PDA

View Full Version : stripped drain plug

js52589
09-30-2003, 08:40 PM
well the crankcase drain plug is stripped, ive tried a few things and tonight i tried some vice grips.... clamped em down and tightened em and the bolt is umm really sad looking now, and no closer to being out :o is there anything else i can try now that the head is all chewed up and rounded off :rolleyes:

JOEX
09-30-2003, 08:53 PM
I don't know what to say to try and help :( but for future reference read this thread.....
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=74677

Joe

Woodsrider
09-30-2003, 09:25 PM
You're down for the count bud:( I think the best thing to now is to split the case halves and either install a heli-coil, or you can buy a case half. The first option being the cheapest. Best of luck dude:ermm:

Doibugu2
09-30-2003, 09:32 PM
I might be reading it wrong, but I think he is saying the head of the bolt is stripped, not the actual hole.

If that is the case, just go to a hardware store and buy a set of easy outs.

js52589
09-30-2003, 10:24 PM
yea i thought about easy out but i dont wanna not center my hole in the bolt :o... oh well i guess i will be doing that :p thanks for suggesting it so i will be able to say "so n so told me to try this" after i tear chit up :D

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 08:50 AM
First drill a hole with a very small bit so you make sure you get right in the center. Actually you should hit the bolt with a hammer and a punch first right where you want to drill so your drill bit does not slide all around.

Just go slow and be careful.

js52589
10-01-2003, 05:41 PM
well i got an easy out and took off nerfs and shifter... got my hole drilled and as i was drilling in the easy out... it hooked up and simply made the hole bigger, so now the drain plug is folded on two sides.. stripped to a nice round shape... and has a hole in it lmao this isnt lookin good... and i dont know why the hell it stripped and is holdin onto the case so well... i didnt overtighten it, at least not this badly :p

Butters
10-01-2003, 10:38 PM
that sucks. i had this happen on my 300, but i just used one of those things that you tighten on the head that kinda cuts into it for a grip. not sure what its called.

ewalker302
10-02-2003, 04:33 AM
Take a dremel tool and make a big slot in whats left of the bolt head.

Get under the bike & use a big flathead srewdriver w/ some locking plyers locked on to the screwdriver.

:bandit:

Scott-300ex
10-07-2003, 04:07 PM
this happened to my dads warrior, when we used a huge vise-grip and clamped it on, then i had a hammer and so did my dad, so i hit on the vise-grip (on the side of the locking jaws) to keep the grip from sliding off, then my dad had a hammer and hit the handle to loosen it, we got it off and got a new one of course, if both people hit at the same time it works good

good luck

250rider
10-22-2003, 04:40 PM
get a nut and if u have a welder, put the nut on the bolt and fill in the middle of the nut
its like having a new head on it