PDA

View Full Version : LS axcaliber owners look here

09-30-2003, 11:35 AM
After finding my LS axle's sprocket hub being very loose both side to side, which caused it to slide back and forth inside the carrier up to 1/4inch..:eek: and it would move front and back, the splines are shot I know. But spending $135 to replace it and then finding a 10 ton press to put the new one on is for chit in my book. Well here's a quick fix for those of us that are not rich.

I bought a new axle-nut that had a new axle ring clip with it. Take the old clip, pry it apart a little and with some pliers, hammer, and small punch, you can put this clip between the sprocket hub and retaining clip that are already there, and waaaa laaaaaaa, YOu'll take away about 90% of that play in the axle..:D

I did this to mine before this last trip to Hatfield. The riding there will jar anything loose and they should use the bearwallow trail for testing new quads I think. IF it's gonna come loose or break it will on these trails. Anywho just thought I'd share this idea with those that might have the same problem..

JOEX
09-30-2003, 11:42 AM
I'm cunfused:confused:
There is a retaining clip on the sprocket side?

Joe

09-30-2003, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I'm cunfused:confused:
There is a retaining clip on the sprocket side?

Joe

yes on lsr axles

rico, you have to use a press to get one off???:eek:

400exBro
09-30-2003, 03:03 PM
thanks for the tip... if my axle starts to show free play there i will deffently do that...

09-30-2003, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
yes on lsr axles

rico, you have to use a press to get one off???:eek:

Not mine man...the retaining clip was fully exposed,,I bet I could get it off and the got dam hub would fall off.... :mad:

JOEX
09-30-2003, 08:10 PM
OK, I see the one on the outside. Is there one on the inside as well? I think this is something that should be covered under warranty:grr:

Those of you who have had this problem, how many hours are on it?

Any thoughts on what the cause is? Is it the hub splines wearing or the axle? Maybe the chrome is wearing off the axle?

Joe

Jeffksf
10-01-2003, 06:15 AM
thats odd, look at this http://z400central.com/invision/index.php?showtopic=14105 (link) for problems on the LSR Z400 axle. I'm a little upset to.

465Stroker
10-01-2003, 06:18 AM
Same situation with my RPM cannondale XC axle with teh sprocket hub having a ton of play after 3/4 of a sesaon of use. Called RPM which replaced it for free - but keep in mind the RPM axle cost at least $80.00 more than the LSR axles. Seems like a no win situation either way. Both companies have different views as to warranty but also very different pricing structures also.

Taco
10-01-2003, 06:24 AM
Its good to hear that RPM at least fixed it.

465Stroker
10-01-2003, 06:27 AM
True - but if look at the total investment - who is better?

Taco
10-01-2003, 06:30 AM
Well from what Rico said its approx. $100 to fix the sprocket hub. that alone makes up the price difference between LSR and RPM. Makes me glad that I spent the extra money on the RPM:D

10-01-2003, 09:23 AM
LS has a good warranty toward bending or breaking the axle but that is about it...:grr:

This 45 cent fix seems to be working pretty good.. I"ll get pics tonight so those that can't picture what i'm' saying can get a good understanding..:cool:

Doibugu2
10-01-2003, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by Rico
This 45 cent fix seems to be working pretty good.. I"ll get pics tonight so those that can't picture what i'm' saying can get a good understanding..:cool:

Huh??:confused: :confused: :blah:

TheX1992
10-01-2003, 10:11 AM
this should really go in the FAQ forum. tons of people have LSR's so im sure tons will have this problems sadly enough

10-01-2003, 10:34 AM
mines 2 years old prob 30-40 races on it

4TraxRider
10-01-2003, 11:53 AM
Mines two years old and has had noticable side play since the beginning of this race season and has only got worse with time. Thanks Rico, i gotta try that, looks like you saved me a new axle.:)

JOEX
10-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Looks like LSR will be getting a few emails:( I hope mine doesn't develope that problem.

Joe

xrracer36
10-20-2003, 10:14 AM
i just discovered the rotational play in the hub on my LSR axle yesterday. :mad:
i may give your fix a try...
is it the hub or the axel that is worn to cause the freeplay?

rydes400ex
10-20-2003, 01:03 PM
I sent ls out last winter with a bend and loose sprocket hub and it was straightened and a new hub was installed no charge.

oldsandman
10-20-2003, 01:56 PM
On lsr axles the sprocket hub should have to be pressed on. You press it to the center of the axle untill the snap ring groove shows. Put the ring in then press the hub back towards the wheel end until it bottoms on the retaining ring. If the sprocket hub slides on and off its too loose your axle or sprocket is screwed up. Those things are a real pain to get off after a while. I have put the sprocket hub on by freezing the axle and heating the hub up in the oven. Then using welding gloves sliding the hub on tapping it with a dead blow poly hammer.

toby400ex
10-20-2003, 02:52 PM
IF the axle or the hub is junk and not worth replacing why not just weld the sprocket hub to the axle:confused:

oldsandman
10-20-2003, 03:00 PM
One is aluminium one is steel.

xrracer36
10-22-2003, 09:04 AM
re-checked my hub at home. it has just a little rotational (forward and back) play, but no side-to-side paly whatsoever.
should i worry about it?
the axle came on my quad, so whenever it goes, i'll jsut pay the $135 and replace the hub, cuz it beats the $280 for the stock axle.
i was just wondering if there's any preventive maintnance i can do to stop it from getting to that point, or if it will cause any potential harm to have some front to back play in it the way it does if it can't go side to side?:confused:
it would jsut wear the hub, right? (not the axle splines itself?)

thanks
racer36

Zero74
10-22-2003, 10:12 AM
Note to self, dont by lsr axle...

xrracer36
10-22-2003, 10:22 AM
i don't know if i would not buy a lsr axle. i love the +4" adjustablility feature. (over stock)
if i hadn't caught that by eye, i doubt i ever would have known there was freeplay in the hub, and i'm not sure if it will ever fail on me??? it might be fine as is for the life of the axle, for as far as i know. no one actually said that their hub stripped totally and failed them... they are just fixing something that they believe may be (or may become) broke. keyword: MAY
now if someone comes on here and says that their hub actually failed them, then i will probably fix mine, but until that time, i will probably just live with it as is and see how it goes. (if it aint ACTUALLY broke, why pay to fix it :huh ? wait till it goes then pay for it, cuz that keeps $135 in your pocket that much longer.)
:rolleyes:
:eek:
racer36
:D

trx400ex
10-22-2003, 01:15 PM
My LSR axles seem to last one moto for me so far this year...Even though i dont like RPM I would tell everyone out there looking for an axle to get the RPM. Its the only one thats any good.

250rpilot
10-22-2003, 07:40 PM
my axcalibar axle had no signs of play, until one week at H/M. now its as sloppy as an 80 yr old hooker

my next axle will be an rpm, no more lonstar chit for me.

muff
10-22-2003, 08:01 PM
I've been disapointed from my lsr axle also, it has bent and it was suppose to be some tough stuff....well i guess thats what i get from not goin all out and gettin RPM products

pnut420
10-22-2003, 08:47 PM
Where is a good place to order a RPM axle?

muff
10-23-2003, 04:31 AM
I would say order directly from them, you should get a discount because they advertise on here

www.team-rpm.com