plan on screwin off most the day at work - taken the frame to the body shop i worked at and my buds there will set me up-and as far a future ex-husband goes...ima lookin:devil:

10-02-2003, 12:14 PM
Hey doug check out the new exriders.com flags they have for sale in the open forum.. That's what I'll be running at the race...:D

jja125
10-02-2003, 04:22 PM
dude, i hate when my flag gets all hung up in those tree branches and grapevines and stuff. i hope they get rid of them next year. if not i think i'm gonna just stick to local hare scrambles.

joshyz125
10-02-2003, 05:51 PM
I'll tell you one thing, If you don't get there early your screwed. The earlier the better. I always get there friday morning and camp. Plus i believe at 5 o'clock friday evening they have early registration. Get there early to, otherwise your going to be there for like 4 hours. It's better to wait for them to open 5 people back instead of waiting for them to open 200 people back.

Also, they always say no pitriding, just depends on how brave you are feeling.

And about the being cold thing, bring firewood or a generator.

Another thing, that first year racer class, i personally think it's the stupidest class out there. Doesn't matter what class you are in on paper, your still out there with EVERYBODY else. doesn't matter if your in the fastest class in the morning, or the slowest, everone is riding the same course. Only problem is sandbaggers and you'll never get away from them.

cdalejef
10-02-2003, 06:36 PM
I'd say they are going to be very strict about pit riding at the Ironman since someone was killed last year pit riding!

You need to get there no later than 8am. What Bradly said is great advice on what to wear when its cold.

MX_Racer_20
10-04-2003, 06:37 PM
anyone know how the track is? i'm wanting to know are there lots of hills (sizes). On the gncc website it says it's all flat land but you guys are talking like theres hills there. I'm not a big fan of climbing big hills so hopefully theres not to many.

ILGNCC400EX
10-04-2003, 09:23 PM
Nawwww da hills aren't that steep...Just ur comin out of a creek an u can't get much of a run at it. But there is usually 2 or 3 lines to go up..Course the hardest one is the shortest ahh...don't wory there will be a gazillion people there to help you.....if u make a good effort at it they will help u if u attack it like a wuss they will just throw beer cans and laugh at u! Hope dis helps :devil:

ILGNCC400EX
10-04-2003, 09:33 PM
Hey man i just noticed in your signature if this is the bike ur gonna run u might seriously reconisider that +5 axel n' those +2 a arms. I am afraid that it would be a VERY UNFUN DAY....if u ran those...Also if u got ur finders cut for MX Rico can tell u bout that......

10-05-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by MX_Racer_20
anyone know how the track is? i'm wanting to know are there lots of hills (sizes). On the gncc website it says it's all flat land but you guys are talking like theres hills there. I'm not a big fan of climbing big hills so hopefully theres not to many.

With your bike setup and not liking hills you better sit this one out...:eek2:

MX_Racer_20
10-05-2003, 12:53 PM
I don't mind hills its just the ones that are really steep i don't like. So i'm probably gonna have a hard time getting through the woods with this setup. I can adjust my axle down to +2. I ran this bike at loretta lynns and didn't have to much trouble. Are the trails the same width as loretta's?

10-06-2003, 08:40 AM
I"ll be running a +2 axle so you'll be OK there I think. I remember it being pretty tight in some spots, and yes there are a few nice hill climbs. One in particular is pretty steep. YOu'll know when you get to it because there will be about 600 people standing around it and you'll see plenty of quads either flipping down it or sittin at the bottom beat up....:eek: The fans will help ya though..they helped me up it 2 times last year...:o Very deep water crossings too...:eek2:

Doibugu2
10-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Rico quit trying to scare me, I mean him, I mean me.

I'm having nightmares of that hill now. I got last year or the year before's race on tape and have seen that hill and all the people.

Pappy
10-06-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Rico quit trying to scare me, I mean him, I mean me.

I'm having nightmares of that hill now. I got last year or the year before's race on tape and have seen that hill and all the people.

does someone need a bucket to carry thier string:eek: :blah:

400EXrider#91
10-06-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Pappy
does someone need a bucket to carry thier string:eek: :blah:

:eek: the chit is getting deap now

this race sounds interesting, where is this at?

trx400ex
10-06-2003, 03:57 PM
That hill isnt too bad. But it can get bad when there gets to be a quadjam at the top and people start running into each other. Nothing to be TOO afraid of.