PDA

View Full Version : Honda CR 80 Quad??

QuadR8cer12
09-29-2003, 05:18 PM
ok Now that we have FINALLY gotten some support from the big guys... what do you guys think honda someday coming out with a CR 80 quad? like a fisher based quad so it would be descent for teens to ride/race. Then kids that are two big for trx 90's could actualy safely ride a quad. What do you guys think?

CHAUNCY
09-29-2003, 05:24 PM
I dont think it will happen.....would be pretty cool if it did though:)

Tommy 17
09-29-2003, 05:25 PM
never...

QuadR8cer12
09-29-2003, 05:32 PM
I think it could happen. If enough people showed that they were intrested like the did with the new 450's I think it could someday happen. I would be alot better than these kid parents going out and spending $10,000 ona custom built quad so they can race nationals. With the way our sport is starting to go I think it could really happen

Tommy 17
09-29-2003, 05:38 PM
u will never see a cr80 motor in a production quad...

2 strokes are done with... they are a thing of the past... 4 strokes are the new age... notice lil by lil u seein them fade away untill one day... u never hear of them... look at mx bikes and go to a track... all u see is the new age thumpers... much easier to ride also...

also the power band of those bikes wouldn't work in a quad... they have no low end... it would wear u out on a quad in 10 mins...

nacs400ex
09-29-2003, 05:41 PM
I can see it happening, ATV racing is getting bigger and bigger every year. Now that Honda and Yamaha has joined the band wagon, we are going to see a huge jump. In a few years there will be more sport ATVs, every main manufacturer pretty much has a decent sport quad for racing. It wont be long until there will be ones for the kids. I think its a great idea, then we will have more advanced riders coming into the sport, meaning bettert competion. The other day I saw a video of a kid on a KTM 50 or 65 cant remember doing freestyle off a ramp. Kids will get respect, as long as people show interest.

QuadR8cer12
09-29-2003, 05:45 PM
Tommy 17-

that is kinda true, it would also be nice to have a fast 4 stroke engine that would compete in the 80 cc class. something that would be big enough for a 15 year old to ride and have decent shocks

nacs400ex
09-29-2003, 05:47 PM
Sorry Tommy maybe in the states the 4-strokes dominate. But here at the nationals(dirtbike) the 2-strokes were all led by the top pros. The 4-strokes did well but the winner was on a 2-stroke. Its all personal preference. I hope they start to fade away, then they will be worth more in 10 years. Look at the price for R's. They are over a decade old and are worth more than a 400ex. :eek2:

Jones still uses a 2-stroke, I wonder why? Cause it works for him.

Your right, you wont see a CR80 motor but probably a hopped up thumper.

QuadR8cer12
09-29-2003, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
also the power band of those bikes wouldn't work in a quad... they have no low end... it would wear u out on a quad in 10 mins...

That not true have you ever been to a national or seen these kids ride those custom built 80 mod quads? They ride the dog ot of em. they culd prolly beat you around a track :blah: :macho.. The national mod champion Hunter Miller lives in Texas and he rides the TQRA series from around here and its amazing what he can do on that bike

nacs400ex
09-29-2003, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by QuadR8cer12
That not true have you ever been to a national or seen these kids ride those custom built 80 mod quads? They ride the dog ot of em. they culd prolly beat you around a track :blah: :macho.. The national mod champion Hunter Miller lives in Texas and he rides the TQRA series from around here and its amazing what he can do on that bike

Any dirtbike motr will work in a quad, you just have to change the gearing, and also make sure the motor isnt too powerful. There is a custom ktm65 quad in my circuit. Its a stock ktm65 frame with custom parts from the 400ex geometery welded on. It uses +2 400ex a-arms. +2 RPM axle, RPM hubs, the whole thing is aftermarket. It hauls major *****, and when the person took off their helmet is was a 13 year old girl. She is very fast, and smokes the mini competition.

Why some people use cr250 motors and cr500 motors. Anything can work, its all how much money you have.

4wheelboy
09-29-2003, 06:24 PM
i have seen many 2stroke 80 engines in blaster frames around hear:o

4TraxRider
09-29-2003, 06:47 PM
New two-strokes wil probably never happen, but I think a lof of people would be surprised at how smooth and tractable some of the new 2 strokes can be. The new CR's would be a very nice engine for a quad, as would the KTM 300's, and the KX engines from a few years ago would be great with all their low-end bark. But i do think that 4 strokes are easier and usually faster to ride, especially for long periods. Mostly its stil preference though, whatever works for you, go destroy it:devil:

Tommy 17
09-29-2003, 06:55 PM
i know the power band is wrong bc i had a cr80 for a long time... i had it stk and i had it fully modded by pro action... i know what they are like...

yes it can work... the money it would take would be alot... fact of the matter is the cr80 does not have a power valve... its a pain to ride at low speeds but once u hit the power band look out... the kx and rm have power valves... go ride a rm and kx then a cr and u'll see what i mean... it would be so hard and tiring to ride in the quad style frame...

yes i've seen them in blasters frames etc, i've seen hetrick riders ride in person b4 with the bikes... the fact of the matter is those bikes are not anywhere near stock... they are full race machines with custom built motors so they have the type of power for that frame...

i ain't gonna get into a pissin match here... the thing i'm tryin to say are those are 35+hp motors in those bikes... stk they have 17... yes they say cr80 but nothing on them is stk but the cases and a few internal parts... the frames are 50 inches wide and use all long travel, etc... i've rode with the hetrick kasea skyhawks b4... and those kids ride their hearts out... i do give them credit i watched them pass many good riders on bigger atvs...

nacs 400ex on another topic look at the prices of Rs now... u can't give them away noone wants them... i see full pro trax bikes sale for 7 to 9g all the time... noone wants a 17 year old bike... thats been beat when u can have a brandy new one that will last years for the same price... a stk 250r ISNT GREAT... thats where everyone is wrong about them... u don't use no stk 250r in a race... the stk 250r was no better then a stk 400ex... its a 265 power valve narrow long travel front with a cr500 link rear etc thats wins u the race... that gives u the edge... take a stk 250r out there and watch them laugh at u in a pro class... yes its a personal preference to which motor u like better... but the new age of riders are goin to be on 4 strokes... plain and simple...

wow thats a long post haha once again i'm not flamin... just statin my opinion in a long boring way:p

theTman
09-29-2003, 07:31 PM
i went to the quad races on sat night..sum kid had a cr80 motor in a 250x or 250r frame..he went uop again a heavely modded trx90 and bone stock trx90..he smoke every1

flyin#5
09-29-2003, 07:34 PM
when i was racing once there was a kid with a 250x with a yz85 engine in it. i crashed and took the spot behind him and passed him. i wish i could have seen the look on my face when i heard the 2 stroke zip. lol. i was talking with his dad who built it before the start of the second moto and he said it went in fairly easy. he just had to make a mount because dirtbike motors mount into the swingarm... something like that.

Ryan
09-29-2003, 07:37 PM
If this means anything...... I have talked to a motercycle (crotch rocket) racer about 2-stroke dirtbikes and he told me that there will most likely always be 2-stroke dirtbikes. But they will only be bought for closed course racing. :o

nacs400ex
09-29-2003, 08:01 PM
I am in both worlds 2-stroke and 4-stroke. a 400ex and 250r. To me to race a 2-stroke is actually cheaper. If you look at how much it is to mod the motor to make it race worthy on lets say a 400ex, your getting into $2000 US for a 416 national sparks. With that $2000 US I can make a very nice 2-stroke motor. Chassis, all the aftermarket frames use 250R geometry. You might say you have to rebuild the topend on the 2-stroke more often, thats fine a 4-stroke rebuild cost more anyways, especially if something went wrong.

Even the yfz isnt the greatest thing, I cant comment of the trx cause I havent seen one in action. The yfz cannot out handle a custom quad. At the track they dont do too good, They are fast but thats it. For the money I paid for my R it is cheaper to start with my old and outdated peice of junk than buy a new trx or yfz and begin to mod it. 400ex's are too overrated, they only have what 27hp, and to mod them it costs an arm and a leg.

Sure even if the 2-strokes cant hold their own in a few years, I can get a yz426 motor, and a aftermarket frame, bolt on all my 250r chassis parts, and run with the best of 'em.

I had a yz80, and the motor would work fine in a quad, sure the motor was bored and done out, but thats great for a quad. cause your moving double the weight.

JTRtrx250r
09-29-2003, 09:31 PM
I rode around a friends yard on his kids cr80 in a Blaster frame,it was actually suprisingly pretty quick..it smoked his 02 Blaster w/ a pipe and reeds ... they were both set up for flattrack,I think it would make a good class for the kids for sure but its very unlikely to happen...unless you do it yourself,you definitly see alot more custom stuff at the flattrack races for sure compared to most atv racing

Glow Plug
09-29-2003, 09:43 PM
I don't see we will se any 80cc motors in quad for a while if ever. I really think a more reasable expecation would mabye be some 250 cc 4 strokes for 14 and over or someting?