PDA

View Full Version : 400ex motor question?!? HELP

400ex#18
09-29-2003, 06:10 PM
Well at the nationals, my motor just cut out during a race, and i went through the carb, to hope it was something simple, and found a little dirt in it...I cleaned it up and it ran..Now that it is in my garage, i have the filter off, and i felt inside the intake boot, and found little peices of dirt. :confused: I load my filter heavily with oil, and i don't know if the slimey dark oil in the boot, was from that combined with dirt...Curious as to whether that is the prob. or whether my rings are shot...NEED HELP! Am i good to race this last race of the year without doing anything but cleaning, or do i need to do the top end , and put new rings in?

4TraxRider
09-29-2003, 06:29 PM
Maby your problem is your putting to much oil on the filter, adn te sludge is filter oil beign sucked into your carb adn engine. You probably don't need new rings if it runs and doesn't smoke. If it's starting to feel sluggish, doesnt' start well, and is smokey, its time for a rebuild.

09-29-2003, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Maby your problem is your putting to much oil on the filter, adn te sludge is filter oil beign sucked into your carb adn engine. You probably don't need new rings if it runs and doesn't smoke. If it's starting to feel sluggish, doesnt' start well, and is smokey, its time for a rebuild.

i agree 100% with that....and jus curious was it a foam or guaze filter? most likely foam...thats what took mine out

400ex#18
09-29-2003, 06:57 PM
well i am going to do a rebuild for sure this winter, while i am waiting for the new ride to come in...It did smoke a little when started, at first, but just for about a minute. then again it was cold out to and i had half choked it...But it seems sluggish to me, but i think that is because i have been riding a little on a new yfz450, and then riding mine...But besides that it starts fine, and ran fine till that one cut out, and then i cleaned the carb, and got it running again...:confused:

09-29-2003, 07:00 PM
well i think it was sluggish because u flooded it from having the choke on...and i think you may have got a little dirt in the motor and in the carb and when u cleaned it it cleared to carb out but the engine still has minor scratches...these scratches will grow and u will have to do a rebuild which u r gonna do anywayz so you should be ok for the next race :D

400ex#18
09-29-2003, 07:26 PM
i didn't ride with the choke on i just had the choke on and it smoked a tad bit, while i was getting it started with the choke early on in the morning...

400ex#18
09-29-2003, 07:28 PM
also one more thing...my buddy just left here and said he hears a little ticking noise in his 400 when he rides...i told him it is prolly the valves, cause they have only been adjusted once, in the past year or so...he asked me to do it since i do mine after every race, i know how to do it pretty well...Do you think that is his problem? And he wants to pay me, but how much should i charge? he is a friend....

Quadfather
09-29-2003, 08:01 PM
Let's see. You have a FRIEND, that wants you to adjust his valves, and you want to know how much to CHARGE him??????

For shame. I wouldn't call him anymore. He doesn't need friends like you.

400ex#18
09-30-2003, 06:39 PM
if you didn't read what i put, it said he wants to pay me...And i said he is a friend...I didn't say i was going to charge him, but i asked how much to cause he wants to pay me...I was thinking like 5 or 10 cause i still have to drive a half hour to get to him house to work on it, and i don't know:confused: