PDA

View Full Version : Pep Steering Stablizer Who's got them?

TRFOXX
02-02-2002, 07:24 PM
Do any of you like them, do they make a difference? I have one on order but if its no good I might send it back. :confused:
I've heard good things about them and I've heard say your money. I f any of you have an input on the Pep let me know.
I did get the rebuildable 3 settings one. Is this the right one to get? Thanks for your help!

02-02-2002, 08:55 PM
I had one on my Lt250r, Loved it. It only realy works when you hit something with the corner of the wheel. And it helps with ruts.
All it basicly does is slow the bar down from being jerked out of your hands real quickly. The only draw back I ever had was when it got real cold out it would be stiff for a couple minutes till the oil in it warmed up. I haven't got one for my 400 yet but it's on the list. You will only need it once to appreciate it forever...

02-03-2002, 12:43 AM
the heat from the 400's exhaust will heat up and ruin the seals on the dampner. send it back. get like a muscle dampner or if you wanna be cheaper go get one for a VW bettle

TRFOXX
02-03-2002, 07:58 AM
Has anyone else seen this happen? I will be installing some air scoops so will that block some of the heat? Sorry for all the questions but $118.00 for the Pep with discount and $159.00 + shipping for the Muscle. Why wouldnt the seals go out on the Muscle from heat? I dont race I just trail ride. Im basically getting this so when Im riding fast in fields and rutted trails that I wont have the handlebars jerk so bad. There's some fields that I ride in that are disked and would like to just ship over the tops of the disked ground at a high rate of speed. All the people I ride with dosent have them so I dont know what to expect.

400exRacerX
02-03-2002, 09:08 AM
The heat wouldn't wreck the muscle because the muscle mounts different than the PEP. The PEP mounts to the left side motor mount and the muscle mounts to one of the upper frame tubes by the bumper. I have a PEP and have had it for over a year and it hasn't gone bad yet. I think its a great stabilizer, although I have the better fully rebuildable PEP damper not the cheeper one. All and all the PEP is harder to mount, takes alot longer to adjust settings, and only hasa 3 settings compared to the muscle having 7. I have tried the muscle before and I like my PEP better. I just want you to realize the down sides of a PEP.

02-03-2002, 09:10 AM
I don't think th eheat will be a problem. When your moving heat is moved backward not forward. I had mine for 1 1/2 years and never had a problem out of it. The 400ex don't radiate that much head to the front of the machine. The PEP mounts on the stator side (oppsite of the exhaust). So i would go with the PEP.

Mity Mo
02-03-2002, 10:39 AM
Zooterboy you said you didnt have one on your 400 yet so how would you know. Not flamin ya but come on, I had one on my 400 and it sucked. The darn thing is in such a bind by the way you have to install it. And there is plenty of heat generated to the dampner. My advice to you is get one that mounts in the front. The PEP is not worth the extra headache. I have had it and it blows. Mo:(

TRFOXX
02-03-2002, 08:43 PM
Boy im getting a lot of different answers here! Still dont know what to do? Anyone else have any input on it?

02-03-2002, 09:09 PM
I have a 2002 400EX that I am setting up for hair scrambles, nothing serious, just C the class. A friend that rides vet a has one and says it works great, so I bought one too. We both have the PEP rebuildable, and are both impressed. As far as the cold thing goes, I have not noticed it and I've used it in temps down to about 15 degrees. I would recommend it to anyone looking for one. As far as installation, if it takes you longer than an hour, give up and take up pottery. After all your adding something new to your toy, not like your actually doing manual labor. If I have any problems with it I'll sure to post it, I don't think PEP produces junk though.

treehugger

MOFO
02-04-2002, 06:26 AM
I have one and my buddy has one. We've had them for over a year now. NO problems at all. Installation is not bad at all....nothing that cant be done in under 30 min and some "common sense" with tools.

As for the seals going bad because of heat....I've never seen this. Besides, I'm pretty sure PEP has it designed to deal with heat. How could they overlook "heat" as a possible issue when they designed the mount?!?!

Like I've said.....I have had no problems with it and would recommend it to anyone.

Eric

TRFOXX
02-04-2002, 09:34 AM
Great thanks for the replys guys, Your help is greatly appriciated!
If anypne else has anything to say about them im still listening.
I pick mine up tomorrow. Besides Rico dose anyone have the air scoops with the Pep stablizer? Did you have to modify them any?

Pepto_Bismol
02-04-2002, 10:57 AM
Is a steering dampener and a steering stabalizer the same thing, or two seperate items?

400exRacerX
02-04-2002, 01:43 PM
They are the same thing.

02-05-2002, 11:47 AM
Any preferences between the PEP and the DENTON?

MOOCAZEN
02-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Theres a track by my pad and the whoops are uneven, would this be good for it also i heard that if theres alot of turns you build arm pump fast, the track has alot of whoops and alot of berms, please help also

TRFOXX
02-05-2002, 01:32 PM
Well guys I sent the Pep back, It wouldnt fit around my air scoops. I called up Denton and ordered the 7 way adjustable/rebuildable one for $159.95 + $10.00 shipping.
I should of just taken your advise Rico! With the Denton you can mount it on the frame, with the Pep you had to mount it on the motor mounts. I hope this stablizer is as good as a lot of people says it is.

DTRAIN
02-25-2002, 10:12 AM
TRFOXX, I was just wondering what you thought of the denton steering stablizer.

02-25-2002, 10:39 AM
A friend of mine has a new denton on his 400 and I have a new PEP on my 400, I can not tell the difference, peformance wise. I can say he had a **** of a time getting it on, and I did not. As far as the heat bothering the PEP, I really don't think they would not consider that in their planning of the stabilizer.

The Treehugger

2002 Yellow 400EX
DG SuperTrap Full Exhaust, (Jetted for it too)
PEP Steering Stabilizer and EZ pull clutch lever
Pro Design Kill Switch, NACS Parking Brake Block
PRO TAPER Handle Bars with ACERBIS Brush Guards
NACS Foot Peg Extenders and Case Saver
Bandit XCR 23X7X10 Fronts, Bandit XC 20X10X9 on Douglas .190
PRM Swing Arm, Frame Guards, Summit Front Bumper
KN air filter, 14t Renthal Front
In the mail- AC Pro Peg nerfs
Soon to come maybe, just maybe ELKA ZPS

PsychoDave
02-25-2002, 11:49 AM
That heat thing is a bunch of BS...i have never had a problem!!!!

TRFOXX
02-25-2002, 12:15 PM
Well ive had some time to do some riding finally and the Denton dose a very good job. I had to set it on the 4th setting to notice any difference but it did suck up a lot of the bumps and was a smoother ride. It only took me 1/2 hour to install with the help of Ricos pics but it wasent that bad! I have Tinners air scoops so i would of had to do a lot of mods to them to get the Pep to fit. I didnt have to do any mods to the scoops with the Denton. Over all Im really pleased with them. :)

SGA
02-25-2002, 11:26 PM
I got the denton, works great at higher speeds, takes the jerking out of the bars. Did a test last weekend in a field. 75-100 yards of 2-3'' bumps. 30-40+ mph. set on #1, lots of bar shake #3 less shake. #5 I could fly across them, much better control. Also in last race, hooked a stump w/front left, it snatched the bars, dented the rim. Thought I broke my thumb/all o/k. prob would have without the stabilizer.