PDA

View Full Version : Is this bad?

slosh13
09-29-2003, 07:00 AM
I am running Chevron 15w30 motor oil in my 416. We called the representative of Chevron before i got my 400ex and started racing. He told my dad that it is highly recommended to be ran through four-cycle motorcycles/atvs. But on the other hand i have a handful of people telling me that it is an automobile oil and it will eat up my valves and clutches. What i dont understand is that the Chevron oil i am running is under all the guidlines as what is recommended by HONDA for the 400ex model. Is there a problem with my oil im running? What kind of oil do any of you fellow exriders use and/or recommend for me. If it makes any difference i am running straight 110 octane gasoline. thanks for your info.:)

44oEX
09-29-2003, 07:17 AM
the diff between car oil and bike oil is that car oil is not made to run in the transmision. if you use car motr oil in your car transmision it would't run to good, well the same thing works on bikes if you use car motor oil in your motor it would work BUT since it goes in the transmision and is not desined to. It will probably not harm anything cause my dad runs car oil in the 300 4by and I beatthe hell out of it and is still runs good But if you have access to bike oil ( Not synthetic ) you should spend the extra bucks and get it. I run belray 10W40 in the winter and 20W50 in the summer. But any bike oil will be better then car oil.

UglyMotha™
09-29-2003, 07:45 AM
"it will eat up your valves" :huh thats definantly a new one anyways i run 15w 50 mobile one synthetic in mine and have for years with out any problems and you'll find that alot of people on the boards do there's nothing wrong with running automobile oil in your bike the only problem that you will run into is in most automobile oil there will be friction modifiers which you need to watch out for cause they will cause your clutch to slip however all the moible 1's have these friction modifiers except the red cap 15w-50 most regular motor oils won't have these friction modifiers just the synthetics

northeast400
09-29-2003, 06:13 PM
This means your quad is no good and you should give it to me.:blah:

ridered86
09-29-2003, 06:29 PM
i used to run that 6 dollar a quart stuff but if you change your oil oftem just run some 10w-40 mobil, works for me.

northeast400
09-30-2003, 05:26 PM
I like to run amsoil 4-stroke 0w-40 synthetic

rap169
09-30-2003, 07:11 PM
well my quad is an 87 and has had castrol gtx 10w-40 since it was new. About 3 years ago i started running castrol syntec 10w40. About a week ago i pulled the engine apart to put my cam and weisco piston in, and everything looked brand new. I didnt even bore the cylinder, it was that good. I run my quad hard. Im a throttle junkie and love riding wide open. I dont know if its just hondas reliability, or the maitence on it, Its actually probally both, but i dont see any prob with car oil in an atv.

Out_Sider
09-30-2003, 08:32 PM
I like to run amsoil 4-stroke 0w-40 synthetic

Me 2!! automobile oil crystallized my clutch...so i am gonna be running amsoil 0w-40 with my 330

stonerider250x
10-01-2003, 07:30 PM
ive run castrol motor oil in my 250x for about 4 years and it hasnt hurt nothin but as soon as i get my 400ex all im gonna run is aimsoil. u should prolly change to an oil that wont eat ur valves or mess up ur clutch

UglyMotha™
10-02-2003, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by stonerider250x
ive run castrol motor oil in my 250x for about 4 years and it hasnt hurt nothin but as soon as i get my 400ex all im gonna run is aimsoil. u should prolly change to an oil that wont eat ur valves or mess up ur clutch

ok that's the second time where on earth are you guys finding oil that is goin to eat your valves :huh some oils will mess your clutch up but i pretty sure i've never came across any that eats valves :huh

10-02-2003, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
"it will eat up your valves" :huh thats definantly a new one anyways i run 15w 50 mobile one synthetic in mine and have for years with out any problems and you'll find that alot of people on the boards do there's nothing wrong with running automobile oil in your bike the only problem that you will run into is in most automobile oil there will be friction modifiers which you need to watch out for cause they will cause your clutch to slip however all the moible 1's have these friction modifiers except the red cap 15w-50 most regular motor oils won't have these friction modifiers just the synthetics

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif

UglyMotha™
10-02-2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by Rico
http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif

you goin to follow me around with that stupid sign all day or what and i'm not stupid just a little challenged:eek: :cuss:

:blah: :blah: :blah:

10-02-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
you goin to follow me around with that stupid sign all day or what and i'm not stupid just a little challenged:eek: :cuss:

:blah: :blah: :blah:

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/laughin_above.gif