PDA

View Full Version : motor question

Diedrich
09-30-2003, 06:39 PM
before i start my motor up for the first time should i pour some oil straight in the head? if so how much?

AndrewRRR
09-30-2003, 06:47 PM
1 quart.
just kidding. Some engine builders spray some WD-40 in during assembly, I never have. It should be ok. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, I don't want to be responsible for killing his motor :p

UglyMotha™
09-30-2003, 07:35 PM
yup, i always take a cup or two of oil and poor it directly into the head seconds before i fire it up for the first time

cals400ex
09-30-2003, 08:33 PM
i also poured oil in the head, like a cup or two. i also recommend assembly lube on the cam for breaking a new one in.

Diedrich
09-30-2003, 09:24 PM
thanks guys

L.Vegas400
09-30-2003, 11:18 PM
i was told by the engine builder at one of the shops here not to put anything in the cylinder after a rebuild, but that really doesnt sound right. maybe he has a reason for doing this. maybe its the way the cylinder was done by him, or he has had a very good turn out doing them this way, not really sure. i went half and half, just a small amount of oil on the cylinder walls.

UglyMotha™
10-01-2003, 06:04 AM
he's right you don't poor anything into you cylinder however that is not what is being discussed in this thread, he asking if you poor anything in the motor in other words before you start the motor up for the first time after a rebuild you take one of you valve caps off and pour the oil in there, not inside the cylinder

400exstunta
10-01-2003, 06:33 AM
i just broke in mine this past weekend.

I filled it up with the correct amount of oil first. then I poursed about a cup of oil into the head. then i turned the kill switch off and turned the key on so that it couldnt start. that way it could just pump some oil into the system as well.

then I fired her up. let it idle for about 2 minutes. let it cool and checked the oil. filled it the rest of the way up. did it a few times just to be sure :) all was well

AndrewRRR
10-01-2003, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
he's right you don't poor anything into you cylinder however that is not what is being discussed in this thread, he asking if you poor anything in the motor in other words before you start the motor up for the first time after a rebuild you take one of you valve caps off and pour the oil in there, not inside the cylinder

Oops, guess I misread it too then. Yeah pouring oil into the head is a good idea so your valvetrain isnt' running dry until the engine can circulate oil up there. Kind of like filling the oil filter with oil when you change the oil on your car.