PDA

View Full Version : head work....

rap169
09-30-2003, 06:52 PM
who does good head work for my 250x? Im looking for something decent, not too wild, and for the right price too.

ghak99
09-30-2003, 08:30 PM
Just do it yourself. It is simple, If you know how an engine works and how air flows to mix with fuel then it is all yours. Just keep everything smooth with a sharp edge where the tunnels meet

TheX1992
09-30-2003, 08:36 PM
sparks did mine. im happy with it

JOEX
09-30-2003, 08:37 PM
IMO, head work is something that should be left to the experienced professionals.:)

Joe

ghak99
09-30-2003, 08:43 PM
On a single piston engine it is simple. It is all basic airflow. The only way it ever gets technical is if it is done with cnc. I say go at it yourself. But if you are wanting to send big dollars then pay someone to do it.

Pappy
09-30-2003, 08:44 PM
try looking up a company called Extrudehone. the process they use is pretty wild and the flow numbers they get are awesome

JOEX
09-30-2003, 09:00 PM
Here's some interesting info........
http://mototuneusa.com/think_fast_intake_porting.htm

rap169
09-30-2003, 09:02 PM
im not attempting this myself....besides, i think a flow bech is needed to get the most out of it

cals400ex
09-30-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Here's some interesting info........
http://mototuneusa.com/think_fast_intake_porting.htm

i thought about having him do it, but i didn't know if he knew anything about the 400ex or if he would do a good job. he does make a lot of interesting points though.

ghak99
09-30-2003, 09:09 PM
Just remember your valve size and cam must match what that head will flow.
Good luck

JOEX
09-30-2003, 09:10 PM
I agree with you cals;) If I ever get the head done it will be by someone who has experience with the 400ex.

I'm thinking he focuses on high very RPM motors where the velocity really matters. But then again, I don't know a whole lot of the technical info on this:p

I'm pretty sure C&D does porting but I don't know if he does it himself or farms it out elsewhere.

Joe

JOEX
09-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by ghak99
Just remember your valve size and cam must match what that head will flow.
Good luck
That is exactly why I think it should be left to the pros;) The average Joe does not have the proper equipment or knowledge to do it right. And you have the risk of losing power or causing irreversable damage.

Still, JMO:)

Joe

rap169
09-30-2003, 09:17 PM
pappy have u tried their work yet? The prices seem pretty reasonable.

ghak99
09-30-2003, 09:18 PM
You really think the "pros" are going to tell him what cam and valve to use with their porting. This is why the serious engine builder won't tell you what is in it but will sure take your check to the bank.

JOEX
09-30-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by ghak99
You really think the "pros" are going to tell him what cam and valve to use with their porting. This is why the serious engine builder won't tell you what is in it but will sure take your check to the bank.
Why wouldn't they? Don't you think they will want you get the best perfomace out of their work?

Scenario.....
You get port work done by a reputable builder that specilaizes in Pro MX, you put your cheap cam of choice in. It gains some performance but not pleased with the amount of $'s spent. Is the porters fault?

If they put their own cam in they might not tell what the grind is, nothing wrong with that, trade secrets.

Joe

ghak99
09-30-2003, 09:52 PM
That is what I am getting at. They will put it in if he pays up. But he had a concern for the cost so I figured he was doing some of this work himself. They don't like to turn loose of info just to please one person.

Pappy
09-30-2003, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by rap169
pappy have u tried their work yet? The prices seem pretty reasonable.

i had a set of aluminum heads and an intake done by them years ago. was worth every penny...but i havent used them for quads....a recent memory jog reminded me of thier operation

JOEX
09-30-2003, 10:07 PM
If you want top performance you have to pay for it, unless you have a good network in the business.

There are many things the average person can do by him/herself to save a few dollars while rebuilding a motor but porting is something that is worth paying a pro to do along with boring and vavle grinding. None of it actually difficult but you need the proper tools and knowledge to do it right. It doesn't have to national builder, just an experienced builder that is familiar with your motor.

Joe

10-01-2003, 06:13 PM
I agree with joex. I think the porting work is all up to professionals. And if they put their own grind of cam in wooptedoo. As long as it runs and ur pleased with preformance who gives a chit. Also you might wanna do some research and or get some opnions on the porter that u will choose ive heard some good things from trinity.

ride300exrider
10-01-2003, 06:36 PM
who do u guys think the best porter of a 300ex is
and would u notice a big difference if i had my pike ported and rebuilt .60, would it be better to go .80?
i dont have a million $ to spend so i want more power for the least amount. i know u get what u pay for so would it just be better to pay the extra few $ and get a 310 thu 330 kid?
THANKS

Out_Sider
10-01-2003, 07:15 PM
PRO FAB 330!!!!!