PDA

View Full Version : Cannondale Help!

Jennys440'Dale
09-29-2003, 07:53 AM
Last week, when we were getting ready to leave Hatfield McCoy, I started my cannondale and it started, but it popped right after being started. Now it won't even start. Took it home and set it in the shed. Haven't even looked at it to see what is wrong. I'm disgusted with it.

My question is: where do I start? I will for sure start with the spark plug, (I thought these spark plugs could go for a year without being replaced??) but if that is not the problem-- what do I do next? The quad will crank, but it won't start. :(

09-29-2003, 11:39 AM
It sounds like the problem my friend had. It turned out to be a electrical backfire that ended up shorting out the computer. It had to be replaced and a diode placed in the starters electrical circut. Call Ricky Stator, he seemed to have the answer to this question, but I have a bad feeling it will be the "brain" is fried.

ranger400ex
09-29-2003, 04:09 PM
If is set for a while and it backfired once...did you rev it while warming up. Probably a fouled plug...they don't do it often, but when the do..they won't start without a new one. I fouled my first plug last week since a full season. Started, ran a sec backfired then would just crank and backfire...changed the plug...good as new BTW it is a CR9EK

Ben!!

oldsandman
09-29-2003, 08:12 PM
You fouled the plug. Change it and you'll be good to go.

bradley300
09-29-2003, 11:00 PM
do you give it gas when you start it? if you do, stop! that seems to foul the plug quick

Braff1
09-30-2003, 01:29 AM
Jenny, you have to remember your Dale is like the fuel injection used in your car. You do not need to pump the gas due to the pressure developed by the fuel pump. If you read the direction, usally on the sun visor of your car it will tell you not to pump the gas when starting.

BTW how you liking your Dale other than recently?

Jennys440'Dale
10-02-2003, 06:19 AM
Whew..... just a bad spark plug. Fixed it last night. What a relief. Funny thing is, I NEVER pump the gas before I start it? So why would it have backfired and died??

Thanks again for the help!

Jennys440'Dale
10-02-2003, 06:23 AM
Originally posted by Braff1
Jenny, you have to remember your Dale is like the fuel injection used in your car. You do not need to pump the gas due to the pressure developed by the fuel pump. If you read the direction, usally on the sun visor of your car it will tell you not to pump the gas when starting.

BTW how you liking your Dale other than recently?

I never gave it gas before I started it, so I am still wondering why it backfired?? I never rev it while it is warming up. I turn the key, let the fuel pump run it's course, then start it and let it run for about a 1 1/2-2 minutes and then I go.

Braff-- I LOVE it. I know it may have some problems, but I knew this before I bought it. So, therefore I knew what I was getting into and all the risks involved.

I just hate changing the plug! Takes forever to get to!!! Any tips on how to get to the plug faster guys??? I think it took me about 20 minutes. Taking the plastic off and all!

oldsandman
10-02-2003, 09:46 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jennys440'Dale
I never gave it gas before I started it, so I am still wondering why it backfired?? I never rev it while it is warming up. I turn the key, let the fuel pump run it's course, then start it and let it run for about a 1 1/2-2 minutes and then I go...

I just hate changing the plug! Takes forever to get to!!! Any tips on how to get to the plug faster guys??? I think it took me about 20 minutes. Taking the plastic off and all! [/QUOTE

I've had it happen to me too...went through the proper starting procedure and it coughed and died. I don't know what it was and it hasn't done it again.

The plug change does stink! the only faster way is to trim the fenders and loose the heel gaurds, less fastners less time. Or buy fullbore plastic it comes off faster.

atvrulz
10-02-2003, 11:39 AM
use a power socket set to get the bolts off faster.

Every starting problem i have had was because of the spark plug in my cannondale moto.

ScooterX
10-11-2003, 12:51 PM
When I had my C-dale it would foul the plug if I putted around a lot. Like if you're in first and you lug it around a lot, it will possibly foul the plug. Also, if you start it and shut it off a lot in a short amount of time, it will also foul it... I guess because it's not really allowing it to burn the gas as good.