PDA

View Full Version : A MUST program for music downloaders - Legal I think!

MOFO
09-30-2003, 07:32 AM
Here is a program that will rip music from those free internet radio stations. Once you install this program, find the little button to record and it will record all day and make separate .MP3 files for each song!! Then you just pick and choose in your download folder.

streamripper.sourceforge.net (http://streamripper.sourceforge.net ) (where you will find the software)

I'm using this right now... works perfect!!!

I believe this would be legal, just as if you would record off of the "local" radio stations... just dont distribute it

MOFO
09-30-2003, 08:14 AM
Ok, I've been using it for an hour or so... I've already got 11 rock songs in my download folder...all pretty damn good too... 128kbs quality (this depends on the radio station you listen/rip from).

I give it two HUGE thumbs up!! Looks like I'll be needing that 120gig hard drive soon... :D

JLanphear
09-30-2003, 08:28 AM
Yeah, I was planning on doing the same thing....though I didn't know there were programs out there that will record the song and put it in .mp3 format so that's even better.

I'm not sure of the legality...I "think" I "may" have heard something about an act which makes it illegal to do on the net...maybe something like the "digital rights protection act", but I really have no idea.

I'm not sure what the governing laws of internet are, and if they are the same as far as what they have to do to obtain the rights or whatever to play the music, but if they are then I should be legal...but again...I have no clue what I'm talking about.

You can be sure though, that if it is legal to do it right now it probably won't be in the future. :p

MOFO
09-30-2003, 08:34 AM
either way, they cant get you. all you are doing is listening to "public" radio and recording it. They cant track it. Just dont publicly post your download folder... :D

JLanphear
09-30-2003, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
either way, they cant get you. all you are doing is listening to "public" radio and recording it. They cant track it. Just dont publicly post your download folder... :D

Well I was speaking only in regards of the legallity....Everything is legal until you get caught ;)

zephead400ex
09-30-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by JLanphear
Well I was speaking only in regards of the legallity....Everything is legal until you get caught ;)

Right on!

Jellyrolls
09-30-2003, 11:40 AM
will 56k be able to do it?

MOFO
09-30-2003, 11:41 AM
I've heard guys with ISDN connections having problems due to its buffer....so I would imagine that 56k wont work. Need DSL, Cable or T1 I believe....