PDA

View Full Version : lightening the flywheel...explained!

zephead400ex
09-30-2003, 12:37 PM
Check this out, this dude is one smart mofo! If you have questions about how or why lightening the flywheel works...this dude answers it with more than you wanted to know!

http://forums.bansheehq.com/viewtopic.php?t=15758

peace

UglyMotha™
09-30-2003, 12:58 PM
over my head :eek2: i'm just a sorry engineer not a rocket scientist so can sombody sum it all up, will it make ya faster :confused:

zephead400ex
09-30-2003, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
over my head :eek2: i'm just a sorry engineer not a rocket scientist so can sombody sum it all up, will it make ya faster :confused:

Ya, its a little over my head....well a whole lot over my head actually. But hey, if we were all rocket scientist, this would be really helpful!

peace

wilkin250r
09-30-2003, 02:03 PM
Most everybody is familiar with inertia. Hit a fence with a bike, the bike will stop and you are going to go over the handle bars. Hit a fence with a car, and it will just go through the fence. Inertia is RESISTANCE to change, whether that change be starting or stopping.

Inertia isn't just in a straight line, it can also be rotational. Try spinning a hoola hoop vs a truck tire. The truck tire has more rotational inertia, it's harder to get it moving, and once it is moving, it's harder to get it to stop.

The "J" that the article is talking about is a measurement of rotational inertia, and it is basically equivalent to mass*radius. 5 oz taken off the outside will have more impact than 5oz taken off the inside, because the radius is different.

You need SOME type of wieght rotating, because it takes energy to compress the fuel/air before ignition. A heavy flywheel will have a nice smooth powerband because it won't slow down during the compression stroke. However, it takes energy to get that heavy mass rotating, which is energy you lose during acceleration.

A light flywheel will allow the engine to rev very quickly, and all that energy that you used to spend getting your HEAVY flywheel to spin, is now energy you can put to the ground and improve acceleration. However, if it is TOO light, you won't have enough rotational inertia for the compression stroke, and you engine will stall. OR, it will rapidly slow down during compression, and then rapidly speed up during the combustion stroke. These rapid changes in speed can cause severe vibration, which itself will also rob you of power.

Clear enough? More detail?

09-30-2003, 02:52 PM
I had mine shaved and I like it...:blah: As for all the mumbo jumbo....flywheel schmy wheel, if it makes ya faster buy it...LMFAO:devil:

and that guy doin all that talkin has diareah of the mouth worse than anyone i've ever seen on a forum.....:huh

zephead400ex
09-30-2003, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I had mine shaved and I like it...:blah: As for all the mumbo jumbo....flywheel schmy wheel, if it makes ya faster buy it...LMFAO:devil:

and that guy doin all that talkin has diareah of the mouth worse than anyone i've ever seen on a forum.....:huh

Ya that dude who answered the question, was actually the guys professor at some Ivy League school. I think it was actually cut and copied to the forum...but I have to agree...he pooped all over himself!:eek2:

09-30-2003, 03:56 PM
ok guys all u have to do is disect it im only 15 and i partially understand it. But i like science alot. Ok the flywheel pretty much saves power from the stroke to use later when its not making power. So you must tune the flywheel's inertia to get the most power out of it , not the mass. Just making it lighter won't help u gotta take weight out at key points. So a good idea of this is like an engine with alot of cylinders could run decently without a flywheel because the power stroke of each cylinder would hit oppistie of the others and make power so you wouldn't need any thing to make power in between strokes. What this article is mainly about is an engine with a low inertia will recieve more power rev faster and corner better, but when the clutch is engaged it might stall more thus taking more skill to drive. Or a engine with a high inertia will be easier to ride but u wont get any gains u will probably loose some power. Wow this is better than the papers i write in schools. lol.:eek:

UglyMotha™
09-30-2003, 04:36 PM
goodlord wilkin, go wash your mouth out :huh

:blah:

09-30-2003, 05:35 PM
i understood it did u ugly?

wilkin250r
09-30-2003, 05:51 PM
goodlord wilkin, go wash your mouth out :huh

:blah:

Maybe I should be a college professor... :D

"The brilliant minds of today warping the brilliant minds of tomorrow!!!"

UglyMotha™
09-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Maybe I should be a college professor... :D

"The brilliant minds of today warping the brilliant minds of tomorrow!!!"

you sayin i'm a brilliant mind of tomorrow!!!:cuss:

Doibugu2
09-30-2003, 06:30 PM
you sayin i'm a brilliant mind of tomorrow!!!:cuss:

Ugly you will never be brilliant!:eek:

UglyMotha™
09-30-2003, 06:36 PM
my mamma sez i brilliant in my own way :(

AndrewRRR
09-30-2003, 06:57 PM

A light flywheel will allow the engine to rev very quickly, and all that energy that you used to spend getting your HEAVY flywheel to spin, is now energy you can put to the ground and improve acceleration. However, if it is TOO light, you won't have enough rotational inertia for the compression stroke, and you engine will stall. OR, it will rapidly slow down during compression, and then rapidly speed up during the combustion stroke. These rapid changes in speed can cause severe vibration, which itself will also rob you of power.

Clear enough? More detail?

Hmm, I was wondering why my R vibrates more with the CR ignition! *Pictures "The More You Know..." rainbow and star appear over my head* haha

UglyMotha™
09-30-2003, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
rainbow and star appear over my head* haha

does that mean your gay :confused: :huh

:eek:

AndrewRRR
09-30-2003, 07:22 PM
does that mean your gay :confused: :huh

:eek:

lol, no not that kind of rainbow. Those little clips were usually pretty gay though, weren't they on after school specials and crap?

UglyMotha™
09-30-2003, 07:28 PM
"conjunction junction" woot woot

uuhhh memories :p LMAO

09-30-2003, 08:32 PM
ugly are u fixated with gay people cuz u always mention them in ur threads. :eek2:

YZROOSTINYA
10-01-2003, 05:59 AM
93-300

You got it.

Your CR ignition is probally lighter since it is for a dirtbike. They are lighter since the crank is not as beefy, and the bike needs to respond faster because it is used for MX.

all it pretty much says is by lightening the flywheel your bike becomes more like a 2 stroke. the heavier the flwheel it becomes more like a old 4 stroke.

BUT the weight needs to be removed/added in the proper place or there will be little effect on performance.

Rico, where did you get your flywheel done and how much was it? Do you also have FCR and do you like it? big gain? Please PM me with your mods if you will.

UglyMotha™
10-01-2003, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by 93 300ex
ugly are u fixated with gay people cuz u always mention them in ur threads. :eek2:

uh i dont recall the last time i called sombody gay :confused: :huh

10-01-2003, 08:15 AM
Originally posted by YZROOSTINYA

Rico, where did you get your flywheel done and how much was it? Do you also have FCR and do you like it? big gain? Please PM me with your mods if you will.

Flywheel was sent to rocky ridge racing.. I believe it was like $100 to have done. This was done almost 3 years ago and it hasn't given me any problems. Mods are very slim. Bored cylinder and XR400. Full exhuast system. Running stock carb but I have a sparks modified carb on the way. I'm eager ta get it on there..:devil:

UglyMotha™
10-01-2003, 08:37 AM
you'll have to give me a hollar when ya get it bolted up im curious as to what kind of performance gain you'll see from just the carb alone since i did all my crap at once

AndrewRRR
10-01-2003, 11:55 AM
MP lightens flywheels for $45, but maybe that's only for 2 strokes. It's not really all that difficult to do. I'm gonna see if I can get my grandpa's metal lathe back and do some.
The CR ignition makes a major difference on a R. It's WAY lighter than the stock ignition and basically gets rid of the flywheel. It revs like a CR250 now and has more acceleration but it does vibrate more and I can't run lights till Ricky Stator gets his CR lighting kit out.

wilkin250r
10-01-2003, 01:52 PM
I NEED my lights. How else am I going to scream up the dunes in the middle of the night to set off illegal fireworks?

pnut420
10-01-2003, 01:58 PM
I NEED my lights. How else am I going to scream up the dunes in the middle of the night to set off illegal fireworks?

Follow a faster quad and use his lights. ;)

I can't wait for memorial weekend. :blah:

AndrewRRR
10-01-2003, 03:15 PM

haha, i guess i'm not the only one that does that. He said he's done with testing and they are starting to produced the parts so hopefully in a couple months I'll get the lighting kit. It's 100 watts so I can run 50W bulbs in my aluminators instead of the 35W you have to run with a stock R stator.

wilkin250r
10-01-2003, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't load a 100W stator with 100W of lights. You still need power to run the rest of your quad. Typically only use up to 80% to run your lights. With a 100W stator, I think you're still stuck with two 35W

10-01-2003, 05:59 PM
two 35w's are still gonna put off some good light right?

AndrewRRR
10-02-2003, 12:30 PM
My two 35W aluminators are way brighter than my stock 250r headlight was. Casper has two 50W lights and they are usually the brightest quad lights on the hill. Ricky Stator was saying the CR setup puts out a "true" 100W of lighting power so it would be ok to run 50W lights (on my stock R stator which puts out like 100W supposedly he said i'd need to get it rewound to 125+ watts to run 50W lights). I think the taillight uses up to 3W and the engine doesn't run off the lighting coils, it has it's own winds (actually the CR ignition is a little different, I haven't dissected it yet to see exactly how it differs from a normal stator, flywheel, etc setup).
I'll ask him again when I buy the kit to make sure, and let you all know how it works.